Turn on thread page Beta

What more can TSR do to fight cyber-bullying? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Thanks to everyone for all the feedback in this thread so far - please keep it coming.

We'll be looking into all of these ideas. I can see there is a lot of support for improving the block functionality on the site, so we'll look into what we can do around that. We'll also update the functionality and messaging on the report post button so that it includes bullying as an option.
    Again I would like to know what guarantees there are that freedom of speech will be protected. Without wishing to be disrespectful, how can we make sure this does not just result in moderators giving themselves more powers?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    Again I would like to know what guarantees there are that freedom of speech will be protected. Without wishing to be disrespectful, how can we make sure this does not just result in moderators giving themselves more powers?
    There's always a grey area here that ultimately comes down to a judgement call. We have a number of systems and safeguards in place that enable people to discuss decisions taken by the mods, and those will remain in place. Every day, TSR is busy with strong debate - which is something that is valued very highly throughout the community and that will continue to be fostered.

ReputationRep:
    This obsession with overprotective behaviour will only damage this society in the long run. People get offended too easily these days – we can see countless examples here on TSR – and if you continue artificially suppressing normal forms of human behaviour, e.g. social pressure and what is nowadays considered to be bullying, you will only raise a multitude of cowards and generally socially inept people who will stand no chance in the market, for example.

Rather than trying to manipulate people to comply with your arbitrary set of norms, they should be taught how to deal with natural conditions of this system, ergo defend themselves. It is rather tragic and counterproductive how inadequately are such issues currently handled, see this campaign. There is a natural order to this world and the sooner you realise that, the better (however, I am not saying we should not prevent extreme beating and constant humiliation, but those are just consequences of incorrect formative effects, so we should tackle mainly the root of antisocial behaviour, not the behaviour itself).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.