Cambridge + bikes, the inevitable. Watch

Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A decent d-lock or any other chunky lock will be ok, just as long as bike is locked to something that WILL NOT move. If you have quick release anything, take it out and put a proper bolt through. The bike man on the market will also fix punctures etc for you. Get an old bike, from police, bike man, freeads etc, but lock it up, or it will walk as soon as you turn around.
Intelligentsia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
So you make it to Cambridge train station piled up with suitcases and pushing along your bike. Will a cab take you from the station to your college no fuss?
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I really can't see you being able to take all your suitcases AND a bike on the train. Well, getting them on in London would be a problem, as would even moving out of the station.

You might have a problem with the bike and cab drivers, so you could just lock it up outside the station and get it after you've dropped off your stuff. I can't see why taxi drivers wouldn't drop you off, although you'd need to speak to your college about exactly when they want you to arrive in terms of time so your room will be ready.
Intelligentsia
Rep:
?
Err... insurance. Endsleigh - the "natural" choice - have this whole "saddle off at night outside buildings" policy and is inconvenient but also impractical. Halford's seem decent but their policy doesn't detail anything specific which is strange. Any recommendations?
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found that it just wasn't worth it to insure my bike. I'm paying only £50 for teh year with Saxon and it would have cost another £50 to insure the bike; which is more than the cost of a new one, hence not worth it.
zed328
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can anyone tell me exactly where they got their bike in Cambridge and how much it cost please?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've found out that when I get one it'll be covered by our home insurance as long as it's locked to something outside. Woo!
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by zed328)
Can anyone tell me exactly where they got their bike in Cambridge and how much it cost please?
I didn't get mine in Cam, but from looking around it seems that prices and quality really do vary. You can get second hand good-quality bikes from about £80 upwards, and new mountain bike packages from Halfords for about teh same. Other than that I've hard of bikes going for as little as £20 or less from the Police auctions, and there's always the option of getting to know older students and buying bikes off them, especially if they graduate or whatever.
Intelligentsia
Rep:
?
Toysrus - £60 26" mountain bike. Last me a month so far. Don't know how much longer it can take my battering though.
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My bike was lifted... chained to itself with a snapped peddle arm.... be warned they will steal anything!
hopper4
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by zed328)
King's Road/Streets Bicycles offer £55 for each of the bikes they have in store. They are all second hand of course; there are some real bargains. I picked up a near-perfect, large framed road-bike for a mere £55 consequently! Try them.
ljlindley
Report 12 years ago
luckily i already have a bike that im bringing up.....no wicker basket tho! need 2 buy a bell.....any ideas where from? lol
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Halfords etc sell them for about £2. I ahve a ratehr high-pitched one that is quite loud and clear.
ljlindley
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FadeToBlackout)
Halfords etc sell them for about £2. I ahve a ratehr high-pitched one that is quite loud and clear.
bargain! thats what i like to hear when shopping....high quality goods for people with a low low budget lol
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got mine in Mike's Bikes on Mill Road, and it cost £100 (I think - certainly very close to that) which included a U-lock, lights and I got them to throw in a basket.
It's a mountain bike and what part of a special student deal, which I presume they'll be running again this year.

I also bought my helmet from there and it cost around £25-£30.

I found them quite helpful when buying it and also when I took it in for servicing after an unfortunate incident on King's Parade!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.38%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (157)