The Student Room Group

Things you do which are socially "frowned upon"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by damnation
Me too! I just smile, or nod instead of saying yes, hand gestures etc when I'm not bothered to talk.. Instead of speech being a social thing I think of it as a means of communication when needed
It's antisocial but whatev

I use Makton Sign Language (working with SEN children) and I sometimes forget to switch it off...

I find myself avidly using sign language alongside my speech in all sorts of situations

The worst is when I'm driving and I sign thank you to other drivers, who obviously aren't Makaton users (dam them). You put fingers, hand palm down, on your chin and bring it down, open, to your chest.... I often get odd looks for that, I do it in restaurants and shops too, my boyfriend hates it... he finds it embarrassing.
-Fancy too many actors
-Quote too many things
-Actually want to be a cat lady because sod waiting around
-Giving up on speech mid-conversation and pulling stupid faces instead. I blame meme/gif culture.
-Sing while I'm walking down the street
-Talk to myself
-Swear a lot
-Sleep at unsociable hours, like going to bed at 5am and waking up at 1pm.
-Not wearing a hood/taking an umbrella when I go out in the rain unless I'm going to something where I have to look 'professional'. It's just a bit of rain, my hair will dry, no big deal.
(edited 9 years ago)
I go shopping on my own quite often, because I don't really see it as a 'fun' thing to do but more of just a thing that needs to be done and I can get it done so much quicker if I'm only going into the shops I want to visit.

Going out w/ family is quite frowned upon as well, but I genuinely couldn't care what people think about that because they're the ones w/ the credit cards to pay for everything, haha.
Things I do which are socially unacceptable:

- not drinking alcohol

- being happy with my own company

- being very picky about who I spend time with

- not having been to a nightclub despite being in my second year of university (must get round to doing that somewhen)
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Actually, the only thing I was trying to be was comfortable, thank you very much.

So you need fake eyes, ears, horns and a tail to feel comfortable? Are you a furry?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shiggydiggy
So you need fake ears and a tail to feel comfortable? Are you a furry?

Dude it's totally adorable :unimpressed:
I like comfy, fluffy things kay, if they happen to come complete with body parts then it's a bonus because cewt.

On topic, I got rid of Facebook some months ago and multiple people have brought it up and have been giving me this :lolwut: face when I tell them why, like it's abnormal to not want to know what each of their babies are eating right this second, see sickening videos or just in general not want to be exposed to their idiocy :h:
Reply 66
Smoke weed. Pick my nose.
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Dude it's totally adorable :unimpressed:
I like comfy, fluffy things kay, if they happen to come complete with body parts then it's a bonus because cewt.

On topic, I got rid of Facebook some months ago and multiple people have brought it up and have been giving me this :lolwut: face when I tell them why, like it's abnormal to not want to know what each of their babies are eating right this second, see sickening videos or just in general not want to be exposed to their idiocy :h:

Same here. The facebook thing, I mean. They act like it's social suicide. Meh.
Not ever having taken a selfie in my entire life.
Reply 69
Not talk much. People really need to understand what it means to be an introvert. Im not shy!!!
I say what I think and dress how I want.
Reply 71
Won't throw away a pair of trainers untill they have literally fallen apart, and even then not untill I've spent a few weeks with it all held together by gaffa tape.
Having a selfie of just yourself as your phone wall paper is definitely weird for me. If someone did that at our school they would definitely get ripped on a lot, and deservedly so. How can you say that's not vain?
Reply 73
Openly stare at people's butts
Original post by redferry
The only Londoners I have ever found friendly are those not from London who moved there later :P

Macclesfield?

That's a shame - I'm the other way round, born in London and grew up near Crewe :P
Original post by Per
Openly stare at people's butts

If that's socially frowned on, all I can say is that an awful lot of guys are outside society. :rolleyes:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If that's socially frowned on, all I can say is that an awful lot of guys are outside society. :rolleyes:

they'd better not stare at my butt, nomsayin

:mob::fuhrer:
Reply 77
When the muse takes me, I like to speak and behave anachronistically. Sadly, the neighbours don't seem to share my enthusiasm. For the last few weeks I have enjoyed taking on the persona of a courtly troubadour from the Middle Ages, singing out my lyric poems at dusk toward the higher bedroom windows of terrace houses, behind which maidens brush their hair, practice the harpsichord and embroider pastoral scenes.
Reply 78
Original post by Jibola240
Really?

The ultimate TSR hand-wringing exercise is to ask if you would be looked down upon or frowned upon if you did something that was unacceptable.
Original post by BoBosus
You should have respect for your elders.

That sounds a bit pervy/creepy what exactly do you plan on doing to them?

Why don't you have any friends? sounds like a sad lonely life.

What do you mean? I'm probably richer than your parents many people are.

Of course I do, but if I'm only going to pick up essentials e.g. stationary, books, food or whatever, it doesn't need to be a whole big organised shopping trip with friends. Whenever we go shopping together, it's fun, but we end up spending 7+ hours out and then coming home with like one bag, so sometimes it's a lot easier to just pop out (seeing as everything's only 20 minutes away) and grab the things I need.

Quick Reply

Latest