Report 5 years ago
(Original post by buchanan700)
Attachment 253931

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :hugs: :ahee: :woo:
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rational Thinker)
Now we get to the crux of the matter. Excuse my cynicism but it seems that Its not about helping those who have been bullied but making everyone feel self satisfied and papering over the mistakes. There seems a desperation for everyone to try and say "i've done my bit". This is not a criticism of TSR necessarily but of wider society generally, however TSR has become a product of that society.
In what way do you feel that TSR is papering over the mistakes? I believe that TSR's been in consultation with a number of (anti-bullying) charities to ask for feedback on its performance and has consistently been told that it's doing well. Much of this focus has been on the handling of suicide threads, where there's sometimes a misconception about the level of intervention on the part of the mod team (e.g. we don't actually call ambulances as a matter of course), but the general message from other organisations seems to be positive. This is something that the Community team is better qualified to advise on.

(Original post by Milostar)
:wavey:
(See above. )

Rational Thinker, if there are particular issues with the moderation of the site (which is more often said to be too harsh than too lenient!) I'd certainly be interested to hear them.
Willum Infanta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by buchanan700)
Did you seriously just show support for ABW in the same sentence as calling two accomplished women 'ugly'? :unimpressed:

GIMP is free and easy to use , that's how I changed mine x
I did indeed, I like how you ignored how I said she's not funny and focus on the ugly part though
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Tortious;45243725]In what way do you feel that TSR is papering over the mistakes? I believe that TSR's been in consultation with a number of (anti-bullying) charities to ask for feedback on its performance and has consistently been told that it's doing well. Much of this focus has been on the handling of suicide threads, where there's sometimes a misconception about the level of intervention on the part of the mod team (e.g. we don't actually call ambulances as a matter of course), but the general message from other organisations seems to be positive. This is something that the Community team is better qualified to advise on.

Well I have not been cyber bullied so the precise impact it has I can only speculate. However there are two things I will adress, first bullying seems to be very much like racism, inequality and rememberance It is great to have days for them, however these days should not be the be all and end all of this and that is the problem with Anti Bullying week and all the other days, it serves as an excuse for complacency the rest of the year round. Also, bullying is a vague term unhelpfully vague in fact and I am worried that freedom of speech and thus human progress with be impeded by good intentioned but ill though out plans. How can a clear boundry to stop censorship be put in place really is what I am saying?
William Turtle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes please.
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Now we get to the crux of the matter. Excuse my cynicism but it seems that Its not about helping those who have been bullied but making everyone feel self satisfied and papering over the mistakes. There seems a desperation for everyone to try and say "i've done my bit". This is not a criticism of TSR necessarily but of wider society generally, however TSR has become a product of that society.
Exactly. Stuff like this just away of saying "look at me, look how much of a good person I am" without any sort of real action, which would obviously take effort.
Milostar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well I have not been cyber bullied so the precise impact it has I can only speculate. However there are two things I will adress, first bullying seems to be very much like racism, inequality and rememberance It is great to have days for them, however these days should not be the be all and end all of this and that is the problem with Anti Bullying week and all the other days, it serves as an excuse for complacency the rest of the year round. Also, bullying is a vague term unhelpfully vague in fact and I am worried that freedom of speech and thus human progress with be impeded by good intentioned but ill though out plans. How can a clear boundry to stop censorship be put in place really is what I am saying?
You've made a very valid point, just highlighting something for one day/week isn't going to solve a problem, and it's no good having a different avatar or a paper poppy if that's all that you do, and you dismiss it as 'job done'. For us at TSR Towers, finding better ways of protecting users and striving to stamp out bullying is something that's always at the forefront of our minds (really - it comes up several times a week), partly because a lot of TSRians are young, and partly because the well being of students and school pupils is just as important as getting good marks and choosing the right university.

Bullying is a vague term, we're under no illusions about that! But it's better to work on trying to come up with the best rules and guidelines we can to get the balance right, and deal with cases of of suspected bullying on a careful case-by-case basis rather than steering clear of it, as many schools unfortunately seem to do still. If the result of the TSR activities like the avatar campaign is to have some schools sit up and take notice and say 'well if some new-fangled social media platform is making such a big deal about bullying, maybe we should take it a bit more seriously in our school', that's a massive step. Similarly, if someone shares a story of their experience of being cyberbullied on one of the threads this week, and it makes one person think about whether anonymously harassing a stranger or classmate is really so funny, it's worth it.

Actually, I'd like the campaign to last indefinitely, but I'm sure people will get sick of it, so we want to make the campaign short and memorable, for maximum impact. We don't think we're going to solve bullying in one week of campaigning, but it's a very positive step

(Original post by Tortious)
In what way do you feel that TSR is papering over the mistakes? I believe that TSR's been in consultation with a number of (anti-bullying) charities to ask for feedback on its performance and has consistently been told that it's doing well.
Indeed, we've been in contact with several charities, and the Anti-Bullying Alliance, which is the network of charities that organises ABW each year. We also have our rules checked over by web safety and legal organisations to find out if we're doing enough, and to see what we can learn from other online communities.

Love the avatar customisations, by the way. Awesome stuff
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like my avatar as it is now. Changing it would not prevent bullying. We need a more radical action.
buchanan700
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Willum Infanta)
I did indeed, I like how you ignored how I said she's not funny and focus on the ugly part though
A comedienne not being funny is a matter of opinion, it's something they should expect as part of their job and it's not a particularly nasty thing to say. For the record, I don't think Jo Brand is funny. Again, not really an insult, especially in light of what she does. But being ugly has nothing to do with it and is just a mean spirited thing to comment on.
Folion
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SoftPunch)
I like my avatar as it is now. Changing it would not prevent bullying. We need a more radical action.
I don't think anybody is inferring that changing an avi in itself is a solution but on the other hand is it doing any harm? I don't see how showing support conflicts with any other work done over the issue. It may at least indicate that some members of the community are watching out for obvious bullying. Yes there will be others just jumping on the bandwagon but not everyone.

The purpose of having awareness days/weeks is that it provides a jolt to remind us of issues. If we went around with ABW avis all year round the message would then become ignored like background noise rather like if you live near a train line you get used to it and eventually you don't hear it. Also there are an awful lot of life's other serious issues we need to be aware of and reminded of. Each of those other issues must have their turn in the spotlight.

Just out of interest what radical action do you think we should or can take? Either for TSR as an organisation or for us as community members.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Folion)

Just out of interest what radical action do you think we should or can take? Either for TSR as an organisation or for us as community members.
On TSR there needs to be more threads reminding bullies what losers they are. As community members - we need to take and shove the bullies into the rubbish bins. Head first.A
As a community we need to report the bullying cases - we shouldn't just think victims can sort it out on their own. We should stop being cowards, watchers, by-passers and actually grow balls and step in.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Folion)
I don't think anybody is inferring that changing an avi in itself is a solution but on the other hand is it doing any harm? I don't see how showing support conflicts with any other work done over the issue. It may at least indicate that some members of the community are watching out for obvious bullying. Yes there will be others just jumping on the bandwagon but not everyone.

The purpose of having awareness days/weeks is that it provides a jolt to remind us of issues. If we went around with ABW avis all year round the message would then become ignored like background noise rather like if you live near a train line you get used to it and eventually you don't hear it. Also there are an awful lot of life's other serious issues we need to be aware of and reminded of. Each of those other issues must have their turn in the spotlight.
I especially liked Black History month.
But no - I am still not changing my avatar to smthng boring as that. I wanna be unique. I also didn't know at first what ''ABW'' stood for, so I typed it into google and first suggestion was urban dictionary ''Angry Black Woman''.
Tortious
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Splenge007)
:wavey:
Here you go! :yy:

Name:  Splenge007_ABW_50x50.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  3.8 KB

Smaller version, in case you need it:

Size:  1.6 KB
Splenge007
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tortious)
Here you go! :yy:

Size:  3.8 KB

Smaller version, in case you need it:

Size:  1.6 KB
Thanks!
Superkevs22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Milostar)
No one should have to worry about going to school or university because of bullying, and no one should be made miserable by cruel words and taunts on the internet.

Anti-Bullying Week highlights the issue of bullying and its devastating impact, and reminds us that if want to cut bullying from the curriculum, we all need to do our bit.

Get together with TSR to make a big public statement - we're working together to create a world where there's no place for bullying.

Show your support for Anti-Bullying Week by changing your avatar to one of our special anti-bullying blobs.

To do this, just go to 'customise my TSR' on your home menu, or use this handy link. You can find the ABW blobs in the 'various' category. If you're a subscriber, have a look in the sub-only 'various' menu for some bigger ones.

Once you've changed your avatar, check in on his thread
Done
Kallisto
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I pointed the way and join in! I will never forget that I was bullying by some members because of my lacks in knowledges in English language at the beginning when I joined to TSR. No foreigner should be bullied on TSR! every foreigner should have the possibility to improve the skills and knwoledges in English on TSR!
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wholeheartedly sympathise with victims of bullying.

But this is an utterly pathetic exercise.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Joining in! Much as I will miss my kitty this week, it's an important message to send.
Kallisto
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Joining in! Much as I will miss my kitty this week, it's an important message to send.
Yeah, normally I don't change my avatar so easily, but in this case I make an exception.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
33.33%
The paper was reasonable (1)
11.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
11.11%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
44.44%

Watched Threads