They are good
    44.00%
    They are not good
    56.00%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jpowell)
    Oh please. Ad hominem attacks are so passe. I challenge you to find a "chummy thread of nothingness".
    I'm certainly not getting involved in this argument, but I must confess, I barely saw you around before you got modded, and I frequent the "main" forums (Chat, GD, H&R, D&D, About, and the school-based ones).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd seen you before the other day and that was in here.

(Original post by Alex Mann)
    I know I was suggesing alternatives earlier, but maybe it should be given a chance? If in a couple of weeks the forum has died and something has clearly been lost, well then you have another argument. You may not like what JPowell is doing, and I don't particularly agree with it, but it is just an internet forum so no need to be quite so aggressive.
    Wow! A voice of reason! Good on you (btw I moved your music thread, since you were saying you liked being told these things )
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I don't think I'd seen you before the other day and that was in here.
    We've spoken before. :confused:

Wow! A voice of reason! Good on you (btw I moved your music thread, since you were saying you liked being told these things )
    How completely and utterly not biased!

6-12.

ReputationRep:
    How is it biased? He said he didn't particularly agree with it, but was willing to see how it turned out. Whereas you've just criticised the decision and the person who's been implementing it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    How is it biased? He said he didn't particularly agree with it, but was willing to see how it turned out. Whereas you've just criticised the decision and the person who's been implementing it.
    The words "a voice of reason!" were what I was referring to. All I see it as is another excuse to fix something that's not broken - I could equally well call chewwy's post "a voice of reason!", but I'm sure you'd criticise me for that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm certainly not getting involved in this argument, but I must confess, I barely saw you around before you got modded, and I frequent the "main" forums (Chat, GD, H&R, D&D, About, and the school-based ones).
    Ditto, except I don't frequent the same forums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    I know I was suggesing alternatives earlier, but maybe it should be given a chance? If in a couple of weeks the forum has died and something has clearly been lost, well then you have another argument. You may not like what JPowell is doing, and I don't particularly agree with it, but it is just an internet forum so no need to be quite so aggressive.
    :rolleyes:

in a couple of weeks, the maths questions will begin rolling in again. the forum will seem fine. will jpowell be the one responsible fot this? no, of course not. it's because in a couple of weeks everyone will go back to school, and in a couple of weeks, people won't have just received their A-level results.

i'm not too worried about the long-term future of the forum, since i know that a moderator can do very little to affect it. i am simply annoyed to see the forum in the current state it is - butchered by an outsider.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by chewwy)
    :rolleyes:

in a couple of weeks, the maths questions will begin rolling in again. the forum will seem fine. will jpowell be the one responsible fot this? no, of course not. it's because in a couple of weeks everyone will go back to school, and in a couple of weeks, people won't have just received their A-level results.

i'm not too worried about the long-term future of the forum, since i know that a moderator can do very little to affect it. i am simply annoyed to see the forum in the current state it is - butchered by an outsider.
    Exactly.

It'd be like sticking all the "oh no I'm worried" threads in H&R into a big sticky "Worry" thread, all the "my friends are ********s" threads into a big "Friends" thread, all the "help I have a pencil stuck in my spine" threads into an "Injury" thread, you know, all the things that aren't really directly linked to health and relationships. (Of course, worry / ******** friends / injuries cause troubles in health and/or relationships, in the same way "what maths modules should I do?" is help for someone regarding an academic matter. Not an exams topic really, since a module isn't an exam, it's a syllabus.)

(Edit: typo.)

ReputationRep:
    Butchered? If moving threads that don't belong in there is butchering, then guilty as charged.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Now the coursework.info bot has replied to them all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Exactly.

It'd be like sticking all the "oh no I'm worried" threads in H&R into a big sticky "Worry" thread, all the "my friends are ********s" threads into a big "Friends" thread, all the "help I have a pencil stuck in my spine" threads into an "Injury" thread, you know, all the things that aren't really directly linked to health and relationships. (Or course, worry / ******** friends / injuries cause troubles in health and/or relationships, in the same way "what maths modules should I do?" is help for someone regarding an academic matter. Not an exams topic really, since a module isn't an exam, it's a syllabus.)
    I know that mods who frequent H&R more often than I do shut common threads and direct them to previous ones. Certainly I've been locking all these "what to take to uni" threads, many of which, yes, do have something slightly different about them, but not enough to warrant a new thread considering all those we already have on it.

And you'd like to merge all those for not being H&R linked, but you'd be wrong to do so. Probably one of the many reasons you weren't asked to mod that, or academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Now the coursework.info bot has replied to them all :rolleyes:
    I noticed that and couldn't help giggling

ReputationRep:
    Juno, several years (exaggeration) ago you sent me a private message saying something along the lines of "wow, you know mark". who the dickens is this mark you are referring to?

yes, i'm going off topic. naughty me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    And you'd like to merge all those for not being H&R linked, but you'd be wrong to do so. Probably one of the many reasons you weren't asked to mod that, or academic.
    Oh look, yet another insult, based on the "fact" that I think all those topics should be merged, when I actually said the exact opposite. Thank you, Acaila. (I assume I haven't been asked to mod anything because the mods and admins don't like me, which is probably because I challenge their silly little rules, like "asking for help about an academic subject doesn't always constitute academic help - in order for it to constitute academic help we need to be asked a question the person is stuck on... and by the way, we don't do homework help".)

ReputationRep:
    Slapped wrist.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by chewwy)
    Juno, several years (exaggeration) ago you sent me a private message saying something along the lines of "wow, you know mark". who the dickens is this mark you are referring to?

I can't remember that, so I shall deny it ever happened

ReputationRep:
    you'd like to merge all those for not being H&R linked
    i think you've misread the post.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh, one more thing I just remembered.

"Maths revision, coursework or discussion you will find help in here."

I'd count "which is easier, pure or stats?" as maths discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Oh look, yet another insult, based on the "fact" that I think all those topics should be merged, when I actually said the exact opposite. Thank you, Acaila. (I assume I haven't been asked to mod anything because the mods and admins don't like me, which is probably because I challenge their silly little rules, like "asking for help about an academic subject doesn't always constitute academic help - in order for it to constitute academic help we need to be asked a question the person is stuck on... and by the way, we don't do homework help".)
    I don't think the mods or admins noticed you until you started being objectional over About in the last few days.
    What did you mean then?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't think the mods or admins noticed you until you started being objectional over About in the last few days.
    Days? I have been on this forum two and a bit years, even if I only post more frequently in the last year.

What did you mean then?
    It'd be like sticking all the "oh no I'm worried" threads in H&R into a big sticky "Worry" thread, all the "my friends are ********s" threads into a big "Friends" thread, all the "help I have a pencil stuck in my spine" threads into an "Injury" thread, you know, all the things that aren't really directly linked to health and relationships. (Of course, worry / ******** friends / injuries cause troubles in health and/or relationships, in the same way "what maths modules should I do?" is help for someone regarding an academic matter. Not an exams topic really, since a module isn't an exam, it's a syllabus.)
    Try reading it again. I made a comparison between the type of modding that is being done in the academic forums and the type of modding that would look stupid and authoritarian in H&R, and pointed out how ridiculous it would be in H&R, and gave yet another reason for it being ridiculous in maths.

Also, don't forget my previous post.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.