The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bismarck
For someone who looks up to Muhammed, you certainly violate your share of his rules. What ever happened to not worshipping idols by the way? Since when is one person, whether a prophet or not, more important than 6 million of God's creations? Not that it would surprise me if you don't believe the Holocaust ever happened.

It's clear that Iran is doing this to rile up the US and Israel. It doesn't care about the Holocaust and it wouldn't care if another one occurred. It's just doing it because it knows this will increase its support about the Muslims in the Middle East, and that says far more about those Muslims than about Iran.
I said look up to, not worship.

Yet you intentionally misrepresented it and will now get 5 warning points from yourself.
Reply 61
Howard
I've been a keen observer and participant of pub life for two decades, pulled my first pint at age 15, and used to own (50% share) a pub myself, so I have a pretty good feel for what's on the mind of the average "drinking man"

The average bigot is looking to kick off at muslims right now. Hence anybody with that kind of cartoons would get their heads kicked in. Hence my comment!
LeeC
Beekeeper, there is nothing wrong with Iranian people. They are friendly, polite and honest in my experience, and the experiences of many other Westerners. You would probably find them more resonable and logical people than the vast majority of Westerners (yourself included).

'Axis of evil'? Most visitors, after experiencing this friendliest of countries, couldn't agree less.

Haha yes perhaps, unless of course you are a woman, or a jew, or a homosexual - indeed, you would probably be safer in nazi Germany.

It is a twisted country, I don't need to meet a few Iranians to say that. You could have met 100 Iranians in your life and you'd still be no more qualified to make that judgement than me; theres so many. The only indicator we can turn to is their democratically elected Government, the religious rhetoric, their twisted legal system and the support for it, public opinion polls et al. What kind of countrymen would allow something like "crimes against chastity" to go unchallenged?
It really does speak volumes, and you're actually being remarkably ignorant in pretending that Iran is the 'friendlist' place in the world- totally blind to all the suffering and Government inflicted misery that goes on.

Iranian people are intelligent enough to realise that citizens of the UK and USA did not invade their surrounding area, and that we don't ourselves cause the problems that our countries ( in their view) cause Iran.

Er yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Its about time we started seeing that the majority of Iranians do not agree with their mad leader and his agressiveness.

If the majority didn't agree with their mad leaders then why the hell don't they use their democratic right and get rid of them? In fact why did the majority vote them in in the first place?

People in the West, it would seem, are NOT more practiced in reasoning and are NOT as open- minded as you like to think.

Really? If I walk around Sheffield, I will pass a Church, a mosque, I'll see muslims, Jews, Christian talking to one another, you'll see gay couples holding hands, women free to walk around in comfortable clothes meeting with friends (who are also allowed to be males), you'll see people of every nationality, every religion- to top it all off, people in the West have been shown to be the happiest people in the world.

If the people of Iran want to change how outsiders perceive them, then why don't they make a bold move and give their Government the boot or something? Perhaps a few big demonstrations? Because right now there is nothing, they are all binded by this mysterious code of silence that doesn't seem to require any kind of explanation...

Your above post is so hypocrtitical it makes me laugh, you say that we in the West are more reasonable and open- minded, maybe if you opend you mind a bit more Iran wouldn't seem as 'backward' as you think.

How much more do you want me to open my mind? I am honestly the most open-minded person in the world- but any rational person would take issue with cartoons like this.
With freedoms come responsibilities, this is about as irresponsible and as insensitive as you get- theres still the relatives of holocaust victims living today, how do you think they feel when they see this?
SolInvictus
6 Million jews, and another 6 million gypsies, slavs and other 'undesirables'

Ok sure thanks, i thought you were speaking about jews only :smile:

Thud
ffs - see "discussion" between Bismarck (you going to answer any time soon) and myself earlier in thread.

ffs - calm down, i simply made a mistake as shown above :p:
Reply 64
i personally think anybody should be allowed to make a cartoon like this and publish it. The right to do show should be legally protected, free speech all the way.

Of course, with freedom comes responisbility. People publishing cartoons like that should expect protest and alot of angry people. But at the end of the day i think people should the right to say ANYTHING.
*Makes Molotov Cocktails and heads for the Iranian Embassy* :biggrin:
There shouldn't be constraints on freedom of speech.
Say what you like.
Social pressures and a sense of decency should act as detterents. It is not the role of a legal system to intervene.
Reply 67
6 million my arse
krib!
6 million my arse

How does one go about 6 millioning your arse?
It sounds like you need it though...
Reply 69
krib!
6 million my arse

...?
Reply 70
Revisionists have been imprisoned. If the holocaust was 100% fact surely it would be possible to have an open debate as those with the truth have nothing to fear from debate.
:wink:
Reply 71
Thud
...?

He means 6 million people didnt die in the Holocaust. It could be well true.
Reply 72
Vienna
You seem to mis-understand what freedom of speech entails. It doesnt mean we cant be upset, offended and angry.

Stop being such an arsehole. :wink:
Reply 73
I wonder what the reaction would be if I put on an art display that suggested that the Iran-Iraq war was a big lie and the 900,000 dead Iranians was a merely overstated figure by the vociferous Iraqi community and that Saddam didn't gas about 100,000 of these with chemical weapons...
krib!
Revisionists have been imprisoned. If the holocaust was 100% fact surely it would be possible to have an open debate as those with the truth have nothing to fear from debate.
:wink:

I doubt a single historian (or person who is well-read about the events of WWII) would be afraid of discussion about the true number of deaths during the holocaust.
If the 6 million figure is widely accepted it is for a reason.
gaijin
I wonder what the reaction would be if I put on an art display that suggested that the Iran-Iraq war was a big lie and the 900,000 dead Iranians was a merely overstated figure by the vociferous Iraqi community and that Saddam didn't gas about 100,000 of these with chemical weapons...

I'd say go for it. You would just be ridiculed.
A bit like the Iranians.
Reply 76
Phonicsdude
I doubt a single historian (or person who is well-read about the events of WWII) would be afraid of discussion about the true number of deaths during the holocaust.
If the 6 million figure is widely accepted it is for a reason.

it appears everyone missed the "discussion" between me and Biz - the accepted figure is 12 MILLION.
Thud
it appears everyone missed the "discussion" between me and Biz - the accepted figure is 12 MILLION.

I was referring just to Jews but didn't make this clear. I believe 6 million Jewish deaths is correct..?!
Reply 78
Phonicsdude
I was referring just to Jews but didn't make this clear. I believe 6 million Jewish deaths is correct..?!

ya, but it seems silly to split the figures. Perhaps I should just say 3m whenever I talk about the holocaust?

sorry - this is a subject of great annoyance to me.
Thud
Perhaps I should just say 3m whenever I talk about the holocaust?

Ja! Good idea!
You do that. :smile:
Point taken.

Latest

Trending

Trending