Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    lawlz at everyone saying AAA+.
    This is TSR, what do you expect?

ReputationRep:
    The term "Good" is subjective. Some say an A* is excellent, A is good, and would consider a grade C as a failure.
    Others would consider a B to be excellent, C is good and E as a failure.

It really depends on the individual. My personal description of what I would call good is AAA or anything above that.
    However, in reality, ABB would be considered "good".

ReputationRep:
    I need ABB to meet my Manchester offer, which will be my insurance, so that or above I would be happy with. (I just reallllyyyyyyy don't wanna go in clearing)

ReputationRep:
    BBB meh
    AAA good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    This is TSR, what do you expect?
    By far the funniest thing is the people announcing their predicted grades as the minimum standard for good as a not-so-subtle way to try to show off with something they don't even have.

ReputationRep:
    AABB

ReputationRep:
    ABB+

My personal 'good' would be different.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the person. For someone who has been below average at school for years, BCC is excellent. For others, it would be an unmitigated disaster (indeed, anything less than A*A*A would be considered a failure. Myself, personally, would see A*A*AA as good results, for myself, with A*A*A*A being great. To expect the same of other people feels like snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    A*AA

For me: A* A* A* A* A A

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A*AA, although I would really like A*A*A I dont think Im gonna get that
    I would be disappointed if I got AAA and if I got a B I would be even more disappointed in myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GanfalfTheOrange)
    As the question says...
    So like BBB+ OR ABB+ OR AAA+?
    it depends on the person and work/effort put in.

minimum work and A*A*A*A* is pretty fantastic - in non "mickey mouse" subjects as some ppl on this site would call it...

hard work A*A*A*A* is still amazing..

8hrs a day making notes, reading through textbook 10 times before exam, doing all papers and memorizing markschemes and achieving CCDE(hypothetically) is pretty bad(given there are no ext circumstances).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I'd say anything above A*A*AA is good. Personally I got A*A*A*A and am predicted another A* but I would be pleased with 2 A*s or more.

I think that 4 or more A Levels are more impressive than grades anyway. I'd be more impressed with A*AAA than A*A*A as it would take a lot more work.
    That isn't the case for most top universities. Getting A*AAA when the offer is A*A*A is still missing the offer and you are likely to not secure the place. It's quality, not quantity. Also someone who did reasonably well at AS will have an easy A2 year. Aiming for an A* means there is no room for complacency. For example I needed 65% in my last exam to get an A in economics, but 92% to get an A*. Big, big difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    That isn't the case for most top universities. Getting A*AAA when the offer is A*A*A is still missing the offer and you are likely to not secure the place. It's quality, not quantity. Also someone who did reasonably well at AS will have an easy A2 year. Aiming for an A* means there is no room for complacency. For example I needed 65% in my last exam to get an A in economics, but 92% to get an A*. Big, big difference.
    I didn't say it was the case for universities, I know it is not, just that I'd personally be more impressed.

Also, it's sometimes not like that if you do well in one A2 exam. e.g. I only needed 70% in my last chem exam to get an A* (and 6% for an A) so there was plenty of room for complacency. It was even worse for maths where I didn't need any marks in my final exam.

I know that it's easier to get A*A*A than A*AAA because you have to do far more work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_Ross)
    It depends on the subjects.

If you did, say, Sociology, Psychology, Media, ("soft subjects") I'd say AAA was the minimum for 'good'.

WIth harder stuff e.g. History, Economics, Computer Science, I'd say AAB.

With the hardest subjects, i.e Maths/Natural Sciences, I'd say ABB was good.

You clearly haven't done Psychology if you think it is an 'easy' or 'soft' subject. I got an A but it required soooo much hardwork esp at A2. Its actually a very respectable degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    You clearly haven't done Psychology if you think it is an 'easy' or 'soft' subject. I got an A but it required soooo much hardwork esp at A2. Its actually a very respectable degree
    I have no doubt that it's a respectable degree, and I'm not saying it's easy, just that it isn't as hard as physics, which I'm sure is a valid statement by anyones standards. Thus, you need to do better in Psychology than you do in Physics for people to respect your qualification.

ReputationRep:
    The grades that meet your university offer and/or those that you personally feel proud or at least satisfied with?

ReputationRep:
    AAA or AAB or ABB

ReputationRep:
    What I consider good is irrelevant, and should only matter to the person who received the results (and their future employer/uni). If someone thinks that they have worked the hardest they possibly could have, and maybe even exceeded predictions/targets, even if that means it's what someone else would consider crap, that shouldn't matter.
    For someone who received poor GCSE results and were told the chances were they'd fail A levels but get CCC, that's brilliant! and I don't think that should be looked down upon.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.