Things you do which are socially "frowned upon"? Watch

damnation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stargirl63)
So when I was with a friend,my phone rang and he saw on my wallpaper was a picture of myself, a selfie I took about a week earlier. No other friends, no clever caption or meme, just me. He thought this was weird and said that no one does this. I didn't really understand that, because from my point of view, I looked nice :rolleyes: and so yes, I wouldn't mind looking at that picture when I unlock my phone. I didn't even think it suggests I'm vain, because it's not like I'm showing everyone, uploaded it online, or even wanted him to see...it's just for me.

Does anyone else actually do this? Or see the problem in it?

What things do you do which could be seen as perhaps a little socially unacceptable?

Playing with people's pets/children that wander over to me, staring at strangers for a few seconds, giggling to myself
damnation
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by brownbearxo)
Keeping silent when I actually have nothing to say. Apparently its anti social, but I'm just very comfortable being silent when I literally have nothing to say, even if I'm with someone.
Me too! I just smile, or nod instead of saying yes, hand gestures etc when I'm not bothered to talk.. Instead of speech being a social thing I think of it as a means of communication when needed
It's antisocial but whatev
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The worst I do is probably talking whilst eating tbh
HannahHippo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by damnation)
Me too! I just smile, or nod instead of saying yes, hand gestures etc when I'm not bothered to talk.. Instead of speech being a social thing I think of it as a means of communication when needed
It's antisocial but whatev

I use Makton Sign Language (working with SEN children) and I sometimes forget to switch it off...

I find myself avidly using sign language alongside my speech in all sorts of situations

The worst is when I'm driving and I sign thank you to other drivers, who obviously aren't Makaton users (dam them). You put fingers, hand palm down, on your chin and bring it down, open, to your chest.... I often get odd looks for that, I do it in restaurants and shops too, my boyfriend hates it... he finds it embarrassing.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
-Fancy too many actors
-Quote too many things
-Actually want to be a cat lady because sod waiting around
-Giving up on speech mid-conversation and pulling stupid faces instead. I blame meme/gif culture.
-Sing while I'm walking down the street
-Talk to myself
-Swear a lot
-Sleep at unsociable hours, like going to bed at 5am and waking up at 1pm.
-Not wearing a hood/taking an umbrella when I go out in the rain unless I'm going to something where I have to look 'professional'. It's just a bit of rain, my hair will dry, no big deal.
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I go shopping on my own quite often, because I don't really see it as a 'fun' thing to do but more of just a thing that needs to be done and I can get it done so much quicker if I'm only going into the shops I want to visit.

Going out w/ family is quite frowned upon as well, but I genuinely couldn't care what people think about that because they're the ones w/ the credit cards to pay for everything, haha.
Plumstone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Things I do which are socially unacceptable:

- not drinking alcohol

- being happy with my own company

- being very picky about who I spend time with

- not having been to a nightclub despite being in my second year of university (must get round to doing that somewhen)
shiggydiggy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DeceitfulDove)
Actually, the only thing I was trying to be was comfortable, thank you very much.
So you need fake eyes, ears, horns and a tail to feel comfortable? Are you a furry?
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shiggydiggy)
So you need fake ears and a tail to feel comfortable? Are you a furry?
Dude it's totally adorable :unimpressed:
I like comfy, fluffy things kay, if they happen to come complete with body parts then it's a bonus because cewt.

On topic, I got rid of Facebook some months ago and multiple people have brought it up and have been giving me this :lolwut: face when I tell them why, like it's abnormal to not want to know what each of their babies are eating right this second, see sickening videos or just in general not want to be exposed to their idiocy
Steezy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Smoke weed. Pick my nose.
Peachykeen09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DeceitfulDove)
Dude it's totally adorable :unimpressed:
I like comfy, fluffy things kay, if they happen to come complete with body parts then it's a bonus because cewt.

On topic, I got rid of Facebook some months ago and multiple people have brought it up and have been giving me this :lolwut: face when I tell them why, like it's abnormal to not want to know what each of their babies are eating right this second, see sickening videos or just in general not want to be exposed to their idiocy
Same here. The facebook thing, I mean. They act like it's social suicide. Meh.
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not ever having taken a selfie in my entire life.
Mav455
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not talk much. People really need to understand what it means to be an introvert. Im not shy!!!
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I say what I think and dress how I want.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Won't throw away a pair of trainers untill they have literally fallen apart, and even then not untill I've spent a few weeks with it all held together by gaffa tape.
KESEdwards
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having a selfie of just yourself as your phone wall paper is definitely weird for me. If someone did that at our school they would definitely get ripped on a lot, and deservedly so. How can you say that's not vain?
Per
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Openly stare at people's butts
username1107539
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
The only Londoners I have ever found friendly are those not from London who moved there later :P

Macclesfield?
That's a shame - I'm the other way round, born in London and grew up near Crewe :P
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Per)
Openly stare at people's butts
If that's socially frowned on, all I can say is that an awful lot of guys are outside society. :rolleyes:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
If that's socially frowned on, all I can say is that an awful lot of guys are outside society. :rolleyes:
they'd better not stare at my butt, nomsayin

:mob::fuhrer:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads