Coalition vs New Labour Watch

Poll: Have the coalition done a better job of running our country than new labour>
A lot better (15)
31.91%
A lot worse (10)
21.28%
No difference (8)
17.02%
A bit worse (5)
10.64%
A bit better (9)
19.15%
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Havent heard of scotrail but as for virgin: http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...n-rail-profits
So Virgin does make a profit, but wouldn't if its income and costs were different?
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
So Virgin does make a profit, but wouldn't if its income and costs were different?

More this..."the only way Branson and the vast majority of train barons make their profits is through handouts from the taxpayer. And while you may know about the direct payments taken by Virgin and others, the Cresc team has also analysed another, indirect transfer from the public purse to private hands. By now, it's worth £30bn – yet it is barely acknowledged either by Network Rail or Westminster."
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
More this..."the only way Branson and the vast majority of train barons make their profits is through handouts from the taxpayer. And while you may know about the direct payments taken by Virgin and others, the Cresc team has also analysed another, indirect transfer from the public purse to private hands. By now, it's worth £30bn – yet it is barely acknowledged either by Network Rail or Westminster."
And thats different for for the East Coast mainline?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Havent heard of scotrail but as for virgin: http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...n-rail-profits
The ECML has always being one of the most profitable lines whether its in public or private hands. The only reason National Express gave it up was because when the recession hit passenger numbers collapsed, when the recession ended passenger numbers rose again.

This is not a case of the state running it so much better than everybody else, they simply took control of what is normally already one of the most profitable lines.

Also, there are other profitable lines.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
The ECML has always being one of the most profitable lines whether its in public or private hands. The only reason National Express gave it up was because when the recession hit passenger numbers collapsed, when the recession ended passenger numbers rose again.

This is not a case of the state running it so much better than everybody else, they simply took control of what is normally already one of the most profitable lines.
if it was performing well when under state control then why the need to privatise it? If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Also, there are other profitable lines.
Such as?
Cannotbelieveit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Better by a country mile, first time I've been optimistic about the future in my adult life (Granted has only been about 5 years)
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if it was performing well when under state control then why the need to privatise it? If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Such as?
Well pre-privatisation passenger numbers were much lower and the network was a complete shambles so i probably should not have commented pre-1993. Of course the argument since that lefties support is that it is the state controlled Network Rail and better procurement which have improved the network (operators only lease trains).
Academic Warrior
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I seem to hear nothing but people complaining about the 'evils of the government' at the moment. Apart from being incredibly wearing, I have yet to find someone who has pitched a convincing argument that proves our current government are failing. I am personally very supportive of our current government (aside from the Lib Dem influence) but I was wondering if there was anyone on here who could prove me wrong and educate me on why this government is supposedly failing so much? Thanks in advance.
uktotalgamer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it bloody well is. The people that bleet on about it consistently fail to provide any alternative examples as to the cuts being made. That goes for the Labour Party as well. However, I fear; and it's a real real fear that Labour will get in next time because they keep making promises that they simply can't keep and that are simply unreasonable to any well educated political voter. They do however pander to the uneducated masses which will give them the edge.
Academic Warrior
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by uktotalgamer)
Yes it bloody well is. The people that bleet on about it consistently fail to provide any alternative examples as to the cuts being made. That goes for the Labour Party as well. However, I fear; and it's a real real fear that Labour will get in next time because they keep making promises that they simply can't keep and that are simply unreasonable to any well educated political voter. They do however pander to the uneducated masses which will give them the edge.
I completely agree, I can only hope that come 2015 the press or conservatives can expose their empty promises for exactly what they are.
Pedd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can't say that they're either doing a good or a bad job. Apathetic really.

The country is essentially waiting for the next boom of the economic cycle to appear, so the next few terms I suppose will just be political games between the major parties over false-issues.

I liked George Osbourne's 'gourmet burger' though.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, they are.

Unfortunately this country is full of idiots who feel that it's best to continually swing power from one party to another, perpetually chasing false promises and never getting them fulfilled, which is the only reason Labour is doing well.

I've not heard them actually suggest an alternative policy to anything the coalition has been doing.. ever? They always go on about how it's the WRONG thing to do, but they never propose alternatives.. I basically judge the coalition decisions based on how weak the inevitable naysay from Labour is
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say so. The economy is recovering albeit in a concerning way, though I'm not sure what a political party could do about that.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're students, right?
The downfall of the university is now in motion: wait and see if you wish.
This is just one area.
Academic Warrior
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pedd)
I can't say that they're either doing a good or a bad job. Apathetic really.

The country is essentially waiting for the next boom of the economic cycle to appear, so the next few terms I suppose will just be political games between the major parties over false-issues.

I liked George Osbourne's 'gourmet burger' though.
But isn't the current government trying (and thus far succeeding) to create a means by which we can prevent it from being a cycle?
Academic Warrior
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
You're students, right?
This is just one area.
Care to quantify that statement?
Brachioradialis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
You're students, right?
This is just one area.
Why? Because tuition fees went up to a still reasonably cheap amount? Because you have to be earning a higher amount to even make minimum repayments on that loan?

Why?
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it's as simple as they are failing / succeeding, it's a little bit more complicated than that, my issue with the coalition is they are doing quite the opposite of what they promised they would do.

-The subject of the day is of course energy bills and green/social security levies/taxes/etc... The conservatives said they wanted to be the greenest government ever, but in the face of Ed Milibands admittedly quite ridiculous idea at Labour's party confrence they have ditched that pledge in order to score political points with idiots who think global warming is either not happening, or is less important than having less than £1 a week off your energy bill.
-Then there is the main thing, economic recovery. I'll concede that the economic recovery is happening, but George Osbourne himself said he wanted to end this countries reliance on debt... in reality he has done quite the opposite... his recovery is based almost solely on consumer spending, exports and business investment continue to fall while both private and public debt CONTINUE to rise. That's all well and good while intrest stays at the historic rate it is now, but before long it will go up and people will be thrown back into the situation which caused so much heartache less than 5 years ago.

What should we do about it? That's a hard question because politicians of all sides have consistently failed over the last two or three decades to provide this country with the bare essentials like sufficient housing, an education system that actually works, a welfare system that is both generous and sensible and just simple infrastructure improvements which should really have been done decades ago (by the time HS2 is finished it will already be decades behind other nations rail systems). Look, it's my opnion that the planet as a whole needs to wake up and realise that the way we run the planet is not sufficient for the modern age, it needs to change far more dramatically then the swapping of one faceless politician for another, we need a profound change of attitude of the people, all over the world... but that is kind of beyond the realms of this discussion.
Pedd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Academic Warrior)
But isn't the current government trying (and thus far succeeding) to create a means by which we can prevent it from being a cycle?
I wouldn't say so at all. They can't redefine the global market.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.43%

Watched Threads