Frank Ribery (13)
7.74%
rickfloss
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by economist2)
Ronaldo's inability to take on players is the reason he wont win this year(even though he has more goals).It doesnt take a genius to know which player is more entertaining on the pitch.Messi cuts past players and scores goals.Ronaldo is dependant on his teammates passing abilities to score.Also, for Ronaldo its either trophies or goals....He cant get both....Messi can.

I'm sure most Man U fans know the fact but they cannot betray their idol and hence the difference in the poll.Its understandable,but the voters are unbiased and have no such obligation.I would'nt mind if Ronaldo won,really.The guy loses out on so many awards and records because of Messi.This year he has a good chance.
No one cares about dribbleing

They like to see a man jump as high as someones shoulders and score a header with an unbelievable amount of force.

Ronaldo personally also seems like a much nicer guy then messi, and you can see this when people post about meeting their idols, and also ronaldo doesnt tax avoid

Being a nice guy+ being a physical god+ actually working very hard to become one( compared to when ronaldo first started at manchester united)( unlike messi) makes him in my eyes the best footballer in the world at the moment

And its not the amount of goals you score that matter, its who your opposition is, thats why i believe ribery should be much higher up in the voting.

Scoring a hatrick against Sevilla is NOT the same as scoring a hatrick against dortmund or bayern munich/barcelona

An example of this is REALS poor perfomance against barcelona and Atletico madrid.

But when you score a hatrick against a team like sweden with someone just as dangerous as ibrahimovic, i think thats when you become a contendor.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Ballon D'or seems like a flawed concept to me. If you're deciding who the best player in the world is based on votes, you introduce so much bias into the decision. Casillas thinks his teammate Ronaldo should with. Buffon thinks his teammate Pirlo should win. Thiago Silva thinks his teammate Ibrahimovic should win. Zidane wants either his player Ronaldo or his countryman Ribery to win etc. Messi will undoubtedly win votes simply because he's the most popular footballer around, nice guy, humble personality etc. People have short memories too, they'll vote for whoever's been doing well recently rather than over the year. Defenders and goalkeepers are always overlooked, because goals and assists are far more memorable than saves and tackles.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
The Ballon D'or seems like a flawed concept to me. If you're deciding who the best player in the world is based on votes, you introduce so much bias into the decision. Casillas thinks his teammate Ronaldo should with. Buffon thinks his teammate Pirlo should win. Thiago Silva thinks his teammate Ibrahimovic should win. Zidane wants either his player Ronaldo or his countryman Ribery to win etc. Messi will undoubtedly win votes simply because he's the most popular footballer around, nice guy, humble personality etc. People have short memories too, they'll vote for whoever's been doing well recently rather than over the year. Defenders and goalkeepers are always overlooked, because goals and assists are far more memorable than saves and tackles.
Many defenders are the foundations of consistent and game winning teams, I agree 100% that they should get more recognition.
cos71292
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
its either between ronaldo or heskey :/
economist2
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rickfloss)
No one cares about dribbleing

They like to see a man jump as high as someones shoulders and score a header with an unbelievable amount of force.

Ronaldo personally also seems like a much nicer guy then messi, and you can see this when people post about meeting their idols, and also ronaldo doesnt tax avoid

Being a nice guy+ being a physical god+ actually working very hard to become one( compared to when ronaldo first started at manchester united)( unlike messi) makes him in my eyes the best footballer in the world at the moment

And its not the amount of goals you score that matter, its who your opposition is, thats why i believe ribery should be much higher up in the voting.

Scoring a hatrick against Sevilla is NOT the same as scoring a hatrick against dortmund or bayern munich/barcelona

An example of this is REALS poor perfomance against barcelona and Atletico madrid.

But when you score a hatrick against a team like sweden with someone just as dangerous as ibrahimovic, i think thats when you become a contendor.
hehehe....you're funny...
Only the bold part confuses me....
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One game doesn't make you a contender for the Ballon D'or the competition is based over that whole year not the most recent months :rofl:
rickfloss
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
One game doesn't make you a contender for the Ballon D'or the competition is based over that whole year not the most recent months :rofl:
well,theoretically it could, if that game was the champions league final, and you single handidly helped your team win it, then you would be a very strong contendor, even though your crappy stats against your league teams dont shine.

But like i said, ronaldo's perfomance has been all round brilliant
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
Ribery going on about Ballon Dor still Christ...
LOL, what's he said now?

I imagine how he'll react when he doesn't win it:

Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rickfloss)
well,theoretically it could, if that game was the champions league final, and you single handidly helped your team win it, then you would be a very strong contendor, even though your crappy stats against your league teams dont shine.

But like i said, ronaldo's perfomance has been all round brilliant
But it wasn't a champions league or even World Cup final so it doesn't matter :lol:
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anybody find it ironic that Ronaldo could win it over Messi because he won them the playoff, when Argentina had already qualified :holmes: It's also amusing how 3 of these 4 ended up in playoffs.

Messi is the best player in the world. It's a flawed concept, but he should get it.
xmertic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only reason anyone wouldn't pick Ronaldo is because his club don't win as many titles... but if he can singlehandedly carry Portugal to the world cup and everyone knows how beast he is for Madrid... he scores at least one nearly every game. Then there is no reason not to vote for him. He deserves it more, he's a better player ALL ROUND than Messi. I'd rather have him in my team than Messi. Ribery is good, but not as consistent. So Ronaldo, easily.
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xmertic)
The only reason anyone wouldn't pick Ronaldo is because his club don't win as many titles... but if he can singlehandedly carry Portugal to the world cup and everyone knows how beast he is for Madrid... he scores at least one nearly every game. Then there is no reason not to vote for him. He deserves it more, he's a better player ALL ROUND than Messi. I'd rather have him in my team than Messi. Ribery is good, but not as consistent. So Ronaldo, easily.
Single-handedly? You act like Portugal have a terrible team! Plus they only made it through via the playoffs.

When Real won it last year, that was Ronaldo's chance. Now he hasn't won a trophy. It'd be silly if a World Cup playoff that Messi's Argentina didn't need to play themselves gets him the best player in the world accolade.

He isn't a better player all-round than Messi. Firstly, what does this even mean? Arguably Yaya Toure is a better 'all-round' player than Ronaldo. 'All-round' does not equal better. I've heard this argument too many times.

Messi's stats beat Ronaldo's every year for the last 5 years.
Scratchyjam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would absolutely love Zlatan to win it. Such a bloody legend and i'd love to see what his reaction would be like if he did. Although I don't think he will, the French ligue is weaker than other major European top flights, but he still plays class for Sweden which is one of the reasons I admire him.

I think Ronaldo deserves it this time round though, to be fair. I really do think he deserves it.
xmertic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by little_wizard123)
Single-handedly? You act like Portugal have a terrible team! Plus they only made it through via the playoffs.

When Real won it last year, that was Ronaldo's chance. Now he hasn't won a trophy. It'd be silly if a World Cup playoff that Messi's Argentina didn't need to play themselves gets him the best player in the world accolade.

He isn't a better player all-round than Messi. Firstly, what does this even mean? Arguably Yaya Toure is a better 'all-round' player than Ronaldo. 'All-round' does not equal better. I've heard this argument too many times.

Messi's stats beat Ronaldo's every year for the last 5 years.
They do, have a bad team. They have no proper striker who is that good. There good players; Ronaldo, Pepe, Coentrao, Moutinho, Nani is okay for portugal, Danny and Joao Pereira.

Messi isn't the best player in the world though. He is a better all round player, Ronaldo has better skill, better strength, better at heading, shooting, passing and pace. The only thing I'd say Messi is better than Ronaldo at is dribbling. Yaya Toure isn't in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo, don't embarrass yourself. It does, or at least I'd say all round is better because I'd rather have someone who could bring more attributes to the team.

Messi's stats haven't been better for the past 5 years, I doubt it anyway. But that's the past, lets focus on this season shall we? Ronaldo has scored more than Ribery and Messi combined! You could go on your little rant about Messi being injured. But this is this season which is what effects the Balon D'or so I rest my case.

Ultimately, no matter who you prefer, it is an opinion so the fact you started arguing with me about it is stupid. I'll leave it there.
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They do, have a bad team. They have no proper striker who is that good. There good players; Ronaldo, Pepe, Coentrao, Moutinho, Nani is okay for portugal, Danny and Joao Pereira.

Messi isn't the best player in the world though. He is a better all round player, Ronaldo has better skill, better strength, better at heading, shooting, passing and pace. The only thing I'd say Messi is better than Ronaldo at is dribbling. Yaya Toure isn't in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo, don't embarrass yourself. It does, or at least I'd say all round is better because I'd rather have someone who could bring more attributes to the team.

Messi's stats haven't been better for the past 5 years, I doubt it anyway. But that's the past, lets focus on this season shall we? Ronaldo has scored more than Ribery and Messi combined! You could go on your little rant about Messi being injured. But this is this season which is what effects the Balon D'or so I rest my case.

Ultimately, no matter who you prefer, it is an opinion so the fact you started arguing with me about it is stupid. I'll leave it there.
Yeah, terrible players :rolleyes:

I said arguably better all-round player. Not better. Learn to read - this is why I asked you tell me what you meant by 'all-round'. I also said arguably. I asked you to define all-round but you refused.

You doubt it? :lol: Don't argue that I'm wrong if you don't even know. There's evidence, if you bothered to look. You also clearly have no idea what the Ballon D'Or is if you think it's based on this season. Sort it out.

If it's so subjective like you say, you have to expect people arguing against you. If it were so objective, there would be no case for arguing against your point as you'd either be right or wrong. I just had a problem with you saying Ronaldo should win it 'easily'.

And you genuinely believe Ronaldo is a better passer than Messi? No wonder you don't want to have a proper discussion.
xmertic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Look who can't read now... I said they are the GOOD players.

I did define all round by saying Ronaldo is better than Messi in a variety of areas minus dribbling. No I don't because I simple voiced my opinion, I didn't want people like you replying arguing the case, I simply voiced my opinion, I didn't want to discuss it! That's why I don't want to discuss it, because I didn't post to discuss, I posted to voice my opinion.

So goodbye.
Alpha brah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spurs for sure. Best player in the world.
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Look who can't read now... I said they are the GOOD players.

I did define all round by saying Ronaldo is better than Messi in a variety of areas minus dribbling. No I don't because I simple voiced my opinion, I didn't want people like you replying arguing the case, I simply voiced my opinion, I didn't want to discuss it! That's why I don't want to discuss it, because I didn't post to discuss, I posted to voice my opinion.

So goodbye.
A team minus Ronaldo should qualify for the World Cup, so it's not a massive case in favour of Ronaldo carrying them.

That's not a definition. I could do the same with Yaya Toure and Ronaldo, so it proves nothing unless you define it properly.

Well since they got rid of negs, I have to reply to things I disagree with, apparently. So if you post silly things, seeing as this is a forum, you're likely to get responses disagreeing with you. If you then reply to them in an inaccurate and condescending way, people will then reply again. I know that's not how you view a forum, but most others do view it as a way of discussion.
xmertic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Portugal would have got destroyed by Sweden if it weren't for Ronaldo. Did you not watch the game?

It does define, he has better all round attributes.

No you don't, there is no obligation for you to reply. You chose to reply. It wasn't silly though was it, look at the poll results as of yet, 51 votes for Ronaldo, 7 for Messi. 50 people agree with me, 6 people agree with you. So that's not really all that silly is it? It is a way of a discussion yes, but this was a type of forum post where I simply wanted to put my opinion out there. You probably replied to start this debate because you like arguing with people.

I can't be bothered replying anymore, put all my points across and you obviously are quite stubborn. So I'll leave it now

P.s. Just because there is no neg rating doesn't mean you have to reply
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Portugal would have got destroyed by Sweden if it weren't for Ronaldo. Did you not watch the game?

It does define, he has better all round attributes.

No you don't, there is no obligation for you to reply. You chose to reply. It wasn't silly though was it, look at the poll results as of yet, 51 votes for Ronaldo, 7 for Messi. 50 people agree with me, 6 people agree with you. So that's not really all that silly is it? It is a way of a discussion yes, but this was a type of forum post where I simply wanted to put my opinion out there. You probably replied to start this debate because you like arguing with people.

I can't be bothered replying anymore, put all my points across and you obviously are quite stubborn. So I'll leave it now

P.s. Just because there is no neg rating doesn't mean you have to reply
Yes I did. Why didn't they qualify from the group?

No it does not define. Like I said, I could give you 10 attributes that Yaya is greater than Ronaldo. Can you see the flaw in that logic?

No. That's entirely incorrect and flawed. I have not been arguing that Ronaldo doesn't deserve it. I have been arguing against the points that you have been making for Ronaldo. If I said Ronaldo deserves it because he's better looking than Messi, and somebody disagrees with that, they're not saying Ronaldo shouldn't win it. Again. Logic. I disagreeing with your arguments.

:lol: You're assuming I like arguing with people just because I disagree with what you say, and every time you reply you say something that's incorrect or flawed? Okay.

Nah, it does mean I have to reply. You said you were leaving it ages ago.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads