Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do we have to pay for a TV licence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    No adverts during the Olympics, Doctor Who, Sherlock, etc. is great.
    eh? so yeah, they'll show adverts in the middle of the 100 metre sprint?

Just like in football, they show ads in the non-active periods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.a1979)
    eh? so yeah, they'll show adverts in the middle of the 100 metre sprint?

Just like in football, they show ads in the non-active periods.
    During the opening ceremony of the Paralympic Games on Channel 4 they showed adverts on regular intervals which meant we missed quite a few nations walking into the stadium.

ReputationRep:
    Much of the license fee (it may be a majority, I'm not sure) goes to infrastructure which is used by all channels, not just the BBC. If those channels used their advertising revenue to pay for their share of the infrastructure, the license fee would be much lower, so don't yell at the BBC. Personally, I'm very happy to pay for the BBC, which produces very high quality work without so much of a worry over ratings that can cause works with artistic merit not to be made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrNameless)
    Much of the license fee (it may be a majority, I'm not sure) goes to infrastructure which is used by all channels, not just the BBC. If those channels used their advertising revenue to pay for their share of the infrastructure, the license fee would be much lower, so don't yell at the BBC. Personally, I'm very happy to pay for the BBC, which produces very high quality work without so much of a worry over ratings that can cause works with artistic merit not to be made.
    More of it goes to the BBC than to any other channel. You may be happy with the BBC, but other people may not be. My argument still stands.

ReputationRep:
    You've got to pay for the infrastructure, otherwise TV can't happen. If you don't like it, join an anti-BBC campaign, they do exist, or vote for a party that'll abolish it. Or don't have a TV?

ReputationRep:
    I don't watch tv anyway so I plan on not owning a tv or ever paying the license fee. I will stick to the internet for my television.

ReputationRep:
    I like the BBC, overall. BBC 2 is probably the best channel out there for new drama and good TV. They do everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrNameless)
    You've got to pay for the infrastructure, otherwise TV can't happen.
    The licence fee could be decreased if we didn't have to support the BBC. Not all of the money goes towards infrastructure.

If you don't like it, join an anti-BBC campaign, they do exist, or vote for a party that'll abolish it. Or don't have a TV?
    Thanks for the suggestions :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    can you watch bbc and itv iplayer without a license? I wouldn't mind waiting a day to watch program's as I can't afford the license to watch them live, and my uni doesn't have tv ariels in the rooms anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadeRhianna)
    can you watch bbc and itv iplayer without a license? I wouldn't mind waiting a day to watch program's as I can't afford the license to watch them live, and my uni doesn't have tv ariels in the rooms anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As for i-player, you only need a licence if you're watching live television; you don't need the licence to watch catch-up television. I'd imagine that the same applies for the ITV service.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion the BBC and licence fee should become a digital subscription based system, like Sky. ie, you subscribe, pay the annual fee, and you get given a digibox which can access live TV. Choose not to subscribe or stop paying and you simply won't be able to access any channels. All the technology and infrastructure for a system like this has been in place for decades, so why on Earth does the BBC still feel the need to use mafioso style intimidation and coercion to fund itself?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.