University of Brighton 2014 applicants Watch

University of Brighton Accommodation
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Jennywbu)
Hi I recieved an offer for sociology and criminology yesterday and I really wanted to accept this offer as my firm choice but then I realised something very important. Accomodation for 2nd and 3rd years. I have been told by loads of people that because Brighton is such a popular place to live it would be very hard to get accomodation i.e a shared house in the area and then students would have to opt to live far away from campus? How true would you say this is?

Thankyou
Hi Jennywbu

Well done on your offer!

You are right in that Brighton is a popular place to live But don't let that put you off! 2nd and 3rd year students rarely live in halls at any uni, most live in shared private rented accommodation. Brighton is no exception to this. We also have 'unihomes' - there are 300 rooms in shared rented houses and flats that are managed by the university. First year students may also live in unihomes or private rented accommodation - some prefer it as they are part of the city itself from the start.

There are lots of properties and different areas that students live in. You might pick which area depending lots of factors - price, who you want to live with, where you want to live (you might like to be nearer to campus, in the centre of town, somewhere quiet, busy, there is plenty of choice.) Transport around Brighton is good too -regular buses and trains and short distances to travel.

My friends took different approaches - those who started thinking about who to live with and looking in good time during the spring term of their first year had the most choice. Others were less organised and left it to the last min - so they would be more likely to join a house with a free room rather than be part of a group who went looking to rent a house together. My advice - try and be organised, the later you leave it, the more chance there is that it will be more difficult.

When you are in your first year there will be info and advice from the uni open to you about second year accommodation. You also end up meeting a lot of people while you are here - and they are all potential housemates and they are probably thinking the same thing as you.

If you haven't done this already, take a look at our accommodation info http://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodation/
The accommodation team offer advice and support to new students AND returning students. So whatever year you are in, you can get support. They can offer one to one info, you can contact them by phone, email, or drop in to the office. They also set up very popular house hunting groups via Facebook too.

I hope this info helps. If you need anything else let me know...

Best Wishes
Viv
Maddielew
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was asked for my digital portfolio for fine art painting and sent it through my student central login on the Brighton university sight. However I got an email the next day from them asking me for my portfolio and to resubmit it?Does this mean I haven't sent it properly ? It is the student central emails section I send the portfolio through isn't it?
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maddielew)
I was asked for my digital portfolio for fine art painting and sent it through my student central login on the Brighton university sight. However I got an email the next day from them asking me for my portfolio and to resubmit it?Does this mean I haven't sent it properly ? It is the student central emails section I send the portfolio through isn't it?
Hi Maddielew

For this one the best way to get fast help is by calling (or emailing) the admissions team, as they have access to your application details and can see if it has uploaded. Contact them on

They are open now (from 9am - 5pm today)

Best Wishes

Viv
ZakV
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I'm a recent Bsc (Hons) Geography graduate from UoB . If you have any general queries or more specific questions about environment related courses then feel free to message me.
incoqnito
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ZakV)
Hi I'm a recent Bsc (Hons) Geography graduate from UoB . If you have any general queries or more specific questions about environment related courses then feel free to message me.
Did you do earth science modules? Or hydrology, ecology etc, and how did you find the field trips?
ZakV
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by incoqnito)
Did you do earth science modules? Or hydrology, ecology etc, and how did you find the field trips?
Tried replying on my phone and it failed...

To summarise what I tried to say;

Years are split into two 14 week semesters. Modules run over these semester usually with 12 taught weeks and the remaining one or two save the time slots so you can discuss exams/work with your module leader. A single semester module is usually work 10 credits. Each semester is worth 60 credits so you'll usually get about 6 modules worth a semester. Modules can run over the course of the whole year or require double the teaching/learning time in one semester so these modules are worth 20 credits. You will normally be assessed with reports/essays etc during the semester, so assigned a piece of work at say week 2/3 with a hand in date on week 10/11. You'll usually get an exam during the exam periods that occur in January and May (end of the semesters). Most modules are split into about 50% coursework 50% exams. I've just brushed upon it here but you get the general jist.

Modules in Ecology/Hydrology/Geology etc are usually taught with lectures and the standard assessment method that I brushed upon. First year you don't reaaallly get a tonne of choice with modules, it is all very much core modules and they are for getting people onto the same page really- that's why first year doesn't count towards the final grade (you will probably appreciate this after you find your work improves in the second and third year). A general tip is to gear your modules to what you'd be interested in doing following graduation (you get a lot more choice in second and third year), you'll find that being able to demonstrate some direction is quite helpful.

The field trips. They are a lot of fun and actually immensely helpful. It just gets everyone together and you'll get to know the lecturers on a personal level, they are all pretty funny. The research experience you'll find useful because it gives a succinct example that you can make reference to (I'm looking to do post-graduate and I've used them this way).

I really enjoyed my time at UoB, I know everyone is biased towards their own uni but your time at Brighton should definitely be a life experience .
lwill92
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fbazzoni)
Hi, I have been given a conditional offer for your Primary Teaching course on the Falmer campus and just wanted to ask how many weeks this course is? I've been looking at the accommodation on this campus but I'm not sure whether I would need to apply for a specific one if this course is extended. Thank you!
Hi, I was just wondering how long it took Brighton to get back to you after your interview? Thank you
tynkabelle63
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello
Got a Pharmacy interview at Brighton soon, anybody has an idea about how it is conducted and what is involved?
Please Helllllp..!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
fbazzoni
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lwill92)
Hi, I was just wondering how long it took Brighton to get back to you after your interview? Thank you
Hi! I had my interview just before Christmas and they replied within 2 days. I think they were just really quick because they wanted to tell me before they all went on Christmas holidays for 2 weeks. Most people I've spoken to said it's usually a week or 2. Have you had your interview? :-)
kaymh80
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all
I put in my application back in November for primary teaching. My application is still being considered! Is anyone else still awaiting a response? I am a mature student so I don't know if that's what's holding me back? I'm beginning it think it's not happening for me :-(
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by tynkabelle63)
Hello
Got a Pharmacy interview at Brighton soon, anybody has an idea about how it is conducted and what is involved?
Please Helllllp..!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi tynkabelle63

There are some pharmacy applicants and info on the interviews in this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2527388

I'm seeing if I can find out any more details too

Best Wishes
Viv
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First year biomedical science student here! Any questions about the course or some of the closely related biological science course are welcome as well as anything about Moulsecoomb campus or the university in general!
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaymh80)
Hi all
I put in my application back in November for primary teaching. My application is still being considered! Is anyone else still awaiting a response? I am a mature student so I don't know if that's what's holding me back? I'm beginning it think it's not happening for me :-(
Hi kaymh80

Main thing - please don't worry and be patient. Easy to say and hard to do I know! The basics are that this is a very busy time of year for applications, the UCAS deadline has only just passed - and this is a very popular course. Age is not a barrier to entry - we have got student teachers of all ages - so it's nothing to worry about that you haven't heard yet and this certainly doesn't have a negative impact on your application. Try not to worry and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you

Best Wishes
Viv
kaymh80
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by University of Brighton)
Hi kaymh80

Main thing - please don't worry and be patient. Easy to say and hard to do I know! The basics are that this is a very busy time of year for applications, the UCAS deadline has only just passed - and this is a very popular course. Age is not a barrier to entry - we have got student teachers of all ages - so it's nothing to worry about that you haven't heard yet and this certainly doesn't have a negative impact on your application. Try not to worry and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you

Best Wishes
Viv
Thankyou
elenasofia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys! My name's Elena Sofia I'm a 2nd year student of Business Management with HRM and I did marketing last year. I'm very happy to answer all your questions or to give you any tips about Brighton and the University. Feel free to ask anything you are not sure about x
incoqnito
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ZakV)
Tried replying on my phone and it failed...

To summarise what I tried to say;

Years are split into two 14 week semesters. Modules run over these semester usually with 12 taught weeks and the remaining one or two save the time slots so you can discuss exams/work with your module leader. A single semester module is usually work 10 credits. Each semester is worth 60 credits so you'll usually get about 6 modules worth a semester. Modules can run over the course of the whole year or require double the teaching/learning time in one semester so these modules are worth 20 credits. You will normally be assessed with reports/essays etc during the semester, so assigned a piece of work at say week 2/3 with a hand in date on week 10/11. You'll usually get an exam during the exam periods that occur in January and May (end of the semesters). Most modules are split into about 50% coursework 50% exams. I've just brushed upon it here but you get the general jist.

Modules in Ecology/Hydrology/Geology etc are usually taught with lectures and the standard assessment method that I brushed upon. First year you don't reaaallly get a tonne of choice with modules, it is all very much core modules and they are for getting people onto the same page really- that's why first year doesn't count towards the final grade (you will probably appreciate this after you find your work improves in the second and third year). A general tip is to gear your modules to what you'd be interested in doing following graduation (you get a lot more choice in second and third year), you'll find that being able to demonstrate some direction is quite helpful.

The field trips. They are a lot of fun and actually immensely helpful. It just gets everyone together and you'll get to know the lecturers on a personal level, they are all pretty funny. The research experience you'll find useful because it gives a succinct example that you can make reference to (I'm looking to do post-graduate and I've used them this way).

I really enjoyed my time at UoB, I know everyone is biased towards their own uni but your time at Brighton should definitely be a life experience .
Thanks a lot for the info, one last thing, did you do a placement year or know any of the details about one? The course im looking to do has the option and im very interested.
sque132
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
HI EVERYONE!
I've applied for the BA in Education and have my interview on wednesday! (29th). Really excited. I'm spending two days in brighton so if anyone could suggest anywhere specific to check out that would be great as i'd love to get too see as much of brighton as possible.

Is anyone else there on wednesday for an interview or doing education BA?

- Isaac
Alex2003
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just got an offer yesterday to study Business management with economics and im pretty excited.Im wondering if I should be worrying about accommodation now or when I get all my offers?
incoqnito
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alex2003)
Just got an offer yesterday to study Business management with economics and im pretty excited.Im wondering if I should be worrying about accommodation now or when I get all my offers?
Wait for all your offers, only people that are certain they are going to do a course regardless of anything else will be applying this early. Anyway im pretty sure that most if not all that firm their offer are guaranteed accommodation.
MiriHam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by University of Brighton)
So, who has applied to Brighton for 2014?
I have! For Fashion with Business studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Brighton
    Architecture and interior architecture Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Brighton City campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Eastbourne campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (386)
30.9%
The paper was reasonable (490)
39.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (217)
17.37%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.49%

Watched Threads