Does anyone have b1 b2 b3 ocr 21st century exam tomorrow? Watch

romaiseb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Exima)
What was the advantages of using fetal cells and advantages of using cells from the mother's blood?
Advantages of fetal cell I said was that it is more accurate and reduces the chance of false positives/false negatives
Advantages of cells from mother's blood I put that it will not harm the fetus/lead to miscarriage as the fetus isn't being tested on directly.
Pandorax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys you know for the two questions on sex cells and genes? Does anyone know what the answers were? For the second one i said about the SRY gene and XX and XY, is that right? I can't remember what I put for the first one, does anybody know that? And also there was a a question where you had to find who was the fittest or something from the table, and show your workings? It was only about two marks but I'm still unsure if I got that correct, Also there was a question like why isn't it accurate to measure the pulse/ may not show fittest person? I said about age or something, but not sure if that's right. O.- Any advice?
Sulfur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pandorax)
Hey guys you know for the two questions on sex cells and genes? Does anyone know what the answers were? For the second one i said about the SRY gene and XX and XY, is that right? I can't remember what I put for the first one, does anybody know that? And also there was a a question where you had to find who was the fittest or something from the table, and show your workings? It was only about two marks but I'm still unsure if I got that correct, Also there was a question like why isn't it accurate to measure the pulse/ may not show fittest person? I said about age or something, but not sure if that's right. O.- Any advice?
For the first one, I put about prenatal tests where they test for the allele of the gene on the chromosome in the womb. For the second one, I spoke about the SRY gene releasing Androgen so the testes formed, and if this didn't then the ovaries would begin to develop.

For the heart questions, you had to show your working out, so it was basically a lot of dividing and you should've got Byron (68) as your answer. For the second part, I think that I wrote about other contributing factors and that you should compare the time for the pulse rate to return to normal.
jemilicious98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
Unlike geography, this was an amazing exam. Hope everyone did well (but nationally low so grade boundaries are low too haha).

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMDS I KNOW RIGHT?! what was that geography exam please :'( i guess i'm not getting an a*
Studygeek16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey is anyone doing the C1 C2 C3 exam on Thursday?
And if so, how are you revising for it?
BarneyMartin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the genetic testing I wrote about:
A) It may be more accurate because it is testing the genetics of the baby, directly.
B) Less chance of Infection
The extinction one I put 44000 because the rate was exponential
I'm pretty sure the cystic fibrosis one was 25%
I struggled with the antibiotic 6 marker
For the tick boxes about extinction I was unsure whether to tick about more species meaning more extinction or about the records being started. I went for the records but I'm not sure?
What did you guys get?
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone remember the answers to the first tick box (had to do three)?
readologist
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
im watching a few Youtube clips and going through my revision guide
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BarneyMartin)
For the genetic testing I wrote about:
A) It may be more accurate because it is testing the genetics of the baby, directly.
B) Less chance of Infection
The extinction one I put 44000 because the rate was exponential
I'm pretty sure the cystic fibrosis one was 25%
I struggled with the antibiotic 6 marker
For the tick boxes about extinction I was unsure whether to tick about more species meaning more extinction or about the records being started. I went for the records but I'm not sure?
What did you guys get?
I went for the book and record one because it sounded the most logical to me at the time when I was answering it
BarneyMartin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went for the book and record one because it sounded the most logical to me at the time when I was answering it
Yeah, same thought process as me. Can you remember any other questions?
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I ticked the records but I forgot what the other one was - I think I ticked the second box down from the top.
DDan123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought it went well, except the antibiotic six marker. I just couldn't think of many points to write. I think I may have gotten 3 marks on that, if I'm lucky. 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BarneyMartin)
Yeah, same thought process as me. Can you remember any other questions?
There was a question about detritivores which was pretty easy if you used the study guide for revision, there was a question about food chains with the fox and the rabbit, I said about how energy/carbon is lost at each stage of the food chain process, lost through excretion, respiration etc. Um, the carbon cycle, I picked the respiration one and another one which I forgot, I think photosynthesis. The start was about fetal cells, and I said about the miscarriage, wasn't sure about the adult one so I said it will be more accurate and reliable??, then there was that question about why some parents won't have abortion, I said about religion, un-natural, false pos, negs, could cause parents to split, risk of miscarriage etc.etc. For the conclusion question about bacteria I didn't really understand it, so I will probably only get two marks there. There was a question about estimating extinction, I went for 45,000, um...The question about heart and pulse rate, I said you measure someones pulse, um..I can't really remember much else? SRY gene, xx and xy was something to do with the gene cell thing, it talked about fair, reliability in one question...um..I can't really think of any more questions, most of the questions were pretty easy, some of them were hard like the 6 marker conclusion one, and a couple of (2) markers I found difficult, but overall it was good.
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There was a question about detritivores which was pretty easy if you used the study guide for revision, there was a question about food chains with the fox and the rabbit, I said about how energy/carbon is lost at each stage of the food chain process, lost through excretion, respiration etc. Um, the carbon cycle, I picked the respiration one and another one which I forgot, I think photosynthesis. The start was about fetal cells, and I said about the miscarriage, wasn't sure about the adult one so I said it will be more accurate and reliable??, then there was that question about why some parents won't have abortion, I said about religion, un-natural, false pos, negs, could cause parents to split, risk of miscarriage etc.etc. For the conclusion question about bacteria I didn't really understand it, so I will probably only get two marks there. There was a question about estimating extinction, I went for 45,000, um...The question about heart and pulse rate, I said you measure someones pulse, um..I can't really remember much else? SRY gene, xx and xy was something to do with the gene cell thing, it talked about fair, reliability in one question...um..I can't really think of any more questions, most of the questions were pretty easy, some of them were hard like the 6 marker conclusion one, and a couple of (2) markers I found difficult, but overall it was good.
Damn for the pulse one, I think I said that you can cover their heart and record the beats or put your fingers (2) above their neck and record the beats - think it'll be accepted? It was 1 or 2 marks I think.
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
Damn for the pulse one, I think I said that you can cover their heart and record the beats or put your fingers (2) above their neck and record the beats - think it'll be accepted? It was 1 or 2 marks I think.
Yupyup, pretty sure that's right, there are multiple ways for measuring,I just did pulse because I remembered it from my revision guide :P
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone remember the tick boxes for the heart question (3 marks) and the ones for the extinction question (2 marks)?
Pato1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have noticed they want answers to be a lot more detailed as shown with the paper today. They word questions too complicated
billyt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
Can anyone remember the tick boxes for the heart question (3 marks) and the ones for the extinction question (2 marks)?
For the three tick question, I got the second box and the bottom two. And for the two tick question, I think I did the second and last box but I can't remember tbh :/
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by billyt)
For the three tick question, I got the second box and the bottom two. And for the two tick question, I think I did the second and last box but I can't remember tbh :/
I can definitely remember ticking the second box and I think the bottom ones or one in the middle. Once again, think I got the same for the second one too!
monisj1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it just me that liked the antibiotic question?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads