Dropped Out of University Watch

Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by vickiwithanI)
I'm considering dropping out too, and applying to a uni closer to home for September 2014, but I'm worried I've left it a bit too late in terms of UCAS.

I'm not enjoying the uni experience at all, I'm quiet and don't enjoy drinking, so the whole drinking culture of uni isn't for me. I can never get any sleep because everyone else in my halls are so loud when they pre-drink/ go out every night. At my uni, we are made to do 3 courses in our first year, and I'm really struggling with one of them (economics) in which we have tests every 6 weeks. I spend all my time panicking and worrying over these tests and don't get to spend time focusing on the other 2 subjects I've chosen. I've already failed the first economics test and I know i'm going to fail the others, and the exam. I've been home for Christmas for 3 weeks now and I still can't sleep for worrying about uni. I end up crying a lot.

Really don't know what to do.
I remember when applying for uni I had to have everything completed and sent by December but I'm sure you can find a date on the UCAS site to check if you still have time.

Regarding the courses I understand where you're coming from since I had to do 3 courses and a mandatory course about linguistics which I really did not care about or even want to do in the first place. I wouldn't put yourself so down like what I did, you may surprise yourself and pass the other tests and the exam.

I hated the uni experience too but it was mainly because I was living at home and felt like I was missing out on all of the fun aspects of uni life. Applying for a uni closer to home might be the better option for you as it does have its advantages. If you do end up applying for another uni closer to home just make sure you're still getting involved with societies and making friends. I didn't really get involved with anything like that and that's probably why I hated uni so much as I was just constantly working yet still not getting any further forward with grades and homework.

I cried a lot too but I can assure you that after dropping out, the crying doesn't stop. It might be different for you if you're re-applying but for me I felt like a failure and as I was having no luck with finding any jobs I felt like I had nothing to live for and suffered depression for a while.

Overall if you do finally decide to drop out, be ready to have lots of people trying to make you change your mind or tell you that you're making the wrong decision. As long as you have thought everything completely through, the most important thing is that you're happy at the end of the day.
carehow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've nothing useful to add, but I just wanted to say that it's really comforting hearing all of these stories. I loathe my degree and I'm no good at it (I'm better at humanities, but I'm studying a science). I'm going to try and stick it out but I might be forced to leave university due to it looking possible I'll fail this year, and I've pretty much accepted it's going to make me miserable. The only reason I haven't dropped out and considered applying for a course more suited to my strengths is because I stupidly hold myself to certain standards, I'm not sure how to break that rut. I'm not sure if I could live with myself if I didn't do this course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by carehow)
I've nothing useful to add, but I just wanted to say that it's really comforting hearing all of these stories. I loathe my degree and I'm no good at it (I'm better at humanities, but I'm studying a science). I'm going to try and stick it out but I might be forced to leave university due to it looking possible I'll fail this year, and I've pretty much accepted it's going to make me miserable. The only reason I haven't dropped out and considered applying for a course more suited to my strengths is because I stupidly hold myself to certain standards, I'm not sure how to break that rut. I'm not sure if I could live with myself if I didn't do this course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound like a stubborn fool like myself! . Common sense will prevail or fate will take its course. Either way, what is meant to happen will happen! That's how I see things these days

Posted from TSR Mobile
flan123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Spaceghosties i'm in exactly the same position as you: I've gone to university and found out i have depression and severe anxiety making doing any work very difficult and keeping up with assignments almost impossible. I too have found the course i'm on either very confusing or very dull with a very large work load and little support.

I have made many 'friends' at university but my depression and anxiety is so bad that even seeing them is difficult and like you most of my friends are either in second year or having a great time in first year.

How have you dealt with your depression and anxiety and what has made you think you are in a good state of mind to return to university? I'm also contemplating dropping out and getting therapy however i'm unsure of my options regarding future qualification or what career path i want to follow.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nfergs)
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?
hi howre you holding up since dropping out? I found it tough at first but when i got a job and got into a routine it wasn't so bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
noobynoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good luck, I hope you find something you enjoy doing.
Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
hi howre you holding up since dropping out? I found it tough at first but when i got a job and got into a routine it wasn't so bad
From my previous posts you could probably tell that I was having a rough time... so much so I was pretty suicidal to be honest.

However I signed up with the job centre (which was pretty lucky as I got hit with student fee repayments) and I've not yet found a job however my career advisor got me a place volunteering at Cancer Research. I've been there for almost a week now and I've learned so much in so little time - I'd highly recommend anyone to volunteer somewhere to gain experience. Since volunteering I feel more motivated and it's better than sitting doing nothing whilst being depressed all day. I've had no luck with any employers getting back in touch but oh well. :dontknow:
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I regret not knowing myself well enough and choosing the wrong uni and course for me. I put my family through a lot of emotional and financial stress in dropping out. I'm taking a second gap year and going again in September, but this time I won't let reputation and snobbery get in the way and I'm choosing a uni that's right for me.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Add!ction)
I regret not knowing myself well enough and choosing the wrong uni and course for me. I put my family through a lot of emotional and financial stress in dropping out. I'm taking a second gap year and going again in September, but this time I won't let reputation and snobbery get in the way and I'm choosing a uni that's right for me.
good move mate! i dropped of uni 4 times. Ended up getting a degree in the end but boy i'd have made life much easier if i went to a place i was happy at!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vitamin D
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dropped out of a geography degree at Dundee university at the end of 2012. I'd passed first year and was due to sit my first batch of second year exams and I just couldn't find the motivation or interest in it anymore so I came back home. Took a few months out to look for work (had to sign on JSA), and applied for a HNC course in Applied Science. Got accepted onto that and I've been studying again since August 2013 I've now got offers from Glasgow university for Biochemistry and Molecular and Cellular Biology and I'll most likely be heading there in September this year it's been a bit of a long road but I'm feeling so much happier this time around and I'm actually excited to go to my chosen uni!

Dropping out isn't an easy thing to do and I dealt with a lot of feelings of guilt and general uselessness during my time out, but it's worth it to say that I'm finally satisfied with my choices

I've also been lucky in my situation because my family are able to put money towards helping me financially as now my funding situation is a right mess, I'll have to pay my own tuition for the first two years of my new degree but as I'm Scottish it's only £1820 a year and not £9000

Posted from TSR Mobile
retired ca
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you got a Careers Service at your university where you can pop along for a non judgemental chat?
username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?
It's nice to know I'm not alone.

My case is a bit different because I'm American. I have never made it to university, just two year colleges. But I was actually kicked out of the first one because my grades were so bad. I hated it so much. The second college was better, but I became really depressed and I ended up dropping out. One big thing for me was I never was completely sure of what I wanted to study and I'm the type that needs to know. I need something to work towards. Now I'm almost 27 (!!!) and at another college, but I know what I want to study and that I want to do it in England. It has taken so long and sometimes I feel like a loser, but I just wasn't ready when I was 18.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1229433
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I.
Pursue*

Posted from TSR Mobile
mjj22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by babyshawte)
I.
Pursue*

Posted from TSR Mobile
ure over 80 days late mate tsk tsk
cherryblossom23
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Add!ction)
Its great to see that I'm not alone. I completely doubted myself when it came to my choices regarding university and I wish I had just believed in myself a lot more.

I've dropped out for over a month now and I still feel guilty and ashamed at times but in the end, dropping out was the right thing to do for me. I'm going to start a different course at a different uni in September - looking forward to a new start. Just worrying about implications with student finance now!
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cherryblossom23)
Its great to see that I'm not alone. I completely doubted myself when it came to my choices regarding university and I wish I had just believed in myself a lot more.

I've dropped out for over a month now and I still feel guilty and ashamed at times but in the end, dropping out was the right thing to do for me. I'm going to start a different course at a different uni in September - looking forward to a new start. Just worrying about implications with student finance now!
Took me a while to sort student finance but I believe they're just letting me keep the first instalment, so I'll just keep it by for next year.

I think people underestimate how big a step going to uni is. You have to be 100% happy with the decisions you make, as long as you have no regrets then all is good.
phillip05morgan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dropping out of university is not harmful if you wish to pursue something of your choice or your interest. Many students are unsure as to what they wish to pursue their career in and hence take up subjects or a course that is not of their choice. However, when they do identify what they wish to take up they drop out of their course and take up their desired course of study.
So figure out what you wish to do further in terms of career and then plan your path that way.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cherryblossom23)
Just worrying about implications with student finance now!
If you've dropped out in your first year, you'll still get your full SF entitlement for a three or four year degree started from scratch. You effectively get a "grace year" of funding which allows for a false start. Good luck!

My story is that I dropped out of Oxford after two years. Wish I'd gone at the end of the first year as I'd wanted to, but pride and parental pressure kept me there. I loved the place and the friends I made there, but I was clearly on the wrong course and found that I had no aptitude for it at all. I hated myself for years afterwards and just couldn't accept that dropping out had been the right thing to do.

Fast forward 20+ years. I paid off the mortgage, saved up some money and started a new degree at my local uni. I loved every minute of it, went straight into a Masters at a different uni and am now back, working on a PhD.

Some people just "find" uni education later than others. If you drop out at any stage, it doesn't mean that you'll never get a degree.
matangi_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dropped out of Bristol in December. I didn't like the university or the course but I did like the city/social life. I have a job now and I've reapplied through UCAS and CAO. I was worried I wouldn't get any offers because I dropped out but I've had unconditionals from Edinburgh and Manchester for a slightly different course. Hopefully I'll enjoy uni more next year.
kajka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm seriously considering dropping out of university. I have completed 2 years of a Mathematics degree at a "prestigious" university. Unfortunately, the very same university has screwed me over pretty badly this year. As it was my 3rd year, I applied to go on exchange, but while on it, my depression/eating disorder had gotten completely out of control. I asked the university to return, and was given a green light to do so, was told that my semester 1 wouldn't count and my degree classification would be based on semester 2 of year 3 and all of year 4. Already at this point I knew that Maths isn't for me, as I am much more interested in more hands-on subjects, and miss working with people. o I've been studying for A-level Chemistry in my spare time, doing research and practicing UCAT/BMAT tests as I had my heart set on doing Graduate Entry Medicine. The annoying thing is that I am a good student and I enjoy the university experience, but I am very clear that I don't want to pursue this particular degree. Now, upon my return to my home university in semester 2 I have been told that in fact a mistake has been made and I cannot continue as was previously arranged. This basically meant that I had to drop out this year, wasted a year, and I'm due to return into my 3rd year again next year, then do my 4th year when all my friends have graduated already. I'm not sure I can do it and I am absolutely positive that I don't WANT to do it. I have been looking at some HNC courses and I am thinking of doing a year-long HNC Applied Science course, while volunteering at the NHS (I am due to begin volunteering next week) and gaining some hospital experience. But I'm scared. I've always been a top student and dropping out is just not something that people would expect of me. I am very scared of what my parents would do,and my boyfriend too - he's one of those people who have known since age 10 what they want to do in life (for him it's a career in academia, in Physics), so he does't understand people who have such drastic changes of heart. But I am suffering from depression and I know that I might not get better unless I do what I actually want to do... And I have pretty good reasons to do Medicine, I know that I would be great at it, and thoroughly enjoy it.
Rant over.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise