Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowena7338)
    Thank you for your reply, are you allowed to do that? If they do not want him I wish they would just say. Then we could make plans, if they say yes, they is so much to organise, we also live on the South Coast so lots of organising etc. Would you know when they have to make a decision by? It sort of feels like begging, which seems bizzare with this set of results.

I read this somewhere, all the universities, even the top ones like Oxford have to leave some places empty for clearing people to give chance to low ability people to get in. So it will be worth calling up the university, through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    From what I hear, Durham is waiting until tomorrow to have a big session on deciding who to go for, so maybe things will move on then. I'm going away for a week first thing tomorrow, so by the time I get back, all this will be sorted, so I'll just wish the very best of luck to both of you.
    I think TSR is going to mark this for next year. There will be people disappointed in their Durham decision who will have seen courses they could have had evaporate (not through any cap but sheer physical space on courses) through Durham's delay.

Apart from art and teaching courses (and they want portfolios or to interview/conduct anti-weirdness check) I am not aware of anyone else who operates a gathered field in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abubakar261)
    I read this somewhere, all the universities, even the top ones like Oxford have to leave some places empty for clearing people to give chance to low ability people to get in. So it will be worth calling up the university, through clearing.
    Oxford does not clear and never has. Cambridge hasn't cleared for about 20 years. No university has a quota for stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think TSR is going to mark this for next year. There will be people disappointed in their Durham decision who will have seen courses they could have had evaporate (not through any cap but sheer physical space on courses) through Durham's delay.

Apart from art and teaching courses (and they want portfolios or to interview/conduct anti-weirdness check) I am not aware of anyone else who operates a gathered field in clearing.
    Yes, it seems cruel and unusual. It will backfire on them, I'm sure, as some of the best candidates will have made their decision not to wait and looked elsewhere. Liking anti-weirdness check. There are so many circumstances in which I could apply that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    From what I hear, Durham is waiting until tomorrow to have a big session on deciding who to go for, so maybe things will move on then. I'm going away for a week first thing tomorrow, so by the time I get back, all this will be sorted, so I'll just wish the very best of luck to both of you.
    :eek: that's not allowed :eek:

One for all and all for one, remember??

Have a good time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abubakar261)
    The University of Oxford has no places available through UCAS Clearing, Extra or Adjustment. It is no longer possible to apply for a place to begin studying here in 2013.

This is from Oxford's website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    :eek: that's not allowed :eek:

One for all and all for one, remember??

Have a good time
    Thanks! Tbh, I've dropped the ball a few times in this year's clearing - forgetting the obvious stuff, like NHS bursaries and the like. I think I need to clear my head or I'll be doing more harm than good!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, just logged on.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Just an update. No news from Durham! Have contact both the university and UCAS to be told wait for the email. Durham have said wait for email, possibly Wednesday. Getting really nervous if they wish to speak to my son, he has a two day mini internship in London Thursday and Friday with RBS so he will have to try and talk if he is fortunate enough to get an offer in the middle of the course. I had no idea clearing would be so stressful. To anybody else in the situation I feel really, really sorry for you and your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Your word is my command :tongue:

The syntax is:

[ quote=username]random words or symbols[ /quote] - but remove the spaces. QFA (quoted for attention) is often used.

Welcome to TSR. Another parent here, who joined TSR on the back of one of my offspring's crisis...

If I have understood things correctly, your son had a firm offer at Warwick which he missed, and they wouldn't take him. His insurance was UCL but he's secured a release from that, so he is now in Clearing waiting on a decision from Durham as to whether they can offer him a place. I am assuming that he hasn't got to the stage of being asked to enter Durham as his Clearing choice?

I saw somewhere, now can't remember where, that for some courses at least Durham were going through some kind of 'gathered field' process early next week. The good news is that with those grades being well above the ABB watershed Durham can take him if they want to, without messing up their quotas. Not knowing which course we're talking about (presumably it was Maths, but is it still?) capacity may be an issue.

What I would suggest is that your son checks on Monday whether the course he is being considered for is definitely offered in Durham city rather than at the Stockton campus - they are quite different and, if we're being truthful, pretty separate from each other, even though the great and the good go to great lengths to promote the notion of one big happy family. One of my children went to Durham city and had a ball, another of my acquaintance went to Stockton and also had a ball, and both landed up with very good jobs on graduating.

In his shoes, I would look around and see what else might be on offer elsewhere. If he's looking for Maths courses his prospects of finding something he wants are reasonably good even at this point. I'd suggest contacting the key unis for his course even if they say they aren't still in Clearing, on the basis that they might have had an unexpected vacancy arise, or they like his grades so much they'd take him anyway, given that there are no external limits on the numbers of people with ABB and better a uni can take.

If Durham are taking their own sweet time and/or decide against making him an offer, he will feel much better for having talked to other unis. He doesn't have to accept anything if he doesn't want to, this would be entirely without obligation. That only enters into the equation once he has entered a Clearing choice on his Track - and even then he can withdraw his application if he decided he wanted to.

Finally, it is an option for him to take a gap year instead and this may be no bad thing either. He can re-apply with solid grades, and he might even think about a slight change of tack in terms of course choice. I am sure he would be able to find plenty of productive things to do during that year, and some of them might even be paid

As you said, it's horrible that he doesn't feel able to celebrate his considerable achievements yet, but he will, and while his life is taking a slightly different path from the one he expected it will still lead him to many good things.
    Hello sorry for the delay in replying, I am only just getting used to how this works. Thank you for the advice it is very much appreciated. We are still waiting to hear from Durham. My son has telephoned several times to both Durham and UCAS, however he is always told the same wait for an email. Today I telephoned myself to be informed that an email should be sent the latest Wednesday. You were indeed correct to say they may have a 'gathered field'. My son has looked at other options, but at this stage there are not suitable ones in clearing. No one seems to know when a final decision will or should be made. Thanks once again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowena7338)
    Hello sorry for the delay in replying, I am only just getting used to how this works. Thank you for the advice it is very much appreciated. We are still waiting to hear from Durham. My son has telephoned several times to both Durham and UCAS, however he is always told the same wait for an email. Today I telephoned myself to be informed that an email should be sent the latest Wednesday. You were indeed correct to say they may have a 'gathered field'. My son has looked at other options, but at this stage there are not suitable ones in clearing. No one seems to know when a final decision will or should be made. Thanks once again
    Well, at least they know he's interested!

There's nothing much I can add at this stage, except that fingers are crossed (figuratively speaking, of course :tongue: otherwise this message wouldn't make much progress). Keep us posted.

This isn't doing Durham's reputation any good at all. Really poor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.