Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do cyclists have to follow the speed limit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My record is 65kmh in a 50kmh zone.

Tbh, if I were you I would better make sure there isn't a lot of traffic around. I live in a rural area so going down hills that fast is ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    My record is 65kmh in a 50kmh zone.

Tbh, if I were you I would better make sure there isn't a lot of traffic around. I live in a rural area so going down hills that fast is ok.
    To be pedantic, if you're in the UK, we don't have 50kmh zones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selnec)
    To be pedantic, if you're in the UK, we don't have 50kmh zones
    To be pedantic, if you don't live in the UK, we do have 50km/h zones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    To be pedantic, if you don't live in the UK, we do have 50km/h zones.
    Hence the qualifier in the middle of the sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selnec)
    Hence the qualifier in the middle of the sentence.
    Then what's your point? I just mentioned the kmh because had I said 65 in a 50 and people thought mph then that would have been quite extreme dont you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I'm not sure if cyclists have to obey the same speed limits as cars
    Yes - Cyclists do have to obey the speed limits on any road and these are the same limits as motor vehicles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simon_Winns)
    Yes - Cyclists do have to obey the speed limits on any road and these are the same limits as motor vehicles.
    Find a post on there that confirms bicycles are restricted to speed limits? I can't find anything, just want to make sure I'm not missing it.

ReputationRep:
    I got a pretty stern telling off for making a 40mph camera flash me, but the officer didnt seem to have anything he could actually charge me with...

ReputationRep:
    I always thought you did have to follow the speed limits as I thought they applied to all road users? Correct me if im wrong though, I very well may be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmitch)
    I always thought you did have to follow the speed limits as I thought they applied to all road users? Correct me if im wrong though, I very well may be!
    You are wrong. See, for example, near the bottom: http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-ar...g-and-the-law/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmitch)
    Well the RTRA explicitly states:

"It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour."

Also:

"A person who drives a motor vehicle on a road at a speed exceeding a limit imposed by or under any enactment to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence."

ReputationRep:
    Of course whilst the speed limit technically doesn't apply to bikes in most cases, there are offences of cycling dangerously/carelessly/inconsiderately. You may find it hard to argue you weren't cycling dangerously if you were obviously breaking the speed limit.

I may have accidentally negged someone whilst scrolling. If you care about rep, apologies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.