Turn on thread page Beta

Video game violence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextyler7)
    I just don't care.
    Ah that's the one, the bit where they pretend they don't care. Yet they still post...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccaxheapes)
    I think a factor in this is parents letting an underage child play a game made for 18+. It is obvious children copy what they see, and if they know it is "naughty" some children tend to repeat it even more. I have done work exp. in Primary schools and some children would be playing games in the playground based on COD, no joke. So yeah in my opinion games can cause violence, especially if people are exposed at a young age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Boys have played games based on being the army for years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccaxheapes)
    I think a factor in this is parents letting an underage child play a game made for 18+. It is obvious children copy what they see, and if they know it is "naughty" some children tend to repeat it even more. I have done work exp. in Primary schools and some children would be playing games in the playground based on COD, no joke. So yeah in my opinion games can cause violence, especially if people are exposed at a young age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rubbish. When I was a kid Nintendo was all the rage, games simply weren't violent, we played Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong... and do you want to know a little rhyme that used to be all over the playground...:

"Bang bang you're dead, 50 bullets in your head".

Now we all used to say that. At that point in my life I had likely never shot a single virtual human. But we had rhymes about being shot in the head. We also used to play toy guns. As i'm sure my parents did. And my parents parents did. So simply saying you have seen kids playing games based on CoD means... nothing. Absolutely nothing. The same proportion of those children will grow up to be decent, law abiding citizens as if none of them had ever heard of Call of Duty. You're just like the grumpy old men that tried to stamp down on Elvis because he 'depraved the children', and just as they had no evidence and were proven wrong, you have no evidence and will be proven wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Many psychology journals used for universities are open access and are peer reviewed. You could look there as it's a popular topic.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.