Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebelliar)
    The only thing that can make this better if Christopher Eccleston makes an appearance when John Hurt's doctor regenerates... I will scream.. so LOUD...
    This!! I don't care how many times I hear that it won't happen, I think he will. If he doesn't, I'll be disappointed - he was my Doctor. :sad:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    My Dad has a huge library of all the classic Dr Who and I've watched some of them, I think Tom Baker would be my personal favourite out of the classic ones as he was kind of light but very serious in the same package.
    Make sure you see Terror of the Zygons if you haven't already - it's a brilliant story and great preparation for the return of the Zygons in the 50th Anniversary prog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Make sure you see Terror of the Zygons if you haven't already - it's a brilliant story and great preparation for the return of the Zygons in the 50th Anniversary prog
    Is that the one with the Loch Ness Monster? It's very entertaining and has lots of rubbery Zygons, wobbly scenery and a dear little toy dinosaur supposedly threatening the Dr and his assistant from above, on a very badly cut CGI. It's sooo endearing just for its sheer clumsy awfulness. :rolleyes: The Brigadier is fun in it as well.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Is that the one with the Loch Ness Monster? It's very entertaining and has lots of rubbery Zygons, wobbly scenery and a dear little toy dinosaur supposedly threatening the Dr and his assistant from above, on a very badly cut CGI. It's sooo endearing just for its sheer clumsy awfulness. :rolleyes: The Brigadier is fun in it as well.
    That's the one!! And the Zygons get to do lots of "breast fondling" on their spaceship's control panel

ReputationRep:
    SIGDYSDFJVGRYEUKSHAJG VDK I actually can't contain my excitement about this! :woo: :woo: :woo:

I have to admit I am quite disappointed about how many Whovians of our generations have never watched the classics...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Don't forget to get in the party mood with Doctor Who and the Daleks movie on Channel 5 at 5 past 10 this morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    SIGDYSDFJVGRYEUKSHAJG VDK I actually can't contain my excitement about this! :woo: :woo: :woo:

I have to admit I am quite disappointed about how many Whovians of our generations have never watched the classics...
    It's odd, because when I've talked about Dr Who with people from other countries, especially Americans, they are really into the classic Doctor, they know all about Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton and the old assistants and stories. I wonder if its really because the old episodes aren't shown here on cable/sat channels?

ReputationRep:
    So who's going to the convention tomorrow? I'm glad I've picked that day to go, I reckon everyone will be buzzed after finally seeing the special!

ReputationRep:
    It's odd, because when I've talked about Dr Who with people from other countries, especially Americans, they are really into the classic Doctor, they know all about Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton and the old assistants and stories. I wonder if its really because the old episodes aren't shown here on cable/sat channels?
    Same here!

Well I don't know, because when I was a child the re-runs were shown on UKTV Gold (remember that channel? :moon:) every Sunday, and so the tradition in my house was that every Sunday morning, we would get up and watch a classic episode. That was where my love for Who was born :love:

I really do think that most people of our generation (I'm 22) who say they are fans have never seen an episode of classic Who and are very dismissive of it, and this does sadden me but you're right, these days classic Who isn't really shown on TV and you have to search for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    That's the one!! And the Zygons get to do lots of "breast fondling" on their spaceship's control panel
    Haha, with that kind of quality, who needs modern fx??

One thing I really like about a lot of the classic monsters in Who is the way they all have unusual husking/heavy voices, often with lots of wheezing - that seemed to be very important. I suppose it was partly because they wanted some of the monster actors to get better equity rates and so they gave them lines, then they had to have a 'wierd' way of talking to make it 'work'. One of the best in that category were the Sea Devils - every word was covered in loud wheezing! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Same here!

Well I don't know, because when I was a child the re-runs were shown on UKTV Gold (remember that channel? :moon:) every Sunday, and so the tradition in my house was that every Sunday morning, we would get up and watch a classic episode. That was where my love for Who was born :love:

I really do think that most people of our generation (I'm 22) who say they are fans have never seen an episode of classic Who and are very dismissive of it, and this does sadden me but you're right, these days classic Who isn't really shown on TV and you have to search for it.
    Yeah, I also vaguely remember UK Gold and seeing episodes on it! I was lucky though because my Dad has just bought every DVD as it came out and has a big library of them, so I can just browse them when at his house. There's a lot of real gems in the backlist, they aren't all just wobbly scenery and naff monsters, there are some really strong, powerful stories amidst the silliness.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    x
    Finally found a working UK proxy :woo:

ReputationRep:
    One thing I really like ... is the way they all have unusual husking/heavy voices, often with lots of wheezing
    So that's what gets you going? :pierre:
    I'm sure I can arrange some of that for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Finally found a working UK proxy :woo:
    Is it not being broadcast on a main channel in Deutschland then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    So that's what gets you going? :pierre:
    I'm sure I can arrange some of that for you
    Just spare me any actual hacking coughs, there are limits.

ReputationRep:
    I've only just found this thread but...

Today is the Day of The Doctor

:-D

ReputationRep:
    what is it about DR who that makes people of all ages go barking mad?

note, i have no interest in dr who special or dr who for that matter.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    what is it about DR who that makes people of all ages go barking mad?

note, i have no interest in dr who special or dr who for that matter.....
    Name:  River-Song-Spoilers.png
Views: 42
Size:  147.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait for it!! In my opinion, the best actor to play the doctor was David Tennant and its going to be awesome to see him come back
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is it not being broadcast on a main channel in Deutschland then?
    Possibly, but I haven't checked since I don't have a TV.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.