I'm speechless... Watch

generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by doublex)
Mrmrmmphh.... I can see where you are coming from, but....

Do you think people pay that much attention to the crap that surrounds the video? No. Not me at least. I didn't even notice all that crap you were on about until you mentioned it.

I wouldn't have seen the video if it weren't for Ebaum's World, and I think it is a good thing to see. Not to "marvel" at someones misfortune, but to realise the consequences actions can have. The video provokes, sadness, empathy, and a sheer disbelief that someone could deliberatley cause this.

No doubt Ebaum's World are hosting this for selfish reasons, however I think the overall outcome isn't as negative as you make it out to be.
I assume you're already aware of the fact that eBaum's World are already in huge amounts of legal doodoo, so I won't bore you with the details (and if not there's another thread around about it), but I'm not complaining about the video itself (it is possibly the most sickening thing I've ever seen on the net, which is quite impressive in itself, but I do believe I should have seen it), but the setting for it. Arguably the biggest (and certainly, financially, the most successful) entertainment website in the world has put this up with ****ing flashing adverts and links to more "crazy entertainment" when what they're really dealing with was the biggest disaster the world has ever seen in my conscious lifetime and thousands of dead Americans, their families, their friends, and the millions, possibly even billions who had heard about it from TV, newspapers, the radio or just word of mouth literally hours after it happened.

The clip itself is shocking, saddening and very emotive. But I never objected to the clip. I object to this being allowed to go ahead for the sake of entertainment.
doublex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
I assume you're already aware of the fact that eBaum's World are already in huge amounts of legal doodoo, so I won't bore you with the details (and if not there's another thread around about it), but I'm not complaining about the video itself (it is possibly the most sickening thing I've ever seen on the net, which is quite impressive in itself, but I do believe I should have seen it), but the setting for it. Arguably the biggest (and certainly, financially, the most successful) entertainment website in the world has put this up with ****ing flashing adverts and links to more "crazy entertainment" when what they're really dealing with was the biggest disaster the world has ever seen in my conscious lifetime and thousands of dead Americans, their families, their friends, and the millions, possibly even billions who had heard about it from TV, newspapers, the radio or just word of mouth literally hours after it happened.

The clip itself is shocking, saddening and very emotive. But I never objected to the clip. I object to this being allowed to go ahead for the sake of entertainment.
If thats the way you see it, then fair enough.

But personally, I didn't pay any attention whatsoever to the site it was hosted on, I just watched the video. I'm trying to be lenient with ebaum on this occasion, and giving them the benefit of the doubt by presuming that this clip is a more serious break from their usual lighthearted junk.

With the internet in the state that it is, I've pretty much grown to not even see flashing bits of writing and adverts, I just skim over them without even acknowledging they're there.

As for eBaums legal ****, thats irrelevant.
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the biggest disaster the world has ever seen in my conscious lifetime
Erm, tsunami?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If thats the way you see it, then fair enough.

But personally, I didn't pay any attention whatsoever to the site it was hosted on, I just watched the video. I'm trying to be lenient with ebaum on this occasion, and giving them the benefit of the doubt by presuming that this clip is a more serious break from their usual lighthearted junk.

With the internet in the state that it is, I've pretty much grown to not even see flashing bits of writing and adverts, I just skim over them without even acknowledging they're there.

As for eBaums legal ****, thats irrelevant.
Course it is. But if that's the way I see it (and I'm not easily shocked), imagine how his family must feel. (Edit: and I wouldn't have noticed the flashing crap and adverts and so on if there was anything on the video apart from subtitles, the visual bit bored me so my eyes wandered a bit.)

(Original post by HearTheThunder)
Erm, tsunami?
Fine. Man-made disaster. People die in tsunamis, earthquakes, volcano eruptions a lot. Planes don't crash into incredibly tall and populated buildings much. Besides, I don't know about you, but the September 11th attack affected people I knew more than any tsunami.
doublex
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Course it is. But if that's the way I see it (and I'm not easily shocked), imagine how his family must feel.
Just because you are an anti-ebaumist does not mean his family are too.

Anyway. Time for sleep.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just because you are an anti-ebaumist does not mean his family are too.

Anyway. Time for sleep.
I'm not against them at all. I just think they should tread very carefully after this amount of legal trouble, and videos like that being around can't do anyone any good.

I can just imagine if that was my brother. Ebaum, ABS, Fark, whatever, it's inappropriate there. They're entertainment websites.
Kernel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Jesus...
vintagebadger
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im not normally a serious person but i cant belive they would put something like that onto a website frequented by children, not only that but never before have a seen a comic website being used to "spread the word" i agree with generalebriety that this kind of thing just plain shouldnt be posted on ebaums
doublex
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
... Profesh lost for words?
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
... Profesh lost for words?
Daragh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There was a documentary about that on a channel, I remember seeing it a few months ago, that was trying to discover who he was.

I think they came to the conclusion he was one of the staff at the restaurant.

Oh, hang on, it says that in the article.

Anyway, my point being, the documentary was difficult to watch as they went through so many possibilities of who that man could be, before they arrived at Jonathan Briley. The thought of how many people have died, and haven't been able to receive a proper burial is just horrifying.
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Falling Man looks paradoxically peaceful or something - like he's inanimate or just a wax dummy :\
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Falling Man looks paradoxically peaceful or something - like he's inanimate or just a wax dummy :\
I think that's the point. He'd rather plunge to his own death than be a part of that.
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think that's the point. He'd rather plunge to his own death than be a part of that.
Out of chosing smoke suffocation and falling about 100 floors, I think I'd go with the former :\ Guess it was the heat..
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Out of chosing smoke suffocation and falling about 100 floors, I think I'd go with the former :\ Guess it was the heat..
I'd jump.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pathetic.
Robob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Did a whole page just get deleted?

Edit: And Im assuming thats where you got your warning points profesh?
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Apparently there are those who do not take kindly to being occasioned to subject themselves voluntarily to graphic illustrations of the real and tragic consequences of human barbarity; so be it.

F**k you, philistine.
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For your sake, I'll pretend I didn't see the bit in white.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads