Media Studies - seriously, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigJosh)
    Media Studies - seriously, why?
    Not respectable though is it?
    Though it does look like a fun one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths further maths and biology are all easy and respected. Id imagine there are others but I have no experience to speak from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    You clearly can't ask a question correctly.

It should be "What are the 4 easiest A levels for someone who is rubbish at Maths, Science and Computing?"
    I am not rubbish at Maths lmao. I'm predicted an A for AS level...

ReputationRep:
    WHY are people saying General Studies is a respectable A Level? Most universities will not accept the UCAS points awarded from General Studies and most colleges/6th forms make General Studies compulsary anyway. Its usually a pointless 4th or 5th A Level which you're made to do where the time could be spent studying the subjects you have chosen/enjoy!

I studied Eng Lit, Law and Photography, with General Studies thrown in too! I also studied History for AS but dropped it after the 1st year. As someone who studied the 'soft' A Level Photography I can tell you most of my time went into that one, as it is very heavy on practical work - if you dont do it, you dont get the grades! Universities know this and appreciate the TIME which goes into 'Arts' subjects.

OBVIOUSLY I am not saying that Arts take time and others dont - Im just sticking up for Arts! They get a lot of stick and if youre looking to do one dont let people put you off, much better to excell in a subject you will enjoy than struggle in one which youre doing just because it 'looks better' an A* in Arts in gonna look better than a fail in Physics

- with my A Levels I got into University, was awarded an Upper Second Class BSc and have gained employment after graduation

If everyone did maths and science it would be an awfully boring place! Do what is right for you!

ReputationRep:
    "Easy" and "respectable" do not belong in the same sentence as far as A-levels go. A specific A-level is invariably respected for the fact that it is not easy.

ReputationRep:
    Completely subjective, one of my friends finds maths A-level ridiculously easy whereas I'd get a U even if I worked my balls off, whereas I find English Literature quite easy and he can't write an essay to save his life. Look at your own strengths. But to be honest, if you're already trying to cut corners by looking for 'easy' but 'respectable' A-levels I'd suggest you should re-evaluate whether that path is really for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaNicky)
    Completely subjective, one of my friends finds maths A-level ridiculously easy whereas I'd get a U even if I worked my balls off, whereas I find English Literature quite easy and he can't write an essay to save his life. Look at your own strengths. But to be honest, if you're already trying to cut corners by looking for 'easy' but 'respectable' A-levels I'd suggest you should re-evaluate whether that path is really for you.
    This. I really don't understand these threads, different people find different things easy/difficult.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of ease in getting good grades, I'd say that amongst "facilitating subjects ", it'd easily maths.

It has the second highest a* /a rate and there is a phenomenal amount of resources available. If you are good at maths, it's pretty much a joke. If you aren't, then you will need to put in the work but can eventually get the grades with sufficient effort.

Compared to other subjects there's also no coursework meaning even less effort, although some might prefer banked marks. In addition, you can get away with doing 4As modules whilst still getting an a level.

FM is harder in raw difficulty but easier in the sense that your modules are more flexible and spread to get the *. I'd say that's the content makes it much.harder to bank as an level though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Geography- one of those subjects that requires no understanding whatsoever (especially human) where you just regurgitate information. Difficulty of content is low but theres LOADS of it. The human section on the other hand is pretty much just all common sense and all you need to do is memorise case studies. 2 hour exam-rather long and tiring but the format of questions is very straightforward and the highest marked question is only out of 15. Low grade boundaries also. AQA Unit 2 paper is the absolute dream-section 1 of this paper is so straightforward that those that don't even study geog could get 100%. Section 2 is answering questions on your fieldwork investigation which means school trip!!!!

Economics- Relatively straightforward concepts for both micro and macro. Multiple choice section on Unit 1 also makes getting your required grade easier. Also, you don't need any maths past GCSE standard for AS economics at least!

Biology- Slightly harder than geog and econ but is the most respectable out of these 3 and is also by far the easiest science you could take.

Maths- If you're relatively good at maths then maths is probably the easiest subject to get the highest UMS in! (should really be getting an A* at gcse). AS maths is a doddle- C1,C2 and S1 and you don't have to be particularly "gifted" to do well in these, A2 on the other hand is 100x harder- the concepts in C3 and C4 are incredibly complicated and the M1 is just hit or miss really depending on how good you are with forces etc (physics related stuff)- I was terrible.

In my opinion, the easiest "respectable" selection would be taking Geography, Biology, Economics and Maths and then dropping maths after AS and carrying on the other 3 to A2 if maths isnt your strong point. If you are god at maths however, consider also taking further maths. I've just finished my AS exams so can't speak for A2 content apart from maths which I finished this year!

ReputationRep:
    Maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, history and English lit all have very high a* and a rates. Further maths is extremely high (40% I think roughly). But obviously those students are more capable. It would be best taking a levels that you enjoy, from the list of a levels that the likes of Oxbridge recommend.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.