Old People Being Racist! Watch

TommiWelling
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
I don't know any old people who are racist, but I do know a few people in their forties and fifties who are. Strange thing is that they are selective with it. I mean, they're fine with my sister's boyfriend, and they have Moroccan friends, but then they mutter about "all the immigrants" and the "headscarves", when their friends are immigrants and Muslims, too . They appear to have a dislike for immigrants regardless of race, though, as they don't like Polish people either and think they should "go back to where they came from", whilst they forget that their own family member - me - is an immigrant...

I've met with that attitude here in Britain, too. An acquaintance of mine, for example, admitted that he voted BNP, but he's fine with me, he says, because I'm the right kind of immigrant (whatever that is).

I don't really get it... :confused:
i know right and it really offends me when people say "your people"
Jaegon Targaryen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
To be honest, we only develop the attitudes that we're brought up to. When today's pensioners were born, there would have been very, very few people who weren't white in this country, and everyone is scared (or at least wary) of the unknown. Attitudes are changing, but only as education changes. Within a couple of generations things will be very different.

It's not like they're being intentionally racist with the intent to hurt somebody/their feelings.

Im sure if you changed the topic of race here with sexual orientation you wouldn't be as forgiving , homophobic people are never excused just because there "not used to it" , nor are there views particularly harming anyone.
ArtGoblin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I heard my nan tell my cousin that him and his girlfriend needed to have some "beautiful white babies" because there are too many "brown" people in this country.

Recently I heard a woman at work describe Asians as "a very rude race" and she's not even that old. It shocked me that someone thought it was OK to be so blatantly racist in a public place - I'm used to racist people pretending they're not racist.

(Original post by Harley)
My great granny taught my wee sister a version of 'Eenie meenie minie mo' but with the n-word instead of 'tigger'. Apparently that's how they sang it in her day :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mum used to sing that at school in the 70s so I'm not surprised your great granny thought it was OK!

(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
tigger?

I'd say

eenie meenie minie mo, catch a goblin by his toe, if he squeals let him go, ernie meenie minie mo!
frogs r everywhere
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am black. I work in an area which is probably 99.9% white (the 0.1% being me ), and I mainly work with the elderly. I have never come across any form of racism. However, as with anything in life, you can not generalise an entire group of people based on your past experiences. It may be human nature to do so, yet labelling the elderly as racist is just as unacceptable as labelling every poor person as stupid, which we know is not true.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
my husband's cousin had a mixed race baby and when my mother in law asked her father in law what's the baby's name, he said 'something African, like jumanji or something' he meant it in a casual racist way and everyone felt uncomfortable in the room. :facepalm:

dread to hear what he'll say when I have a baby with my husband.

Posted from TSR Mobile
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My grandparents on my dad's side, who are in their 80s, are both pretty racist

They routinely tell us they just went to the p*** shop, use the n word, declare their hatred for 'the muslims' and so on (yes, you're correct - they're daily mail readers too )

Once, we were out at a restaurant and my Grandad, who had a naturally loud and booming voice, started cracking a racist joke, when there were several black/asian people around just behind him. My Dad, who was sat opposite my Grandad kicked him under the table to get him to stop.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
Im sure if you changed the topic of race here with sexual orientation you wouldn't be as forgiving , homophobic people are never excused just because there "not used to it" , nor are there views particularly harming anyone.
Actually, I would be. People don't learn until they're told.
username912610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This thread reminds me of this video
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
These elderly white folk are just pissed as they grew up with the fall of the empire and it meant they had to live and work alongside the blacks and browns you know the white flight and blacks being portrayed as pimping white blonde woman corrupting the skin colour etc all silly old fashioned views not entirely their fault but they were marinated in these views and they don't realise that without the other 15 nations and the Russians they would be in a German labour camp/speaking German right now
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lord Harold)
In a way you are condoning racism. By that token, you would accept all the actions of racists pre-MLK, including Lord Moseley and indeed Hitler, I am however sure that you don't!
I can abide elderly people who still use slightly old fashioned and now un-PC words, such as 'coloured', because they know no better, however to express disgust at the fact a black person may be cooking their food, is crossing the line of uninformed, casual and innocent racism, common among most elderly people!
Well as a history student it always riled me when people would judge people from 500 years ago based on our modern standards. And a lot has changed since the war, so I will not judge any elderly person harshly for having mildly racist tendencies, of course if an old person wanted to annihilate any race as Hitler did then, yes, they are in the wrong, no matter when the were born.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lord Harold)
In a way you are condoning racism. By that token, you would accept all the actions of racists pre-MLK, including Lord Moseley and indeed Hitler, I am however sure that you don't!
I can abide elderly people who still use slightly old fashioned and now un-PC words, such as 'coloured', because they know no better, however to express disgust at the fact a black person may be cooking their food, is crossing the line of uninformed, casual and innocent racism, common among most elderly people!
Yes and no. If Hitler was a 96 year old shouting racism at the TV (and he hadn't actually acted on his views) there is a limit to how much you would try to correct him. You might keep your children away from him, but it would be extremely difficult to change his world view, and 'punishing' him won't help anyone.
Lord Harold
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
Well as a history student it always riled me when people would judge people from 500 years ago based on our modern standards. And a lot has changed since the war, so I will not judge any elderly person harshly for having mildly racist tendencies, of course if an old person wanted to annihilate any race as Hitler did then, yes, they are in the wrong, no matter when the were born.
I must agree, however I thought the lady in question's comments were particularly harsh and uncalled for.
Lord Harold
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Octohedral)
Yes and no. If Hitler was a 96 year old shouting racism at the TV (and he hadn't actually acted on his views) there is a limit to how much you would try to correct him. You might keep your children away from him, but it would be extremely difficult to change his world view, and 'punishing' him won't help anyone.
I agree, it's not an issue that we can eliminate because they are so stuck in their ways, that usually are totally innocent, they simply don't know that they are being racist. The term black may be a racist word in a few decades time, and we will be blissfully unaware of any connotations such a word may have and happily spouting these words sitting in an armchair and watching daytime television!
CryptoidAlien
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're angry because they've probably been socially engineered without their consent and witnessed the change of their own towns/communities. But hey, why shouldn't they welcome that, how lucky they're to be minoritizted and told their culture must become more like others. I'm sure the minorities themselves want the same wherever their culture resides.
CryptoidAlien
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LeeABTV)
Yeah it's a shame, yet funnily enough, they're the ones called "the golden generation" and yet we're "the worst of all time".

It's never nice to think about, especially when it's family, but human beings have gotten less discriminatory as the generations have gone by. Racism's biggest enemy is time. Crazy to still hear that in 2013 though.
In time? religions like Islam are only becoming more extreme. not to mention their fascist connotations. Yet you're talking about racism improving over time. Ha.
Biblio
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FrankTHEsehlat)
I think age is no excuse for ignorance and nastiness.

She may have been born during the First World War but she's lived through most of the 20th century and the millennium. She was alive at the peak of the Civil Rights movement in the USA and when they established the Declaration of Human Rights. If anything she should be a part of the enlightened generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
says the one with hitler as their avatar! Gosh some people
username1310823
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Biblio)
says the one with hitler as their avatar! Gosh some people
guy, that's a freeze frame of Russel Crowe playing Inspector Javert in 2012 film Les Miserables - decidedly not Hitler
Biblio
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FrankTHEsehlat)
guy, that's a freeze frame of Russel Crowe playing Inspector Javert in 2012 film Les Miserables - decidedly not Hitler
looks a not like adolf still your racist so stop chatting on this or im gonna bust inside you dont make me get my mum
LeeABTV
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CryptoidAlien)
In time? religions like Islam are only becoming more extreme. not to mention their fascist connotations. Yet you're talking about racism improving over time. Ha.
Things have gotten better, but not if you watch The News or read a newspaper. Grab a copy of The Daily Mail and count up the positive stories VS the negative ones.

The problem is that the biggest bigots and smallest minds now have the loudest voices. There's no entertainment in "normal well-spoken human being" yet, Katie Hopkins gets invited back to This Morning every week. Two children can fight in a small town with nobody but a camera watching, yet if it gets 100Million Views on Youtube we act like it's World War 3. It's not. It's two children with a loud loud voice.

Considering we don't have stuff like The Crusades or Slavery or Segregation, yeah things are better than they used to be.
CryptoidAlien
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LeeABTV)
Things have gotten better, but not if you watch The News or read a newspaper. Grab a copy of The Daily Mail and count up the positive stories VS the negative ones.

The problem is that the biggest bigots and smallest minds now have the loudest voices. There's no entertainment in "normal well-spoken human being" yet, Katie Hopkins gets invited back to This Morning every week. Two children can fight in a small town with nobody but a camera watching, yet if it gets 100Million Views on Youtube we act like it's World War 3. It's not. It's two children with a loud loud voice.

Considering we don't have stuff like The Crusades or Slavery or Segregation, yeah things are better than they used to be.
Ok, so it's alright aslong as its not comming from the minority. But Islamism rising is relevant, even when people are being killed in broad daylight this year. With time, we are going to witness the biggest form of bigotry we've ever seen. The old racists wernt planting bombs, killing people in the name of Britain, holding rallys calling for the death of minorities. Not only that, but the effects of rising Islamism will take a toll on gays/lesbians and women. Things are only heading toward more fascism when Islamism rises, but you see time as an inprovement. The majority have improved over time, the islamist racism is only getting started. You'll see that in the next 50 years. Enjoy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads