The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 2 May 16th

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hody421
Yeah - I am doing coasts.

About sustainability, I have ITCZ Wales as case study and Holderness (evidence of neglect)

Can this come up as 15 marker? I will literally walk out the exam hall if it came as 15 marker.

This question came up last year:
using example, explain how different strategies can be used to make coastal management more sustainable, 10 marks, 2)b)

So I don't think it would come up again but if you look at the examiners report for that question it should give you some ideas of how to answer if it did come up :smile:

examiners report: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202013%20-%20ER/6GE02_01_pef_20130815.pdf
Reply 61
Anyone have a good list of case studies for rebranding and crowded coasts? I don't know any case studies really other than my fieldwork ones lol
Guy's I'm a bit stuck :'(. How would you answer the 10 markers. How would you structure it?
And the 15 markers (Fieldwork and research) How would you answer those?

I'm doing extreme weather and rebranding btw. My teachers are so crap, honestly.
Original post by chatty
I'm doing the same. Going through case studies. Unit 1 was a complete disaster!

same here it went awful I need to pull my grade up, im doing that too but im literally learning off the spec as it cuts the crap. Also mark schemes, theyre helpful too
First paper went so bad I hope this ones nicer
so so so stressed for this. literally have no idea how to answer any of the questions, and the amount of case studies we've been given to learn is overwhelming. does anyone have a basic list of the bare minimum case studies you need to know for coasts and rebranding?
good luck to everyone, i might just draw pictures of unicorns in my paper and would probably get more marks
fml
Reply 66
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Guy's I'm a bit stuck :'(. How would you answer the 10 markers. How would you structure it?
And the 15 markers (Fieldwork and research) How would you answer those?

I'm doing extreme weather and rebranding btw. My teachers are so crap, honestly.

Um, I don't know how helpful this is but in terms of structure for 10 markers don't do an introduction or conclusion, but do briefly for 15 markers :smile: Also, my teacher said try and do about three paragraphs (so three different points) for 10 markers.

Also, for a fifteen marker in terms of structure my teacher gave us a plan saying first do intro talking about location, hypothesis, focus etc, then do paragraphs on fieldwork, then paragraphs on technology (like GIS), ten pararaphs on research, then a brief conclusion.
Reply 67
So how do you guys plan to revise for this?
Do you think going through past papers and mark schemes is the best way?
Original post by parsyyy
you only have 1 hour 15 for the whole exam...

Oh yep meant just less than 40 haha sorry :P
Reply 69
If i was to drop geography this year, would it affect my offer to universities? Say i got 3 As in other subjects, but a U in Geography, would Universities care if i failed geography fatally even thought I am not going to carry it on to A2 year? If so, then I would waste no time revising for ****ty Unit 2 exam and fail that too. THx
Fetch
Swell
Longshore drift
Cliff-foot processes
Abrasion
Hydraulic action
Corrosion
Weathering
Mass movement
Sub-aerial processes
Physical weathering
Biological weathering
Chemical weathering
Freeze thaw
Slumping

Could there be a question on natural processes? It's so difficult to know what type of question that will come up...
what do you reckon will come up on the coast and rebranding bit???:confused::frown::s-smilie:
Reply 72
for fieldwork and research i think results and conclusions for risk/management
:dontknow:
Original post by hajs
for fieldwork and research i think results and conclusions for risk/management
:dontknow:

I'm so confused on how to answer the 15 markers and what to say on my fieldwork and research :frown:
I'm presuming you're doing Extreme weather?
I think talking about fieldwork and research is fine, if you do past papers they literally recycle maybe the dame 4 questions all the time! I'm just slightly confused with the mark schemes and what to write if 'results and conclusions' come up
, any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jennaxeg
I think talking about fieldwork and research is fine, if you do past papers they literally recycle maybe the dame 4 questions all the time! I'm just slightly confused with the mark schemes and what to write if 'results and conclusions' come up
, any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I guess so.
For results and conclusions. You mention your fieldwork and research and whilst doing that you give the results that you found out and use statistics. Like for example: 76% of the people have agreed that the scheme worked and rebranding was a success. Etc. You can make up the figures also and just improvise. With conclusion you just basically state if rebranding (or whatever) was a success and go in depth a little more.
Reply 76
im doing re branding and coasts.
the way i will structure it is 3x fieldwork 3x research
1) What i did
2) How i did it
3) Why i did it
4) relate to the question.

BTW does anyone have any sustainable coasts case studies??? i cant find any!! :frown: i only studied black water estuary.. :eek:
Reply 77
You have to spend 1 minute per mark, basically.

Original post by troodon
Anyone have a good list of case studies for rebranding and crowded coasts? I don't know any case studies really other than my fieldwork ones lol

I said it before, but these are mines:
Coasts:
-Holderness (very erosive)
-Lulworth
-Benidorm (example of revitalising a coastal area, I'm sure you can get an example from the UK but this was easier for me lol)

Rebranding:
Urban:
-Liverpool (successful rebranding schemes)
-Detroit
-Valencia (this wouldn't be a good idea for you, I'm doing this one because it's my city and so it's easier to write about the failure of the rebranding schemes attemtped, which were quite a few)
With the Olympic Games:
-London and Sydney

Rural:
-Cornwall

I hope that is of any use for anyone.
if you're asked to 'evaluate your results,' do you still need to give exact figures for fieldwork and research? eg. could you say 'place a had a higher score in the eqa than place b'
Reply 79
Original post by krishthakrar
if you're asked to 'evaluate your results,' do you still need to give exact figures for fieldwork and research? eg. could you say 'place a had a higher score in the eqa than place b'

yes i guess it makes more sense to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending