Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

I can't even get over how overrated Breaking Bad is Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    So the first two series I got through very very slowly, usually when I discover new series I get through them very quickly but I found it difficult to get into and boring. I only got through it because I was told it gets amazing but throughout the entire rest of the tv show I've been waiting for this point and it just hasn't happened. It has been a decent watch but far below my expectations.. hell there was one episode dedicated to swatting a fly..

Anyone agree? Game of Thrones is far superior.

I'd have to agree with you bro. Breaking bad was pretty good but when I came across episode one of Game of Thrones, I literally **** my pants. Every season got better, and every episode left me in tears, shock, joy or erect 100% obsessed with GoT

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the second season...it's SO well done, I mean, the tention, the characters, the details...

I mean, I sure I it's true that it gets better, but Season 2 episode 1 I thought was a case study on how to do create tension from a character stuck in a situation.

I love how you can see that Hank is mostly a decent guy (if a little loud and rude), but when he gets close to Walt's secret you start to resent him purely because you're given the perspective of Walt, his jealousy, his unease.

I love how Walt's passiveness changes as he goes through traumatic experiences and becomes more assertive, but how we see that the fact that he feels he has no choice but to commit the crimes he does mirrors how he feels he hasn't had a choice in how his life has turned out. Tragically, his attempts to clai autonomy over his life in his final years leads him, so far from where I am, down a road of no return where he has again has no choice in his actions, and acts out of necessity.

None of this is new, but it's done very well. This is coming from somebody who thought it was going to be crap.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Prison break and Dexter were far more enjoyable for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samthemiller)
    It's something to do with how the writer manages to reflect modern political tensions in a medieval setting, and how it's kind of 'realistic' fantasy in that the good guys don't win, and neither do the bad guys. You never know what's coming next (unless you read the books), the dialogue is cracking, the characters are believable, and all have quality back stories, the houses all have stories going back thousands of years, the level of detail is immense, the setting is well chosen, the episodes are well paced, tense and dramatic without being too contrived, I could go on
    The bits in italics are true for all fantasy and the rest is much truer for several other TV shows (House of Cards, but even Season 4 + 5 Breaking Bad - you calling Walter a good guy, or a bad guy? Does he win? It's much less cut and dry than "even" Game of Thrones - I say "even", but Game of Thrones is only more mature in this respect than typical childish fantasy stories or those which all have happy endings, not nearly as much as realist fiction). Dialogue - I'll probably give you that over Breaking Bad (but again HoC is in a different league). Characters are believable - you kidding, Game of Thrones characters are more believable than Breaking Bad? They are more believable than your run-of-the-mill good-guys-win fantasy story but the psychology is nowhere near as realistic or continuously accurate as Breaking Bad.

(BTW ... You could respond to some of my comments rather than just reiterate the view that Breaking Bad is overrated.)

Quality back-stories? Ok, Game of Thrones wins this one hands-down - some of the characters have pretty impressive back-stories, particularly by fantasy standards (Varys and Tywin/Tyrion, very good stuff) - but the whole point of Breaking Bad is the change we see, not the past behind it. Still, I can see why you enjoy this aspect of Game of Thrones.

As for the thing in bold, can you give any examples? Obviously GoT is not going to bear comparison to say House of Cards when it comes to politics, but then it shouldn't - my point being that GoT is neither about nor contains serious or meaningful references to politics. There are a couple of basics such as the character of a king like Joffrey, but they're not exactly original.

ReputationRep:
    I like both shows but prefer GoT to BB. I found BB good but not spectacular until the end of season 3 onwards when it started to live up to the hype. The Ozymandias episode was the episode where I think most of the pay off built up in the series came out and BB could have (and maybe should have) ended the series there. I personally prefer GoT however, characters are so believable, unlike with BB literally any character can die and the dialogue between characters is written to perfection and the huge cast, although distracting, hosts so many brilliant actors/actresses with their own stand out moments. I also love how despite the obvious backlash with female nudity the strongest characters in GoT are women (Daenerys, Arya, Brienne etc) in stark contrast to BB (Skylar and Marie). They're both great shows I understand why BB is more critically acclaimed but I personally love and am obssessed with GoT more

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you didn't understand it.

BB > GoT series, not that GoT is a bad show.

The books are far superior though.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you didn't like it does not make it overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    As for the thing in bold, can you give any examples? Obviously GoT is not going to bear comparison to say House of Cards when it comes to politics, but then it shouldn't - my point being that GoT is neither about nor contains serious or meaningful references to politics. There are a couple of basics such as the character of a king like Joffrey, but they're not exactly original.
    This

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was one of the best shows I have ever watched, but then I think GoT is fairly tedious so go figure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    Also, less modern, but this

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think that about most of these ponderous, majestic American dramas, even Game of Thrones.

ReputationRep:
    Yo mr white, *****, magnets yess science yes mr white where's my money *****!?!??! Gatorade me *****. They're rocks Hank... NO.. They're minerals Marie, Jesus. My own private domicile....*****.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness, I watched up until series 4 at a previous flat, then had the internet disconnected as a result of moving and have yet to watch to the end. I'll probably start again from series 3 and continue to the finish at some point in the future.

Objectively speaking, a lot about Breaking Bad is excellent. The story itself is highly improbable, but the way the arc plays out grounds it to the point of being believable. The acting and writing are excellent, as is the cinematography. A lot of people have mentioned Game of Thrones as being a superior plot, but the subtleties in the acting and writing in Breaking Bad, as well as the fact that it's set in reality (rather than a fantastical slant on medieval times, set in a different world), mean that the comparison is somewhat moot. I find GoT hugely enjoyable and agree that there's some great plot twists, but I wouldn't hold the plot up as something masterful, although I find it compulsive watching as a series.

Personally, I think it is written and acted brilliantly. The way characters wrestle with decisions and how this unfolds as the series progresses is done very well. I was getting to more of a crux in this when I stopped watching and am led to believe it would only continue upwards from there. To be honest, I agree that you need to watch beyond the first two series in order to reach a judgement.

It's excellent t.v. undoubtedly, but still surpassed by The Wire imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    Well seeing as your username comes from one of the most painfully awful series' of tv ever produced, I think we can safely discount your opinion when it comes to judging the quality of tv.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you look at when my username was created, it was before the series aired :rollseyes:

ReputationRep:
    JESUS CHRIST MARIE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    Yo mr white, *****, magnets yess science yes mr white where's my money *****!?!??! Gatorade me *****. They're rocks Hank... NO.. They're minerals Marie, Jesus. My own private domicile....*****.

LOL ! How I love jesse pinkman !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finished the show. It wasn't bad by all means, just wasn't amazing. I just didn't care for any of the characters, it wasn't emotionally captivating at all like Dexter and GoT and the episode endings and particularly the series endings didn't leave me on edge wanting to know what happens next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Finished the show. It wasn't bad by all means, just wasn't amazing. I just didn't care for any of the characters, it wasn't emotionally captivating at all like Dexter and GoT and the episode endings and particularly the series endings didn't leave me on edge wanting to know what happens next.
    That's how I felt about the first 3 seasons of BB after that I found it a lot more captivating. I do have to say that I agree with what you're saying about GoT I definitely care more about the characters and there are way more cliffhangers in the show making it more interesting from the get go. I guess it all comes down to personal taste at the end of the day, they're both great shows but are also very different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    game of thrones is the overrated one if you ask me, i feel asleep during the first episode.
    I don't like GoT either but how can boobs put you to sleep? :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_green_day)
    I don't like GoT either but how can boobs put you to sleep? :O
    there was boobs? must of been so dire that it just desensitised my brain, all i remember is some1 getting beheaded and then they name some dogs for about 30mins. honestly one of the slowest moving series ive ever watched.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.