Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is being a nice guy something that won't benefit me? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Just dont be overly nice. (a pushover)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    As with a lot of things, everything in moderation. Of course treat people well and what not, but you don't want to come across as a push over and end up like this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2652204

ReputationRep:
    My observations of real life is that the notion of "karma" is not some mysterious force, it is an empirical observation about a holistic generalised positive feedback mechanism.

If you behave like a ****, life will be a **** to you. If you behave well and genuinely try to make other people's lives better, life will do you favours.

ReputationRep:
    Nice guys do fine, sexless wet blankets will remain turbo-virgins for life.

ReputationRep:
    I think its just one of those phases she's going through, 'the bad boy phase' and you shouldn't change yourself for anyone,
    I prefer nice guys with a flirty edge and I believe you're in the friendzone so either you get her to notice you 'in that way' or the chances are slim because she's always going to see you as a friend,
    Why don't you ask her on a date in a nice place and see what she says? You can hide your feelings forever,
    I'm in year 11 too (don't know if that helps) and I like a confident, ambitious guy with a personality similiar to mine,
    But like me she may not be looking for a relationship?
    What do you look Iike OP, I know looks aren't everything but they do play a part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    Here is the key. Nice is a violent word and has dark under tones of insincerity. Being kind is what you should go for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is true

People you're "nice" too:

Your boss
    Your mother-in-law
    Your little sister

Do you actually like any of these people?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Apart from your sister nope

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think there's a difference between being just nice, and being nice with a personality - maybe it's that a gentleman has more of a personality than someone who is just nice? I always go for a gentleman over a "bad boy", so to speak. There's nothing wrong with being nice, but personally I'd want someone with other attributes that attract me to him. Not gonna lie, I like a guy who is nice, acts like a gentleman, but has a "dirty" side. Kinda beat around the bush but what I'm trying to say is there's nothing wrong with being nice, as long as you also have a personality, you can hold a decent conversation.

ReputationRep:
    A great article here, aimed at nice guys who think they've been (that awful phrase) "friend-zoned". Very amusing, and right on the button. Study it, OP!

http://nosleeptilbrooklands.blogspot...l?spref=tw&m=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    But, a few years after that, that guy will probably be cast aside and women will see a lot in the "nice" guy who is genuine and won't let them down.
    Errrr so basically nice guys finish last once she is done with "bad boys". I personally don't believe in that statement but saying things like what I have quoted does not do well to disprove it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Errrr so basically nice guys finish last once she is done with "bad boys". I personally don't believe in that statement but saying things like what I have quoted does not do well to disprove it.
    I think it's just a case of maturity. Girls tend to go for the popular, good-looking boys who get lots of attention; women, with the experience of a few broken hearts and a bit more life experience, aren't fooled so easily. It's no different to how boys usually fancy the cheerleader types in school, but that changes once they've grown up a bit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Most people are nice, what else do you have going for you?

ReputationRep:
    Nice guys are the best kind If only there were more of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    if hes fat, tell him hes a bane on society because being fat negatively effects the economy. also tell him if hes unconfident and insecure about it then he should try loose weight.
    Ouch! He's not a bane on society. I'm actually offended for him now. He's honestly like the most outgoing person in our group and everyone listens to him. He always makes jokes and we all laugh. It's just the fat jokes that annoy me. He is trying to lose weight actually! Your stereotyping him when you have no idea who he is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Why are you deluding him that there"s nothing wrong with being too nice? This boy is going to get BUUURNED and you know it. A broken heart or a trampled ego. I wish he won't but I sense it coming.
    Woaaah. I understand you're point about how maybe we shouldn't be kind because other people aren't back, but I still disagree with it. I can see that it feels pointless and I feel like that too sometimes but I want to be a nice person. I don't want to be defined as a **** because people in my past made me that way. People have been horrible but that doesn't mean I'm going to end up like that. I honestly think that being nice to people can spread, the same way being rude can too. It doesn't work on everyone, but it does work. They say a smile is contagious, why can't kindness be?
    Maybe he will get burned... But not by everyone. While some people make wounds, others heal them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.