Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Girlfriend turned vegan - do we have to break up?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Damn I'm surprised about all these replies, basically calling OP the one in the wrong, he has to change to fit her new lifestyle choice, why is this? He is a meat eater, he describes himself as such, hell it doesn't even matter about his gym goals, why is it he should suddenly have to completely alter his diet to suit his partner? So she doesn't eat meat now and suddenly doesn't like it, she can't expect him to change as well. It's not difficult for her to just put some chicken in the oven, she barely has to touch it at all. I mean what's her problem, some ethical thing about the poor animals? What about the poor animals who's habitat is being annihilated for soy bean plantations, or the significant population dips in certain rodents when its harvest time, whir up those slashing blades boys. Morally you can find issues from either diet, for it is the quantity that we need to produce which harms the environment either way. What if OP got organic free range meat from smaller suppliers, wonder if that would be acceptable...

There's also the fact that this vegan thing is new, she's apparently okay with him eating meat right now, how long do you think that's going to last? I guarantee she will start harassing/shaming OP for eating meat, "you can't keep that stuff in our fridge", type of thing.

That said, OP it really doesn't take long for you to grill a steak/chicken breast etc to add to her vegetable main. My greater concern is for how long you will have that option. So go with it for now IMO, but if she starts controlling what you can actually eat, head for the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)

OP I totally understand your angle, but I think you need to look into veganism a little more. It's not all 'rabbit food' and 'carrot soup', with some training and practise and little bit of effort and support, your girlfriend can definitely make foods that will support you as well. The whole 'no protein without meat' argument is absolute bull haha. Tofu, beans and nuts and seeds are in the top 10 protein foods according to a simple google, for example. I think a compromise can be made - you should eat her food say 4 times a week, provided she make a bit more of an effort to make it substantial for you, and then you eat what you like a few other nights. Cooking a good meal is really not that hard, even after a day of work it could take you half an hour for a good chicken dish.
    Why should he conform to her ways and eat vegetarian alternatives just cause she's being incredibly immature? Won't handle meat just because of her choice. Right, what if he made the choice not to make food for her on weekends? I bet she'd be really pleased if he took that attitude. She's simply being incredibly immature and needs to grow up.

Either OP is dating an 8 year old or someone with the mentality of one. Im not a vegan but if my other half was then I'd buy vegan stuff she wished for during shopping and if she liked fish, even though im not a fan of it, i'd still handle it and cook it for her. Its called compromise and being an adult.

OP, no offence mate but dump her and find a woman with a bit of a brain. She needs to get her act together.

(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    At the weekend, when you're not working, prepare a load of meals for yourself for the week and freeze them to microwave for your meals during the week. You might save some money this way too... You could do a big bolognese and freeze portions which you could then add beans and chilli to and have with rice if you don't fancy spag bol. You could also make casseroles and currys with meat and freeze portions. You could probably do meals to last a few weeks like this.
    As pointed out above, he shouldn't have to do this. He's working full time and she's being incredibly selfish and immature by saying she wont touch meat to just prepare meals for him. What should happen is OP's girlfriend should wake up and get her act together and understand relationships are about compromise or OP should leave her and then maybe she'll realise what an immature fool she's been and wake up that way.

(Original post by Musie Suzie)
    She's being daft/selfish in not even being prepared to cook meat for you, especially as she must be aware of your bodybuilding and requirement for protein. I totally understand that you don't want to be cooking when you get home from work, too.
    Great post and 100% agree. She's being immature and selfish.

(Original post by redferry)
    This has nothing to do with her being vegan and everything to do with you being ungrateful for the fact she cooks for you.
    How have you come to that conclusion? Please do elaborate. He cooks for her on weekends and even cooks her vegan food because thats what commitment is.

If you break up you re still going to have yo cook your own means after work. You get in at half 7! I don't get home until half 8 most days and still cook a full meal every evening, its not like it takes long.
    His circumstances are completely different. He's working full time, she's working part time. She doesn't want to touch meat and compromise with him then he should take the same immature attitude with her when it comes to finances or something else. Why should he compromise when she's unwilling to do so? What if he claimed he wasn't going to handle or cook vegetables and took the same immature approach?

Also you need to ditch the preconception that vegan meals arent 'proper food', you can get enough protein without meat in your diet and the only thing vegn diets lack is B32 which is easily remedied with supplements. Try asking your gf if she wouldn't mind making more hearty foods like felafel burgers, veggie chilli or some nice home made bread to go with that soup.
    Almost died with laughter. Why should he have to conform to her lifestyle choices just because she won't cook meat? He shouldn't. She's being totally unreasonable. No one is asking her to eat the food. I wonder how she would feel if he refused to cook vegetables on weekends. I bet she'd be quite peeved and rightly so because its an immature attitude.

Also, no you cant get more than enough protein whilst lifting to maintain gains. That's insane to suggest that. Most vegetarian bodybuilders use soy protein powders. Again, why should he have to conform and use alternatives because of her? You yourself even mentioned supplements. Why should he be taking supplements for something he can gain from eating meats and foods he enjoys and likes? She's being unreasonable and nobody is asking her to eat such food but just cook it. There is absolutely nothing hard about her cooking meat for him. She could in fact do it without even handling the actual meat. Slit the film and turn it upside and let it drop into the bloody frying pan.

Wow......such gravity...such physics....much science. :rolleyes:

That's what I thought.

I reckon he's just doing it to try and threaten her out of being vegan.
    Your mentality of women always being the victim is disturbing. In what way is he trying to threaten her? Hes actively supported her by cooking vegan food for her FFS. Do you just pick and choose what you read? He's supporting her yet she will not support him. Its as silly as him going 'omg i wont touch vegetables cause its for rabbits and so beta. omg how will i ever be as big as Zyzz and get girls to admire me?'. Its immature and quite frankly anyone with such an attitude needs to grow the **** up.

(Original post by pickup)
    Well, OP, welcome to the real world.

Many, yea most people, work for a living full time, even have second jobs, and also cook and clean - some miracle workers even have children, elderly parents, ill / disabled relations.... and look after them too.
    Yeah but they're in a committed relationship and had an understanding. She changed that due to a change in beliefs and this has affected him. What if he changed his beliefs to something as idiotic that led to him to telling her he refused to cook vegetables? Its immature and its ridiculous. No one is asking her to eat the meat.

Goodness knows how you will cope when you grow up and realise that the universe doesn't revolve around you.
    Yeah it doesn't resolve around her either. She's the one who needs to grow up. Why should he have to conform to her newly found ways and accept all the changes? She clearly doesn't value him much. She wont cook him the meal she wants and is putting a newly found way of life over her boyfriend. Wow, what a lovely woman and person she sounds. OP should leave her imo and find a mature woman who knows what actually matters.

If something as small as your girl friend being a vegan and not ( understandably) wanting to touch meat is giving you stress, you'll never manage real serious life problems. And no hope for your girl friend if this trivia is making you wonder about breaking up. You can't have much affection for her if you can't accommodate what must be very important to her.
    Its not small though is it when its infringing upon his life too. OP, go find a real woman mate who doesn't have such an immature attitude. Im all for a partner being a vegan but not touching meat to cook for their loved one? Laughable. How would she react if you had the same attitude to vegetables? She'd probably be irate and think what? Which is exactly how you must be feeling now. She's putting her newly found lifestyle, ways and beliefs above you so clearly has very little regard for you and what you wish for. Go find someone who does. You've supported her vegan lifestyle by cooking vegan food for her so its not that you're unwilling to compromise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Damn I'm surprised about all these replies, basically calling OP the one in the wrong, he has to change to fit her new lifestyle choice, why is this? He is a meat eater, he describes himself as such, hell it doesn't even matter about his gym goals, why is it he should suddenly have to completely alter his diet to suit his partner? So she doesn't eat meat now and suddenly doesn't like it, she can't expect him to change as well. It's not difficult for her to just put some chicken in the oven, she barely has to touch it at all.
    100% agree with this. She's just being ridiculous and immature and needs to grow up. Its as daft as OP going 'I'm not going to touch vegetables ever again because its yucky rabbit food'. It's not like he's forcing her to follow his lifestyle choice. He's actively supported her change by cooking her vegan food but there's a point where compromise becomes taking the piss and she's taken it to that point imo.

I'd leave her and find someone mature OP. You seem pretty reasonable tbh. Its not like you ditched her just for turning vegan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Damn I'm surprised about all these replies, basically calling OP the one in the wrong, he has to change to fit her new lifestyle choice, why is this? He is a meat eater, he describes himself as such, hell it doesn't even matter about his gym goals, why is it he should suddenly have to completely alter his diet to suit his partner? So she doesn't eat meat now and suddenly doesn't like it, she can't expect him to change as well. It's not difficult for her to just put some chicken in the oven, she barely has to touch it at all. I mean what's her problem, some ethical thing about the poor animals? What about the poor animals who's habitat is being annihilated for soy bean plantations, or the significant population dips in certain rodents when its harvest time, whir up those slashing blades boys. Morally you can find issues from either diet, for it is the quantity that we need to produce which harms the environment either way. What if OP got organic free range meat from smaller suppliers, wonder if that would be acceptable...

There's also the fact that this vegan thing is new, she's apparently okay with him eating meat right now, how long do you think that's going to last? I guarantee she will start harassing/shaming OP for eating meat, "you can't keep that stuff in our fridge", type of thing.

That said, OP it really doesn't take long for you to grill a steak/chicken breast etc to add to her vegetable main. My greater concern is for how long you will have that option. So go with it for now IMO, but if she starts controlling what you can actually eat, head for the door.

(Original post by Mickey O'Neil)
    100% agree with this. She's just being ridiculous and immature and needs to grow up. Its as daft as OP going 'I'm not going to touch vegetables ever again because its yucky rabbit food'. It's not like he's forcing her to follow his lifestyle choice. He's actively supported her change by cooking her vegan food but there's a point where compromise becomes taking the piss and she's taken it to that point imo.

I'd leave her and find someone mature OP. You seem pretty reasonable tbh. Its not like you ditched her just for turning vegan.
    I agree. I thought I was the only one who thought the OP was being entirely reasonable!

ReputationRep:
    Have you been out in public with her since she's turned vegan yet OP? Your troubles are going to get a lot worse.

Every three minutes she will have to tell everyone within a 100 metre radius that she is vegan. It comes with the territory, being a vegan turns you into an insufferable ********.

Good luck mate. Personally I would never date a girl who was vegan, but she turned on you mid relationship... I still think I personally would have to end it, more for the endless whining about using soap and not having everything made out of hemp.

Let me know how this one goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am respecting her decision!! as I said, she can eat whatever she wants and I'm willing to cook her veggie meals on the weekends when I'm cooking.

I need good quality animal proteins, I do bodybuilding for a sport. Not only do I love meat, but meat protein has a much better amino acid profile than veggie protein.. You maybe don't understand how difficult this is making my week evenings at the moment and how much stress its causing me.
    There is at least one vegan bodybuilder http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_4560059.html

and good reason why you should try to get more of your protein from vegetable sources http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...-a-longer-life

Your girlfriend would probably prefer a meat free house but is respecting your decision to eat meat. You aren't respecting her decision not to participate in killing animals.

From your posts you feel resentment that she is contributing less in financial terms and you do not value what she does instead. You want everything to be about you and your wants. So you probably are heading for a break-up sometime.

Personally I eat meat so I don't know enough about vegan diets or body-building to comment on amino-acid profiles. But if you truly cared about your girlfriend you'd have been researching it rather more than you've done so far.

ReputationRep:
    Do you pay for more? Tell her that you respect her views and will feed yourself but that she can start paying her fair share of everything.

Use what you save to start saving for a place on your own and start looking for someone new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is about my girlfriend and I progressing in our relationship, yet you just want to give sarcastic remarks and insult what we have.

What do you know, you probably have only had a 1/10th of we have.

Please don't comment if you are going to be arrogant and rude.
    ....Was not joking but okay If you were a vegetarian it would be easier and different people will find different things hard to put up with. Just saying.
    Also, being single is fun for me anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickey O'Neil)
    Why should he conform to her ways and eat vegetarian alternatives just cause she's being incredibly immature? Won't handle meat just because of her choice. Right, what if he made the choice not to make food for her on weekends? I bet she'd be really pleased if he took that attitude. She's simply being incredibly immature and needs to grow up.

Either OP is dating an 8 year old or someone with the mentality of one. Im not a vegan but if my other half was then I'd buy vegan stuff she wished for during shopping and if she liked fish, even though im not a fan of it, i'd still handle it and cook it for her. Its called compromise and being an adult.

OP, no offence mate but dump her and find a woman with a bit of a brain. She needs to get her act together.

As pointed out above, he shouldn't have to do this. He's working full time and she's being incredibly selfish and immature by saying she wont touch meat to just prepare meals for him. What should happen is OP's girlfriend should wake up and get her act together and understand relationships are about compromise or OP should leave her and then maybe she'll realise what an immature fool she's been and wake up that way.

Great post and 100% agree. She's being immature and selfish.

How have you come to that conclusion? Please do elaborate. He cooks for her on weekends and even cooks her vegan food because thats what commitment is.

Congratulations but this isn't about you. His circumstances are completely different. He's working full time, she's working part time. She doesn't want to touch meat and compromise with him then he should take the same immature attitude with her when it comes to finances or something else. Why should he compromise when she's unwilling to do so? What if he claimed he wasn't going to handle or cook vegetables and took the same immature approach?

Almost died with laughter. Why should he have to conform to her lifestyle choices just because she won't cook meat? He shouldn't. She's being totally unreasonable. No one is asking her to eat the food. I wonder how she would feel if he refused to cook vegetables on weekends. I bet she'd be quite peeved and rightly so because its an immature attitude.

Also, no you cant get more than enough protein whilst lifting to maintain gains. That's insane to suggest that. Most vegetarian bodybuilders use soy protein powders. Again, why should he have to conform and use alternatives because of her? You yourself even mentioned supplements. Why should he be taking supplements for something he can gain from eating meats and foods he enjoys and likes? She's being unreasonable and nobody is asking her to eat such food but just cook it. There is absolutely nothing hard about her cooking meat for him. She could in fact do it without even handling the actual meat. Slit the film and turn it upside and let it drop into the bloody frying pan.

Wow......such gravity...such physics....much science. :rolleyes:

Your mentality of women always being the victim is disturbing. Your post is also arguably the dumbest thing i've ever read on this forum. In what way is he trying to threaten her? Hes actively supported her by cooking vegan food for her FFS. Do you just pick and choose what you read? He's supporting her yet she will not support him. Its as silly as him going 'omg i wont touch vegetables cause its for rabbits and so beta. omg how will i ever be as big as Zyzz and get girls to admire me?'. Its immature and quite frankly anyone with such an attitude needs to grow the **** up.

Yeah but they're in a committed relationship and had an understanding. She changed that due to a change in beliefs and this has affected him. What if he changed his beliefs to something as idiotic that led to him to telling her he refused to cook vegetables? Its immature and its ridiculous. No one is asking her to eat the meat.

Yeah it doesn't resolve around her either. She's the one who needs to grow up. Why should he have to conform to her newly found ways and accept all the changes? She clearly doesn't value him much. She wont cook him the meal she wants and is putting a newly found way of life over her boyfriend. Wow, what a lovely woman and person she sounds. OP should leave her imo and find a mature woman who knows what actually matters.

Its not small though is it when its infringing upon his life too. OP, go find a real woman mate who doesn't have such an immature attitude. Im all for a partner being a vegan but not touching meat to cook for their loved one? Laughable. How would she react if you had the same attitude to vegetables? She'd probably be irate and think what? Which is exactly how you must be feeling now. She's putting her newly found lifestyle, ways and beliefs above you so clearly has very little regard for you and what you wish for. Go find someone who does. You've supported her vegan lifestyle by cooking vegan food for her so its not that you're unwilling to compromise.

The reason I came to the conclusion that he is just ungrateful is because essentially his complaint boils down to 'my girlfriend won't cook me the dinner that I want and I am unwilling to do it for myself'. It just seems rather demanding to me, as someone who does all the cooking in my household, and also given plenty of people work full time AND have to cook themselves dinner every evening.

I'm not saying he HAS to conform, If you look back over my post I clearly suggested cooking for himself is entirely possible, just that if he really doesn't want to cook that's the only thing for it. I'm sorry if what I am saying isn't clear.

I guess the fact that I know a lot of vegetarian people in couples, none of whom are made to cook meat by their partner maybe means that I judge people by those moral standards. It has nothing to do with her being a girl, I just REAlLY don't see why its such a big deal cooking separate meals.

Also of course I'm going to back him cutting down on meat, its better for the environment. I was just informing him he can get plenty of protein without eating meat every day.

PS Id be greatful if you'd stop being horrible to me, I already spoke to you about this, Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    It's no extra work to cook two meals at once. There's no real justification for her not touching meat, it's already been killed for heaven's sake, and if it's not about protecting the fluffy animals and she just thinks it's disgusting then she's just using the ideology as an excuse to be obnoxious.

After you've had a good little row about this, petulantly insist on cooking your meals separately to hers, buy separate implements, pans etc and be a right martyr about it. Fight fire with fire.

As others have said, once you've made your point, a slow cooker makes delicious rich stews very cheaply and with minimal fuss.
    Out of interest would you say the same about the fact I refuse to cook my boyfriend baked beans because they make me physically sick?

ReputationRep:
    Dont get why people are telling OP to be more open minded when she's being so pathetic as to not even touch meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    Have you been out in public with her since she's turned vegan yet OP? Your troubles are going to get a lot worse.

Every three minutes she will have to tell everyone within a 100 metre radius that she is vegan. It comes with the territory, being a vegan turns you into an insufferable ********.

Good luck mate. Personally I would never date a girl who was vegan, but she turned on you mid relationship... I still think I personally would have to end it, more for the endless whining about using soap and not having everything made out of hemp.

Let me know how this one goes
    Do you know any vegans? I'm guessing no...

I've never met one in any way like this :\

ReputationRep:
    Or just guzzle some protein shakes?
    Whey protein is hella awesome you know. As a vegetarian myself I was eating a ton of kidney beans, tofu and most importantly whey protein to get my 'gains' when I hit gym (albeit two months XD)
    Whey protein is a complete protein too and contains all the essential amino acids you need, so need to worry about quality.

If it's simply the taste you're worried about then fair enough, I'm sure some of the solutions the guys have said here are pretty good if you want to carry on eating meat.

I do think that the underlying problem however is a problem of communication. Why not entertain her for a while and trial out her proposal, and then, if need be, tell her it isn't working and reason with her that you want meat. I'm sure she'd be much more inclined to give in if you go along with it for a bit :L

ReputationRep:
    Do you know any vegans? I'm guessing no...

I've never met one in any way like this :\
    I have. And I always find them smug and self righteous to the point of complete irritation.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest would you say the same about the fact I refuse to cook my boyfriend baked beans because they make me physically sick?
    Of course not, I was being a bit flippant anyway, but I do think it's a bit pathetic when vegetarians refuse to even TOUCH meat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Of course not, I was being a bit flippant anyway, but I do think it's a bit pathetic when vegetarians refuse to even TOUCH meat
    I still occasionally eat the stuff never mind touch it but I don't think I'd feel too happy being asked to cook an extra meal every evening. If it was just grill a chicken breast that's would be OK I guess.

I think if I were her I'd just cook him egg white omelettes and chicken breast every day given that's what my bodybuilding housemate used to eat and they take like 2 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    if you want that Vag you gotta eat some Veg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    I have. And I always find them smug and self righteous to the point of complete irritation.
    You must hang out in pretentious circles.

All the vegans I know I didn't find out until I ate with them. They're some of the least judgeentasll people I know.

ReputationRep:
    You cannot expect a veg*n to cook meat for you. You cannot. You sound like such a drama queen, OP. a) You don't NEED to eat meat, like someone else said, you WANT to and b) If you even consider breaking up with someone because they won't cater to your every dietary whim and cook whatever you want on demand, you're not mature enough to be in a relationship. Grow up and cook for yourself if you're so damn hellbent on eating meat, otherwise be decent and appreciate that she's cooked a meal.

ReputationRep:
    You must hang out in pretentious circles.

All the vegans I know I didn't find out until I ate with them. They're some of the least judgeentasll people I know.
    I don't hang out in pretentious circles. Part of the reason why I don't hang out with vegans.

It's just so long. Like hanging out with someone with a religion. I just can't be bothered with it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.