Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllaGwenn)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I always struggle with political nationalism. I thinks it's basically the 1848 Revolutions. Although they were largely unsuccessful - due to the lack of clear aims and disagreements among the revolutionaries - they brought the idea of unification to the mass public...
    Thank you so much! it's just that I only knew that the Frankfurt parliament and 'watch on the Rhine' were part of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y2J97)
    To all you Paper 2 geniuses out there, I'm wondering if you can help me.

I'm confused with the allocation of marks for the 10 markers. What will get me full marks?

4 source points
    4 points of contextualizing recall to back up source points
    2 points of total recall

4 source points
    4 points of contextualizing recall to back up source points
    7 points of total recall

4 source points
    7 points of total recall
    I usually just write down 4 source points, expand the ones I know I can add to, and then whatever is left I use recall There's no specific allocation for points of recall/expanding on source points, as long as you have at least 6 points from your own knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think if I was to focus on why the Liberal Reforms happened and their impact & women and the vote for Britain I'd most likely get a question? And for Germany if I focused on how the Nazi Party came to power and their impact, and obstacles to German unification? I'm starting to get really worried about the questions, my teacher said we'd definitely get one on the Liberals/Nazis but i'm worried we won't

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

How long would you guys say your essays are in length (words not pages) as i'm worried i'm expecting myself to write too much and in the end screw an essay up due to running out of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcticcmonkeys)
    I usually just write down 4 source points, expand the ones I know I can add to, and then whatever is left I use recall There's no specific allocation for points of recall/expanding on source points, as long as you have at least 6 points from your own knowledge!
    Everyone does it differently. It can also vary depending on the source - sometimes it is easy to pick out things from the source, sometimes it can be tricky.
    My teacher generally advises to find atleast 3 things from the source (try for more) and atleast 7 points of recall.own knowledge to ensure that you will get the 10 marks.

My advice? Pick out bits from the source and build on them with recall, then expand on things the source doesn't mention with as much recall as you can possibly remember to make sure you get as many marks as you possibly can.

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to the thread, a 6th year doing History and going to Edinburgh next year!
    I'm doing the Russian Revolution and Democracy in Britain for my essay topics, anyone doing anything similar? I have found studying Russia to be really interesting, which surprised me because at the start of the year I thought it would be really dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattsam12)
    Hiya,

How long would you guys say your essays are in length (words not pages) as i'm worried i'm expecting myself to write too much and in the end screw an essay up due to running out of time.
    All of the 17, 18 and19 mark essays I've written were between 855-1200 words. However, my teacher always emphasises that they're looking for quality not quantity.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think if I was to focus on why the Liberal Reforms happened and their impact & women and the vote for Britain I'd most likely get a question? And for Germany if I focused on how the Nazi Party came to power and their impact, and obstacles to German unification? I'm starting to get really worried about the questions, my teacher said we'd definitely get one on the Liberals/Nazis but i'm worried we won't
    A question about the Nazis has come up every year since 2009 (2/3 questions in 2012!) and the Liberal Reforms has come up for the past four consecutive years. So it's likely they will be included this year. However, it's safer to focus on women too.

ReputationRep:
    A question about the Nazis has come up every year since 2009 (2/3 questions in 2012!) and the Liberal Reforms has come up for the past four consecutive years. So it's likely they will be included this year. However, it's safer to focus on women too.
    I really hope it comes up again! I'm only nervous because it's been up so often, but then again I doubt they'll take it out, or I hope not! What topics are you focusing on?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any good revision tips on how to memorise history essays? I keep going back and always seem to forget a thing or two

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecupcakes)
    Anyone have any good revision tips on how to memorise history essays? I keep going back and always seem to forget a thing or two

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I say don't memorise an essay word for word : It comes off as really stilted. Memorise the facts and argument, and then you can construct and essay with that information to fit the wording of any question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambry)
    I say don't memorise an essay word for word : It comes off as really stilted. Memorise the facts and argument, and then you can construct and essay with that information to fit the wording of any question
    Yeah I'll probably learn essay plans but it's still quite a lot to take in and memorise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All of the 17, 18 and19 mark essays I've written were between 855-1200 words. However, my teacher always emphasises that they're looking for quality not quantity.
    hey, this might be a bit sneaky, but do you have copies of your essays that I might be able to look at just to see how you've written them? I always seem to be stuck on the 12-14 mark and I have no idea how to improve. Or if you have any tips on how to get more marks. Thanks either way.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope it comes up again! I'm only nervous because it's been up so often, but then again I doubt they'll take it out, or I hope not! What topics are you focusing on?
    The Suffragettes, Liberal Welfare Reforms, German nationalism and Bismarck (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldenAge)
    hey, this might be a bit sneaky, but do you have copies of your essays that I might be able to look at just to see how you've written them? I always seem to be stuck on the 12-14 mark and I have no idea how to improve. Or if you have any tips on how to get more marks. Thanks either way.
    Don't worry about it, although my handwriting is awful in most of them. However, I can type up a couple tomorrow and send them to you if you'd like? I just ensure I link back to the question frequently. Including historiography is also always beneficial (although it's not essential).

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, although my handwriting is awful in most of them. However, I can type up a couple tomorrow and send them to you if you'd like? I just ensure I link back to the question frequently. Including historiography is also always beneficial (although it's not essential).
    If you could that would be lovely, thanks! I don't really understand what historiography is, if I'm honest. I don't think my teacher has even mentioned that it's a thing.

ReputationRep:
    So am I, definitely! I'm going to focus on the liberal reforms for Britain and the Nazi party for the Germany topic - questions come up for them every year, so as long as you focus on all aspects you'll get an essay question! Paper 2 is what I'm most comfortable with, do you do migration and empire or something else?

That's great, well done! Mines went pretty well, was happy with it by the end

Tell me about it, it's so stressful I wish history was a bit later, but what can you do...
    I'm definitely more sound with how to work paper 2. A lot of the questions are just free marks, which is always super nice of the SQA to give us. I did Scottish Wars, mostly because the head of department is a lad and may or may not have written the textbook. Narcissism is never something to be frowned upon where I come from

That's good then. And yeah, I wish we had more time. I'm just happy that I have a long break until physics. History I can do, that I cannot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldenAge)
    If you could that would be lovely, thanks! I don't really understand what historiography is, if I'm honest. I don't think my teacher has even mentioned that it's a thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! Historiography is basically quoting historians in your essay to back-up your argument.
    So if you were discussing economic nationalism in your essay and you went on to write about the Zollverein, you could finish it with:
    Overall, the Zollverein was a significant factor in the development of economic nationalism and in the unification of Germany. Historian Andrina Styles agrees with this when stating "the Zollverein was a force for unity in the 1840s".

But as I said, it's not essential unless at AH History, it just impresses the markers and improves your argument marks.

Sorry if I've not explained that very well.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! Historiography is basically quoting historians in your essay to back-up your argument.
    So if you were discussing economic nationalism in your essay and you went on to write about the Zollverein, you could finish it with:
    Overall, the Zollverein was a significant factor in the development of economic nationalism and in the unification of Germany. Historian Andrina Styles agrees with this when stating "the Zollverein was a force for unity in the 1840s".

But as I said, it's not essential unless at AH History, it just impresses the markers and improves your argument marks.

Sorry if I've not explained that very well.
    Oh, okay. That makes total sense. I have no idea why our teacher never mentioned anything like that... xD

ReputationRep:
    is anyone able to give me a break down of everything that goes into special topic 5? I'm really confused about what I need to know. thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.