Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ^^which makes would you recommend, then (besides Apple)?
    How much does it cost to get that application that allows you to use Microsoft XP?

ReputationRep:
    Wait.. XP on a normal computer? It would probably come with it anyway...

Or are you talking about XP on a Mac?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionelmtb)
    Wait.. XP on a normal computer? It would probably come with it anyway...

Or are you talking about XP on a Mac?
    Yes, sorry I should have made that clear...am I right in saying you have to buy something and install it to have Microsoft XP on an Apple computer? That's the main reason why I hesitate to buy an Apple...can't get to grips with a different OS (and I have tried out Apple's version)

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, i can support that with pure facts, trust me, LOL!

BTW *Di* what will you be using it for?
    Thx for the comments so far.

I'll be using it only for basic stuff like word processing, Internet ...
    But I'm a very impatient person and like to do many applications at the same time, so I guess my laptop should not be the slowest and should have a rather good processor AND it should be quite ... isn't that the case with this sony processor ?

Which processors are "the best" btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    Yes, sorry I should have made that clear...am I right in saying you have to buy something and install it to have Microsoft XP on an Apple computer? That's the main reason why I hesitate to buy an Apple...can't get to grips with a different OS (and I have tried out Apple's version)
    Awsome, well here's the main info you need...

Bootcamp is used to let you install XP on ANY Mac with an intel processor.

At the moment its a Beta, which means free to use etc, its a test version

It does expire, when no one knows for sure.

When the next version of OS X comes out, it will have Bootcamp as a feature, this will be the final version, of course you will have to pay for this next version of OS X, it'll be around £80 - It wont be released until around spring.

So until around Spring Bootcamp is free to download and use, after this new OS X is released, the test version wont work, and you'll have to upgrade your OS version to get it, but it will be the complete version...

I hope this answered your question, if not lemmi know and i'll explain again

---

Di, alot of notebooks now come with Dual Core processors, that means they essentially have two brains, we all know the advantage of that!

The celeron would cope, but it can drag behind after a while, i'd recomend having a look around for some "Centrino Duo" "Core Duo" notebooks. Do post links so we can help you see which one bests works for you!

ReputationRep:
    I might as well list the laptop's i've owned i guess :/ In order of ownership..

Siemens Nixdorf, 50Mhz and 400mb HDD.
    That makes me cry IRL, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Was my first laptop, and its the fastest at starting up i've ever had, windows 95 in under 30 seconds! Gotta love the 800x600 10" screen too.

ReputationRep:
    Di, alot of notebooks now come with Dual Core processors, that means they essentially have two brains, we all know the advantage of that!

The celeron would cope, but it can drag behind after a while, i'd recomend having a look around for some "Centrino Duo" "Core Duo" notebooks. Do post links so we can help you see which one bests works for you!
    Ah thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm looking for a laptop with two brains now then

What about this one: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_.../version-1.asp

Is Asus a good brand for laptops?

ReputationRep:
    Asus is great, they actually make notebooks for Apple and Philips and several other companies.

That laptop looks pretty good, but i can't find any information on the graphics card so i'll just edit this reply as soon as i've found a more detailed spec of that.

Edit:

Here's a better description http://www.core-digital.co.uk/produc...ucts_id=671576

It looks pretty good for the price from what i can see there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your help!

It's got a good processor then?

Can you think of any disadvantages etc. it might haven? I mean it's quite cheap for a laptop with 1024 MB, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Well i would have thought the processor but after seeing this, it's definetly capable.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...904&cid=2&pg=6

I'd so go for it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 22, 2006
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.