Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just stole a lot of the things from college like tubs of acrylic paints, stanley knives, sketch pads, etc. so i got quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    My sketchbook is absoloutely awful- 3 sketches and about 20 photos!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *lloydy*)
    My sketchbook is absoloutely awful- 3 sketches and about 20 photos!
    Im thinking of doing less eek
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    heya - hows the course going for you guys? - the model making is taking longer than i expected!
    ----- matty: ---- lets just say that i am a loooooooooong way from home! :wink:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    heya - just thought i wuld keep the thread active

ReputationRep:
    hi, sorry for bringing up this thread, but i just want to ask some questions regarding the architecture courses at sheffield.

i want to do architecture and i noticed the MEng course, and i thought "hmm this looks good" then i saw the art requirement. i then thought "crap..."

even tho i'm doing Maths (Mechanics) and physics for A level, will they still reject me because i haven't done art?

I have seen the other architecture course though, the one with landscape, and would I get into that with my options? Also, one final one, what did you put in your portfolio when you went for your interview etc.

Many thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i didnt have to send in a portfolio.
    hmmm, i am doing the regualar architecture course, so i woudln't know of the one that yo uare doing, all i can say is that there are 108 of us in my coruse - miscalculation on part of the admissions dept! lol, there are about 30 in the engineer + architects course, then there are only 6 in the landscape, which is a landslide drop from last year. so i dont know whether ppl didn't like the course, or whether it just flopped last year
    nah, i don't think ur in a fix just coz u didn't do art coz i know ppl in my coruse who didn't do art, and they are still here!
    WS - :wink:

ReputationRep:
    This thread looks a bit dead - but just in case anyone still reads it, I'm thinking of doing architecture at Sheffield and it would be cool to hear your thoughts on the course so far.

Are the tutors helpful? Do you have time to get out of the studio? And are you enjoying it? Plus anything else that you think it would be useful for a prospective first year to know... Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamon)
    hey i'm going to be studying structural engineering and architecture, so no doubt we'll meet at some point. look forward to seeing you in september
    hiya, I applied for Architecture and structural engineering as well, but its a toss up between UCl and Sheffield right now:confused: ,
    did u get any info about the course because I'm not sure whet the course involves?
    maybe i'll see u there
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lol - its not that its dead - i keep visiting it but gave up coz the others don't come on anymore.
    But i will be happy to help you

i am doing architecture undergrad, well the course i pretty good so far, lots to do though and you have to be always aware of deadlines, be prepared to sarcrifice a lotta time coz its like doing art where you don't know what the time constraints are.
    As for tutors, yes they are helpful, i have about 4 in my studio and they circulate twice a week. I guess the dowside to it is that when a new tutor comes to see you you have to reexplain whats going on in your project, other than that, they are cool,
    the course right now is laden with work, i have about 2 exams - u have 2 in jan - and i have an ongoing project, portfolio review, assignment + a drawing workshop due. But all it is is just organising your time then you are good
    the course is very interesting lecture wise too as they go into fields which you thought wuldn't even relate at times like: philosophers, greek and other parts of history, visual perception, psychology. See! veery interesting

anything else you wanna know just PM me coz sometimes i don't check the sheffield dept!

WS

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice wackysparkle!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    no problem!

ReputationRep:
    I want to ask an architecture related question so I hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread :p:
    I'm almost certain I want to do the Landcape architecture course at sheffield and one of the requirements is a portfolio which should include "freehand observational drawings." Right, well I've bought a sketchpad and it 12 x 9 inches landscape (slightly bigger than A4) and wonder if it's big enough?? I didn't do art a level but I'm worried that the other art a level applicants will have a bigger (and more impressive)portfolios. Does size really matter?

Thanks. :cool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    sketchpad sizes should suit your requirements - there are no restrictions on that really. I work in an A4 and sometimes A1 myself - depends on the content of your work really.
    your compilation of work is the most important thing here, depending on the work, you should consider the size.
    How are you planning on taking your work? photographs of it or are you taking originals?

ReputationRep:
    ^ er well I plan on doing about 10 observational drawings; then 1 or 2 collages then a papier mache page. I'll take the portfolio with me by hand on the train as I live far away from sheffield. I don't know if they expect 3D work :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For 3D work, photographs are usually acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I mean if the landscape people actually expect you to have done 3D work for your portfolio or is just 2D work acceptable? Does papier mache counts as 3D (not free standing but a papier mache that you sculpt on the page so the page has a raised surface)? If you don't have any knowledge of landscape could you tell me about architecture requirements (since they're related)

Danke schon
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    before I comment - did you get specific requirements for the portfolio?

If you do 3D work, just photograph it.. one of the whole thing and a couple zoomed up? - and I would count papier mache as being 3D

For Architecture, I did a portfolio for Cambridge, UCL, oxford brookes - all of whom had different requirements, - For cambridge, I took photographs of all my A level work, some with zoomed in pix. For UCL, they had specifics, in that they wanted different media styles (e.g. 3D, free-hand drawing) as well as descriptions for each + a statement on why I wanted to do Architecture, for Oxford brookes, I just compiled my cambridge one onto a powerpoint and sent it off via CD.
    the important thing in a portfolio is that it should show variety - not only in 2D or 3D, but also in content.. different styles, media etc

ReputationRep:
    G'day! I'm doing Architecture at Sheffield in september (providing i get the grades that is ) Hope to see some of you there!
    Was anyone at the open day on feb 13th?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hello :hello:

I'm a second year at the moment, good to know that you're considering Sheffield

Hope to see you in Sep then!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... there is another thread I have started in the Architecture sub-forum on TSR where most questions have been answered

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 22, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.