Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dad really really really mad and upset at A level results Watch

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to suck your ****, stop being such a little *****, and behave like a man should and focus on teaching his son from his mistakes.

God dayum. Difficulty unites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Thanks but I'm not really looking to go to Russell Group Uni's. I want to apply to do LLB Law. I'm sure with good grades and a good Personal statement it shouldn't be a problem?
    Well, law is a very competitive course, and generally has some of the toughest entry requirements, but I'm sure a repeated year won't be a dealbreaker for every university. If you're unsure, try emailing the law department's undergraduate admissions people before applying - they won't be able to give you specifics, but they may be happy to tell you their general stance on repeated years.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    Well, law is a very competitive course, and generally has some of the toughest entry requirements, but I'm sure a repeated year won't be a dealbreaker for every university. If you're unsure, try emailing the law department's undergraduate admissions people before applying - they won't be able to give you specifics, but they may be happy to tell you their general stance on repeated years.
    Ok, thank you very much for you help and advice. Really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    No alternative? What about getting a job, or an apprenticeship?
    :rolleyes: Because nothing else exists apart from sixth form and getting into that university, right?

ReputationRep:
    Good motivation.

ReputationRep:
    Poor guy.

(Original post by ChickensUnited)
    I know why I didn't do well in my A levels, i was pressured to take subjects I didn't do well in at GCSE.
    Yes, it's everyone else's fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccadiane)
    I got 4 Ds in my AS results, which I guess is good because at least i didn't fail anything but i'm still shocked as I expected to get atleast a C in Sociology of English Language. I really don't know whether to send them off for remarking or retake the exams, but I really don't want to retake the year! That is something that I refuse to do! Will these marks affect next years final grades too, because if they do them i'm screwed haha. Someone reply please!
    Yes of course it matters, AS is 50% of your A level

ReputationRep:
    Maybe those A levels are just not for you, or maybe A levels are not your thing at all? Have a good think about what you are good at like essay subjects or more mathy, sciences based. Play on your strengths and work very hard!

It is not impossible to pull up grades and I have read alot of good stories on here. Although at AS I got ABD, and this year getting my results they were exactly the same overall which I was dissapointed by!

ReputationRep:
    What you can do mate is do a part time course which will mean you can have a trade that'll set you for a job, aka a back plan. As that's why I have enrolled to do floor and wall tiling and carpentry and joinery. You do have to pay, but smaller groups and its a proper qualification, there's sure to be something you'd like doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    No alternative? What about getting a job, or an apprenticeship?
    +1

ReputationRep:
    Hon, it depends on your aspirations and what you want out of life. I went to sixth form straight from secondary school and, apart from the fact I wasn't ready, they made me do a course I didn't want to do. I was going through a lot so I dropped out after receiving the worst grades I have ever received in my life (Es, Us...). I just worked for 3 years, depressed and disappointed in myself, and was formulating a plan to work my way up without education. However, I still wanted to achieve my dream of being a midwife, so I applied for an access course on a whim and somehow got in! I completed it this year and I'm now going to King's college university to do Adult Nursing (will be doing Midwifery conversion as a post-grad), a place I'd NEVER thought I'd be able to go to!

So, work out what you want to be, work out your routes and go for it. If education isn't your forte, try an apprenticeship, or your own business, or work your way up. If you like learning, go back to education. If you struggle with A-levels, try an access course (I LOVED mine) or BTEC, or foundation degree.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickensUnited)
    he's obviously doing it on purpose because he's that person who's working in an apprenticeship for plumbing
    I'm not going to get drawn into this pathetic argument, and I wish you all the best with resolving your problems.

However, if you're going to make statements like that, I think you should reallllllllly evaluate your current position in life, especially given your OP. Bigot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thr33)
    I'm not going to get drawn into this pathetic argument, and I wish you all the best with resolving your problems.

However, if you're going to make statements like that, I think you should reallllllllly evaluate your current position in life, especially given your OP. Bigot.
    Back in 2010 when i did my A levels, i didnt work hard at all. I thought it would be like GCSE and never understood ( or attempted to understand the depth of my subjects), so on results day i got U in chemistry, U in biology, U in physics and an E in maths A level. I felt depressed and felt like a loser....my parents were very upset with me. But then i went back to the same sixth form, and retook my A levels and worked extremely hard every single day no matter what. 2 days ago we got our results and i achieved A in sociology, B in chemistry and a B in maths. And now im going to university to study what i want to study.

The reason i told you this is because i want you to know that it is absolutely possible to get your career / education back on track and going! Just as others have already said, put in alot of effort everyday, take plently of breaks and work hard. For sociology, do a lot ofbessay plans, and learn key concepts by heart, if you intend to retake sociology again, that is. i mean, just 2 years....thats all ....work hard only for 2 years to make a big difference in the long run. I learnt my lesson the hard way, but i finally got there! and i wish you the very best for your education. Just concentrate and study hard, theres nothing to loose

ReputationRep:
    Okay im sorry, i just quoted the wrong person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thr33)

Thank you. Before this descended into foolishness all I was trying to say was that there is no need to denigrate a plumbing apprenticeship. You gain skills, you earn money, you help the community and it sure beats signing on benefits. Academia isn't for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt bother too much fella. Academia is a massive PILE OF ARSE.

ReputationRep:
    Work at them again and he will eventually understand. Lucy is a worthless gay retard.

ReputationRep:
    It looks to me as if you've done the same as what I did with my A-Levels and chose the hardest subjects, maybe you should look at doing something that is less overwhelming for you? I'm not sure about English or Chemistry but I've heard that Sociology and Economics are very demanding subjects to do at A-Level. It's all very well trying to please your dad but at the end of the day, it's your future and you've got to do what you feel the most confident and comfortable with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.