Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why does the university system actively discriminate against Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universityisobso)
    Except that anyone who isn't a quote academic gets discriminated against. As if reading was the only form of intelligent pursuit.
    You are not substantiating any of the claims you are making.

ReputationRep:
    And you are not a scientist.

ReputationRep:
    And you are not a scientist.
    What are you talking about?

I'm merely asking you to provide some sort of evidence to support what you're claiming.

You can't just say 'A is B' without some kind of argument supported by evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I do something like that

ReputationRep:
    Why would I do something like that
    Something like make a logical argument?

ReputationRep:
    If universities were for the greater good they would all be free and the so called academic standards that you love would be applied fairly to the entire population. But universities are just hideouts for seedy people who can't get real jobs.

ReputationRep:
    If universities were for the greater good they would all be free and the so called academic standards that you love would be applied fairly to the entire population. But universities are just hideouts for seedy people who can't get real jobs.
    1. I never said universities were for 'the greater good' - whatever that is.

2. I don't even know what you mean by 'the so called academic standards that you love would be applied fairly to the entire population' - what are you getting at?

3. What on earth are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks doc now I'm cured. I reported your post because it's off topic.
    It's in chat... Nothing happens if you go off topic in chat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    1. I never said universities were for 'the greater good' - whatever that is.
    Not everything is about you.

I'm talking about injustice in society. I guess you wouldn't understand, being privileged yourself.

Probably don't know anyone with a mental condition. This thread is not for you.

ReputationRep:
    how are academic standards not applied fairly across the population? get good grades you get into uni, get bad grades you don't. I fail to see how that is unfair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    It's part of the university culture and it can feel isolating if you're away from home, but don't want to take part in the typical student things.
    That entirely depends on the kind of person you are. Like anything you have to put in a little bit of effor and if you don't do anything but study then you will isolate yourself. I don't drink and didn't go to ant of the student union events/societies or partying etc. because it's not my thing. Instead, I'd ask people on the course if they wanted to go out during the day to a pub or cinema or something for a couple of hours.

As for people with autism, I'm not sure how they would be discriminated against? As far as I'm aware there are equal opportunities forms to prevent this and the courses are only assessed through your assignments and not any of the social aspects. On my course at uni there was one person with autism that I knew of and she fitted into the group really well.

ReputationRep:
    Not everything is about you.

I'm talking about injustice in society. I guess you wouldn't understand, being privileged yourself.

Probably don't know anyone with a mental condition. This thread is not for you.
    What injustice?

What privilege?

ReputationRep:
    The very injustice that keeps you coming back to this thread time after time to get your ass handed to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    That entirely depends on the kind of person you are. Like anything you have to put in a little bit of effor and if you don't do anything but study then you will isolate yourself. I don't drink and didn't go to ant of the student union events/societies or partying etc. because it's not my thing. Instead, I'd ask people on the course if they wanted to go out during the day to a pub or cinema or something for a couple of hours.

As for people with autism, I'm not sure how they would be discriminated against? As far as I'm aware there are equal opportunities forms to prevent this and the courses are only assessed through your assignments and not any of the social aspects. On my course at uni there was one person with autism that I knew of and she fitted into the group really well.
    Not everyone can cope in groups and there are only so many times you can try.

ReputationRep:
    The very injustice that keeps you coming back to this thread time after time to get your ass handed to you.
    lol what?

ReputationRep:
    OP you are kind of chatting out of your arse here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.