Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magician)
    As I'm coming at the end of my undergrad life, I'll be very happy to answer any Leicester medicine related questions!

Good luck to all those applying
    Thanks for doing this, I'll put a link to this thread in the main thread

I was wondering, if you fail an exam/OSCE etc do you get the opportunity to resit? And if you fail that resit, do you have to leave the course automatically?

(Original post by k1rby)
      Thanks for doing this, I'll put a link to this thread in the main thread

I was wondering, if you fail an exam/OSCE etc do you get the opportunity to resit? And if you fail that resit, do you have to leave the course automatically?
      Thank you :-).

In phase 1, you need a minimum of 2 (or 3 depending if there is an OSCE or not) 'borderline' passes as a minimum to proceed to the next year. Borderline pass equates to around 66% in the exam.
      so if you fail the January or June paper, you are automatically allowed to retake the exams for that year (called the qualifier paper) which is in the summer holidays. Failing the qualifiers would mean that you get kicked out unless if you have had long standing extenuating circumstances in which case you may be permitted to retake the entire year. But don't worry about that lol. You will pass the exams if you study smart
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      I am going to apply for graduate entry. Any idea what the cut of for interview. I work out I get 21/25 with two years experience as a nurse, is that likely to get me an interview?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Amyk89)
      I am going to apply for graduate entry. Any idea what the cut of for interview. I work out I get 21/25 with two years experience as a nurse, is that likely to get me an interview?

Thanks
      Hopefully a previous GEP medic will see and be able to answer fully, but as an indication undergraduate last year it was 56/57 out of 60 would get an interview (core made up form UKCAT+academics).
      I'm not sure where the out of 25 score is from or how experience is factored in. If you haven't seen the most uptodate admissions already info here it is http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msc...ug13incSJT.pdf
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by richtea5)
      Hopefully a previous GEP medic will see and be able to answer fully, but as an indication undergraduate last year it was 56/57 out of 60 would get an interview (core made up form UKCAT+academics).
      I'm not sure where the out of 25 score is from or how experience is factored in. If you haven't seen the most uptodate admissions already info here it is http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msc...ug13incSJT.pdf
      I dunno where that score came from, but looking at the link you sent me I should score 60 (thats if I am understanding the scoring of a levels correctly-that even if you got threes a's and a first you would only get 30)
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by richtea5)
      p.s. thanks for that

ReputationRep:
      Hey everyone, is there anyone out there who was interviewed at Leicester and is hoping to reapply?
      I'd really like to but would neeed a ukcat score of 700+ to be above the likely threshold and also re-applicants whilst being allowed need to 'significantly improve interview score from last year'.. I'm not going to risk it if I can't find out what is expected. Anyone in the same situation?

Hey all, thinking of applying here. It may sound a silly question but do you think 58/60 will make the cut-off for interview based on previous years?

ReputationRep:
        Not sure if I should apply with 57..
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        Statistics for A100 Home/EU applicants in the last (2013) UCAS cycle:

1) How many applications were there for medicine? - 2470 Home/EU
        2) What was the number of places available? - 162 places
        3) How many applicants were interviewed? - 809 Home/EU attended
        4) How many offers were made? - 347 Home/EU
        5) How many applicants who had Leicester as their firm or insurance missed their offer? 51 CF [conditional firm] or CI [conditional insurance] offers were not met
        6) How many applicants missed their offer but were accepted anyway? – 29 applicants
        So probability of getting an interview was 32.8% and probability of an offer after an interview was 42.9%.
        https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-423112

Wow Leicester are really good, if you miss your conditional offer!

(Original post by letsbehonest)
        Not sure if I should apply with 57..
        I had 57 last year and got an interview. Plus borderline scores get their personal statement scored,so even if the boundary does go higher, your personal statement could still mean you get an interview.
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Just had another look at the updated 2014 entry (for grads) and it is not out of 25 and only gives me 25... I scored better on the old systems... Not looking good for me anymore

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by PG593)
        Hey all, thinking of applying here. It may sound a silly question but do you think 58/60 will make the cut-off for interview based on previous years?
        Certainly, on the open-day they said the cut off last year was around 56/57

ReputationRep:
        hey guys got a total of 59 points according to the scoring...is that guaranteed an interview?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by EX1111)
        Hi, I also have an interview! Tomorrow right? Just getting some last tips from the forums. Good luck!
        hey i'm considering applying to Leicester but haven't had a chance to go the an open day yet! just wondering how far is it from London? is it possible to travel to and from uni on a daily basis or is it too far to do that?

ReputationRep:
        I am so confused of their scoring system. I've achieved my a level grades to AAA. How would that score? with GCSE I score a 25.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SiMan)
        I am so confused of their scoring system. I've achieved my a level grades to AAA. How would that score? with GCSE I score a 25.
        You get a point extra for each A* grade up to three you have (similar to what they do with each A at AS levels when applying with predicted grades), so your score for that section would stay as 25.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by k1rby)
        You get a point extra for each A* grade up to three you have (similar to what they do with each A at AS levels when applying with predicted grades), so your score for that section would stay as 25.
        Wasn't there extra points for those with completed Alevel?
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SiMan)
        Wasn't there extra points for those with completed Alevel?
        Afraid not. For some reason the links in my original post have stopped working but on the 2013 entry scoring of applications it says:

Additional points will be available for applicants who have already obtained A Levels.
        An additional point for each A* grade in the best 3 A level subjects, including Chemistry, up
        to the 30 points maximum total.

Please note:
        The AS results of candidates who have completed their A levels will not be taken into
        account in the assessment of academic attainment.
        You should email to check that it's still the same for 2014 seeing as they've taken down the document, but I'm pretty sure it was.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        Got a response from Leicester about their cut-off scores for 2013 entry!

Pre-interview cut-off scores for 2013: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._cut_off_score
        1) What was the combined academic + UKCAT score cut-offs (out of 60) for interview selection?
        A score of at least 57 and above was required to guarantee an interview for 2013 entry applications. A small number of candidates scoring 56 were invited for interview on the basis of a further assessment of their application forms.

2) Which scores out of 60 also had their personal statement scored for interview selection?
        See above (56).

3) Also, did these cut-off scores differ for those with a contextual flags? And how did they differ?
        No, but bonus points may have been added (dependant on Admissions Tutor discretion) which may have boosted their total score.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Kitnimohabbathai)
        hey guys got a total of 59 points according to the scoring...is that guaranteed an interview?
        You've posted on last year's thread. For 2014 entry, see here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2407255

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.