The Student Room Group

Wednesday 14th May exam: English Language AQA A level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does anyone have a example of a grade B language and gender essay? I want to look at some good examples of essays please thank you.
Original post by Baf1
Does anyone have a example of a grade B language and gender essay? I want to look at some good examples of essays please thank you.

Type in 'miss dye english language and gender model' on You Tube

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any examples of A-B grade essays? I need to get a feel for how develop my analysis :frown:
Reply 63
Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
Type in 'miss dye english language and gender model' on You Tube<br>
<br>
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br>
Thank you I think I'm going to just do Language and gender what one are you doing power gender or technology
Reply 64
Original post by angelfox
Can someone give me just a brief overview of the power theories please? :smile:

Sure!

GOFFMAN - FACE THEORY
Positive face - the need to feel wanted or to make people feel wanted
Negative face - the need to not be imposed on; this is particularly stressed by British culture
Face-threatening act - an action/utterance that threatens the conversation and face

LEVINSON AND BROWN - POLITENESS THEORY
Bald on-record politeness - no attempt to save face; "I want a pen!"
Bald off-record politeness - no direct request but a hint instead; "I could sure use a pen right now..."

FAIRCLOUGH - CREATING AN IMAGE OF A TEXT
Power behind discourse - the beliefs that suburb influence or are behind a text
Power within discourse - the power relationship actually within the text itself
Ideology - individual or societal attitudes and beliefs
Implied reader - the expected reader of the text; this may be different to the actual reader
Synthetic Personalization - creating or suggesting a relationship with the audience, particularly through direct address

WAREING - TYPES OF POWER
Influential - the power to persuade and influence the audience
Instrumental - power to maintain or enforce authority
Social Group - power due to social factors eg. age and gender
Political - power of the politicians, government, police force and law
Personal - power due to a person's occupation or role

GILES - ACCOMMODATION THEORY
Downward Convergence - moving speech style away from RP
Upward Convergence - moving speech style towards RP
Mutual Convergence - both participants move their speech styles towards each other
Divergence - the participants' speech styles move away from each other

GRICE - COOPERATIVE PRINCIPLE
Maxim of Quality - be honest and only say what you know to be true
Maxim of Quantity - speak no more and no less than appropriate
Maxim of Relevance - what you say must be relevant to the ongoing context
Maxim of Manner - avoid ambiguity and obscurity
Implicature - when the maxims appear to be flouted but the speaker is actually operating on a deeper level
NOTE: only refer to Grice when the maxims are flouted - otherwise you are just stating the obvious

LAKOFF - POLITENESS PRINCIPLE
Don't impose - same as negative politness/face
Give options - don't force the other person into a corner
Make your receiver feel good - say things to flatter them and make them feel appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing technology??
Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
Is anyone doing the AQA AS english lang exam?? Any revision tips??

what are you finding easier to do? Language and gender or Power?

and how to group texts??

Hey - I'm in A2 and took this exam last year and got an A. If you want any help, I'll be happy to help :h:

I answered the Power question last year. My groups were pronouns, imperatives and 2 others which I can't remember :tongue:
Reply 67
I'm starting to stress, we didn't cover technology so I can't do that even though it seems like it would be the easiest
Luckily we've been taught CT all year (with a pause to do coursework) with one teacher, and the other teacher taught power and gender (plus coursework) so everything has been covered in depth, but I'm a worrier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
I'm planning on doing a group per paragraph and about 3 groups each containing 3-4 texts, I'm not planning on linking the paragraphs in anyway, just 3 separate groups, is this method going to get me high marks or am I limiting myself here with this structure?
Original post by dippers
I'm resitting this, and I don't really know what people mean when they say they use a subgroup. Like you have your overall group, do you then do another little group with the same texts or some of the same texts and another one that isn't in the main grouping?

Original post by corrgeorgia
You group some texts together say for the use of spoken discourse. But then you subgroup where some have spontaneous speech features e.g. fillers and the other pre planned :smile:

Yeah, so if your group was imperatives you could then say text A uses imperatives to instruct (e.g if it was a recipe) and text B uses imperatives to persuade (e.g an advertisement).

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by Rarar
Sure!

GOFFMAN - FACE THEORY
Positive face - the need to feel wanted or to make people feel wanted
Negative face - the need to not be imposed on; this is particularly stressed by British culture
Face-threatening act - an action/utterance that threatens the conversation and face

LEVINSON AND BROWN - POLITENESS THEORY
Bald on-record politeness - no attempt to save face; "I want a pen!"
Bald off-record politeness - no direct request but a hint instead; "I could sure use a pen right now..."

FAIRCLOUGH - CREATING AN IMAGE OF A TEXT
Power behind discourse - the beliefs that suburb influence or are behind a text
Power within discourse - the power relationship actually within the text itself
Ideology - individual or societal attitudes and beliefs
Implied reader - the expected reader of the text; this may be different to the actual reader
Synthetic Personalization - creating or suggesting a relationship with the audience, particularly through direct address

WAREING - TYPES OF POWER
Influential - the power to persuade and influence the audience
Instrumental - power to maintain or enforce authority
Social Group - power due to social factors eg. age and gender
Political - power of the politicians, government, police force and law
Personal - power due to a person's occupation or role

GILES - ACCOMMODATION THEORY
Downward Convergence - moving speech style away from RP
Upward Convergence - moving speech style towards RP
Mutual Convergence - both participants move their speech styles towards each other
Divergence - the participants' speech styles move away from each other

GRICE - COOPERATIVE PRINCIPLE
Maxim of Quality - be honest and only say what you know to be true
Maxim of Quantity - speak no more and no less than appropriate
Maxim of Relevance - what you say must be relevant to the ongoing context
Maxim of Manner - avoid ambiguity and obscurity
Implicature - when the maxims appear to be flouted but the speaker is actually operating on a deeper level
NOTE: only refer to Grice when the maxims are flouted - otherwise you are just stating the obvious

LAKOFF - POLITENESS PRINCIPLE
Don't impose - same as negative politness/face
Give options - don't force the other person into a corner
Make your receiver feel good - say things to flatter them and make them feel appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got taught Lakoff as a gender theorist?
And also, isn't positive and negative face Brown and Levinson? That's what we got taught

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rswk
I'm planning on doing a group per paragraph and about 3 groups each containing 3-4 texts, I'm not planning on linking the paragraphs in anyway, just 3 separate groups, is this method going to get me high marks or am I limiting myself here with this structure?

I don't see why this wouldn't work. Try and get a variety of groups e.g not all to do with graphology, but one from lexis, one from grammar and one from graphology.

Be perceptive too - so say "this may be used for..." and offer multiple reasons for the use if you can :smile:
Reply 72
How do I structure a categorising text question and whats the top four groups and what would I include in them? I'm panicking I've got it tomorrow and I don't know how to structure it or where to fit in differences and similarities . HELP !!!! Thankyou
Reply 73
Original post by saraw26
I don't see why this wouldn't work. Try and get a variety of groups e.g not all to do with graphology, but one from lexis, one from grammar and one from graphology.

Be perceptive too - so say "this may be used for..." and offer multiple reasons for the use if you can :smile:

How do I include sub groups within the paragraphs?
I know you shouldn't go into the exam with pre-planned groups but can anyone give any ideal groups that examiners would love to see?
Reply 75
Is it a good idea to group by audience purpose and mode? Also can you sub group within the group like for audience you could talk about how semantics like figurative language is directed at the audience or how grammar like clauses and phrases help achieves the texts purpose?
Reply 76
Original post by OhhNo
I got taught Lakoff as a gender theorist?
And also, isn't positive and negative face Brown and Levinson? That's what we got taught

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lakoff did a theory on Gender and also one on Politness. Brown and Levinson did Positive/Negative Politeness, which was an expansion upon Goffman's Face Theory so I just included it with Goffman. :smile:
Original post by Latoya
How do I structure a categorising text question and whats the top four groups and what would I include in them? I'm panicking I've got it tomorrow and I don't know how to structure it or where to fit in differences and similarities . HELP !!!! Thankyou

I have been told to do one group from GAP, one on mode/representation and then one on lexis/syntax/grammar etc :smile:)

i'm aiming for b/a :smile:
Reply 78
Is it a good idea to group by audience purpose and mode? Also can you sub group within the group like for audience you could talk about how semantics like figurative language is directed at the audience or how grammar like clauses and phrases help achieves the texts purpose?
Does anyone know where to get past papers other than the AQA website.

Quick Reply

Latest