This discussion is closed.
Felix Felicis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Elcano)
So it's not 'completely wrong'.
Are you studying maths at university? If you are, you really should realise that this is​ completely wrong...
Elcano
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Felix Felicis)
Are you studying maths at university? If you are, you really should realise that this is​ completely wrong...
No, I'm not. And no, it is not completely wrong. There's a plus missing. That's it.
james22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope, YOU'RE the one who keeps quoting me.

Yep, I forgot it. As I said before. Still want to go on and on about it?
You said that the limit was infinity, I quoted you saying it wasn't to avoid any confusion that it may cause. You then quoted me back saying that wolfram alpha agrred with you. I pointed out that this was not true then you replied back asking me if I could read.
KeepYourChinUp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tazmaniac97)
Why does 13 divided by 0 not equal infinity? I really don't understand why?:confused:
My Maths teacher who has a PhD. in Mathematics told us. So basically I told my friend in another class, and she said it doesn't. So we both decided to have a bet on here on which one of us is right.
There is some ambiguity about division by zero and infinity. The reason it's undefined is because it's both infinity and n.

I have a pie, I divide the pie 0 times, how many pies do I have? I have 1 pie.

I have 1 pie, how many times can I take 0 slices? Infinitely many times.
james22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, I'm not. And no, it is not completely wrong. There's a plus missing. That's it.
It is completely wrong. It's like saying that 1+1=8 is almost right because you just need a little line above one of the 1's to make it a 7. As I said, taht plus is very important and completely changes the meaning of the equation. But even with the +, it is still possible to have 1/f(x) not existing when x->0+, where f(0)=0.
Elcano
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by james22)
You said that the limit was infinity, I quoted you saying it wasn't to avoid any confusion that it may cause. You then quoted me back saying that wolfram alpha agrred with you. I pointed out that this was not true then you replied back asking me if I could read.
I quoted you saying wolfram alpha agreed with me, quoting what it said, which clearly were one-sided limits. Which means I already corrected my mistake of forgetting the plus, I didn't know you would start a murder investigation because of that.
Elcano
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is completely wrong. It's like saying that 1+1=8 is almost right because you just need a little line above one of the 1's to make it a 7.
No, it is not.

But even with the +, it is still possible to have 1/f(x) not existing when x->0+, where f(0)=0.
What do you mean exactly? 13/x does contain a f(x) where f(0)=0, and yet lim(x->0+)=+inf.... and I'm not talking about any f(x), I'm talking about the specific example mentioned in the thread title.
james22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I quoted you saying wolfram alpha agreed with me, quoting what it said, which clearly were one-sided limits. Which means I already corrected my mistake of forgetting the plus, I didn't know you would start a murder investigation because of that.

No, it is not.

What do you mean exactly? 13/x does contain a f(x) where f(0)=0, and yet lim(x->0+)=+inf.... and I'm not talking about any f(x), I'm talking about the specific example mentioned in the thread title.
I'll reply to these later, at a better hour.
james22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wolfram alpha didn't agree with you. It agreed with me.

No, it is not.

The OP didn't specify 13/x as x->0, he said 13/0. You could equally treat tht as meaning 13/f(x) where f(x)->0 as x->0.
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why are you incapable of saying

"I was wrong"
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh dear. Another case of mathematical idiots trying to teach mathematicians their own subject.
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a uni student studying Economics, I have actually played with infinities for more than I can remember. And we always interpreted 1 / infinity as zero when doing integrals. The same with e^infinity.

Is this wrong? Is it really wrong to say 1 / infinity = 0?
DannyYYYY
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Arguing over a maths question. Laughably pathetic.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SecretDuck)
As a uni student studying Economics, I have actually played with infinities for more than I can remember. And we always interpreted 1 / infinity as zero when doing integrals. The same with e^infinity.

Is this wrong?
Is it really wrong to say 1 / infinity = 0?
Not in the context of your work, no

There is a difference between Maths and the need to use maths in the real world
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Not in the context of your work, no

There is a difference between Maths and the need to use maths in the real world
Thank you

We use infinities mainly in probability distributions and we always have to think about 1 / infinity as a limiting case.
ChildishHambino
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ninuzu)
There's SO many YouTube videos on dividing by zero... Numberphile actually found that it could actually equal anything you like, and they came up with a proof to show it.
do you mean 0/0 can be anything?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SecretDuck)

Is this wrong? Is it really wrong to say 1 / infinity = 0?
No, because Adam Smith never had to calculate how many minus pins, an irrational number of workers could make in an imaginary number of days.
OMGWTFBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because infinity is a concept and not a number.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
No, because Adam Smith never had to calculate how many minus pins, an irrational number of workers could make in an imaginary number of days.
prsom
ninuzu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChildishHambino)
do you mean 0/0 can be anything?
No.
I think this is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRRol...6Q&app=desktop
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.04%
The paper was reasonable (388)
42.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (175)
19.19%
It was TERRIBLE (148)
16.23%

Watched Threads