Turn on thread page Beta

Wednesday 14th May exam: English Language AQA A level watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a example of a grade B language and gender essay? I want to look at some good examples of essays please thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baf1)
    Does anyone have a example of a grade B language and gender essay? I want to look at some good examples of essays please thank you.
    Type in 'miss dye english language and gender model' on You Tube

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any examples of A-B grade essays? I need to get a feel for how develop my analysis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazzling_Belinda)
    Type in 'miss dye english language and gender model' on You Tube<br>
    <br>
    <font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
    <br>
    Thank you I think I'm going to just do Language and gender what one are you doing power gender or technology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Can someone give me just a brief overview of the power theories please?
    Sure!

GOFFMAN - FACE THEORY
    Positive face - the need to feel wanted or to make people feel wanted
    Negative face - the need to not be imposed on; this is particularly stressed by British culture
    Face-threatening act - an action/utterance that threatens the conversation and face

LEVINSON AND BROWN - POLITENESS THEORY
    Bald on-record politeness - no attempt to save face; "I want a pen!"
    Bald off-record politeness - no direct request but a hint instead; "I could sure use a pen right now..."

FAIRCLOUGH - CREATING AN IMAGE OF A TEXT
    Power behind discourse - the beliefs that suburb influence or are behind a text
    Power within discourse - the power relationship actually within the text itself
    Ideology - individual or societal attitudes and beliefs
    Implied reader - the expected reader of the text; this may be different to the actual reader
    Synthetic Personalization - creating or suggesting a relationship with the audience, particularly through direct address

WAREING - TYPES OF POWER
    Influential - the power to persuade and influence the audience
    Instrumental - power to maintain or enforce authority
    Social Group - power due to social factors eg. age and gender
    Political - power of the politicians, government, police force and law
    Personal - power due to a person's occupation or role

GILES - ACCOMMODATION THEORY
    Downward Convergence - moving speech style away from RP
    Upward Convergence - moving speech style towards RP
    Mutual Convergence - both participants move their speech styles towards each other
    Divergence - the participants' speech styles move away from each other

GRICE - COOPERATIVE PRINCIPLE
    Maxim of Quality - be honest and only say what you know to be true
    Maxim of Quantity - speak no more and no less than appropriate
    Maxim of Relevance - what you say must be relevant to the ongoing context
    Maxim of Manner - avoid ambiguity and obscurity
    Implicature - when the maxims appear to be flouted but the speaker is actually operating on a deeper level
    NOTE: only refer to Grice when the maxims are flouted - otherwise you are just stating the obvious

LAKOFF - POLITENESS PRINCIPLE
    Don't impose - same as negative politness/face
    Give options - don't force the other person into a corner
    Make your receiver feel good - say things to flatter them and make them feel appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing technology??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazzling_Belinda)
    Is anyone doing the AQA AS english lang exam?? Any revision tips??

what are you finding easier to do? Language and gender or Power?

and how to group texts??
    Hey - I'm in A2 and took this exam last year and got an A. If you want any help, I'll be happy to help

I answered the Power question last year. My groups were pronouns, imperatives and 2 others which I can't remember

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to stress, we didn't cover technology so I can't do that even though it seems like it would be the easiest
    Luckily we've been taught CT all year (with a pause to do coursework) with one teacher, and the other teacher taught power and gender (plus coursework) so everything has been covered in depth, but I'm a worrier!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on doing a group per paragraph and about 3 groups each containing 3-4 texts, I'm not planning on linking the paragraphs in anyway, just 3 separate groups, is this method going to get me high marks or am I limiting myself here with this structure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dippers)
    I'm resitting this, and I don't really know what people mean when they say they use a subgroup. Like you have your overall group, do you then do another little group with the same texts or some of the same texts and another one that isn't in the main grouping?
    (Original post by corrgeorgia)
    You group some texts together say for the use of spoken discourse. But then you subgroup where some have spontaneous speech features e.g. fillers and the other pre planned
    Yeah, so if your group was imperatives you could then say text A uses imperatives to instruct (e.g if it was a recipe) and text B uses imperatives to persuade (e.g an advertisement).

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarar)
    Sure!

GOFFMAN - FACE THEORY
    Positive face - the need to feel wanted or to make people feel wanted
    Negative face - the need to not be imposed on; this is particularly stressed by British culture
    Face-threatening act - an action/utterance that threatens the conversation and face

LEVINSON AND BROWN - POLITENESS THEORY
    Bald on-record politeness - no attempt to save face; "I want a pen!"
    Bald off-record politeness - no direct request but a hint instead; "I could sure use a pen right now..."

FAIRCLOUGH - CREATING AN IMAGE OF A TEXT
    Power behind discourse - the beliefs that suburb influence or are behind a text
    Power within discourse - the power relationship actually within the text itself
    Ideology - individual or societal attitudes and beliefs
    Implied reader - the expected reader of the text; this may be different to the actual reader
    Synthetic Personalization - creating or suggesting a relationship with the audience, particularly through direct address

WAREING - TYPES OF POWER
    Influential - the power to persuade and influence the audience
    Instrumental - power to maintain or enforce authority
    Social Group - power due to social factors eg. age and gender
    Political - power of the politicians, government, police force and law
    Personal - power due to a person's occupation or role

GILES - ACCOMMODATION THEORY
    Downward Convergence - moving speech style away from RP
    Upward Convergence - moving speech style towards RP
    Mutual Convergence - both participants move their speech styles towards each other
    Divergence - the participants' speech styles move away from each other

GRICE - COOPERATIVE PRINCIPLE
    Maxim of Quality - be honest and only say what you know to be true
    Maxim of Quantity - speak no more and no less than appropriate
    Maxim of Relevance - what you say must be relevant to the ongoing context
    Maxim of Manner - avoid ambiguity and obscurity
    Implicature - when the maxims appear to be flouted but the speaker is actually operating on a deeper level
    NOTE: only refer to Grice when the maxims are flouted - otherwise you are just stating the obvious

LAKOFF - POLITENESS PRINCIPLE
    Don't impose - same as negative politness/face
    Give options - don't force the other person into a corner
    Make your receiver feel good - say things to flatter them and make them feel appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got taught Lakoff as a gender theorist?
    And also, isn't positive and negative face Brown and Levinson? That's what we got taught

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rswk)
    I'm planning on doing a group per paragraph and about 3 groups each containing 3-4 texts, I'm not planning on linking the paragraphs in anyway, just 3 separate groups, is this method going to get me high marks or am I limiting myself here with this structure?
    I don't see why this wouldn't work. Try and get a variety of groups e.g not all to do with graphology, but one from lexis, one from grammar and one from graphology.

Be perceptive too - so say "this may be used for..." and offer multiple reasons for the use if you can

ReputationRep:
    How do I structure a categorising text question and whats the top four groups and what would I include in them? I'm panicking I've got it tomorrow and I don't know how to structure it or where to fit in differences and similarities . HELP !!!! Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraw26)
    I don't see why this wouldn't work. Try and get a variety of groups e.g not all to do with graphology, but one from lexis, one from grammar and one from graphology.

Be perceptive too - so say "this may be used for..." and offer multiple reasons for the use if you can
    How do I include sub groups within the paragraphs?

ReputationRep:
    I know you shouldn't go into the exam with pre-planned groups but can anyone give any ideal groups that examiners would love to see?

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good idea to group by audience purpose and mode? Also can you sub group within the group like for audience you could talk about how semantics like figurative language is directed at the audience or how grammar like clauses and phrases help achieves the texts purpose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhhNo)
    I got taught Lakoff as a gender theorist?
    And also, isn't positive and negative face Brown and Levinson? That's what we got taught

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lakoff did a theory on Gender and also one on Politness. Brown and Levinson did Positive/Negative Politeness, which was an expansion upon Goffman's Face Theory so I just included it with Goffman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latoya)
    How do I structure a categorising text question and whats the top four groups and what would I include in them? I'm panicking I've got it tomorrow and I don't know how to structure it or where to fit in differences and similarities . HELP !!!! Thankyou
    I have been told to do one group from GAP, one on mode/representation and then one on lexis/syntax/grammar etc )

i'm aiming for b/a

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good idea to group by audience purpose and mode? Also can you sub group within the group like for audience you could talk about how semantics like figurative language is directed at the audience or how grammar like clauses and phrases help achieves the texts purpose?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where to get past papers other than the AQA website.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.