Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RudyOA)
    For any existing kcl students who can spare a minute

Please answer as if you were in the middle of first year.

1) How often do you go on nights out to bars or clubs in London per week?
    2) What areas of London do you go on nights out most?
    3) How many times would you revisit the same club or bar in a month?
    4) Are you more likely to avoid a club with a long que? Yes/No
    5) How much do you spend on alcohol on an average night out - excluding pre drinks
    6) How many friends do you go out with on average?
    7) Do drink deals and prices help determine the bars and clubs you visit?
    8) Do entry prices help determine the bars and clubs you go to?

Really appreciate any help

From a KCL Undergrad who has just finished first year:

1) On average I would say my friendship group went out to clubs 3 nights a week. Obviously more early in year vs. less before exams. Pubbing was a lot more common, but just a casual drink etc as opposed to getting binned.

2) As we're at King's in my experience most people primarily go out in central e.g. Walkabout (on the Strand), Heaven (Embankment), The Roxy (Oxford Street) Sway (Kingsway), Ministry of Sound/Coronot/Corsica Studios (Elephant & Castle) & Fabric (Farringdon) to name a few but obviously depends on your own social circle. We branched out a fair bit to likes of Shoreditch and Dalston; painfully 'edgy' but good fun all the same.

3) Used to go to Walkabout or Guys Bar pretty much every wednesday on sports night and used to frequent Heaven most Mondays (cannot recommend enough.. seriously) but other than that we tried to not re-visit same clubs as it gets a bit repetitive and there is really no excuse in London not to find new places. Used to go to Lord Nelson pub (down road from Moonraker and SSA halls) ALOT.

4) No - In my experience long queues (unsurprisingly) correlates to popular/rammed clubs. Either we would try and avoid long queues by getting there a bit earlier than usual (which can sometimes get you cheaper entry) or just bite the bullet and wait it out. Pre-drinking is essential as a London student so waiting around in queues usually goes pretty quick tbh.. no fun being stuck in a long queue sober!

5) Differs any given night out and depends on clubs drink prices which in London can be reasonable (not cheap!) to high. So subjective as to what sort of person you are/what clubs you like/how heavy a drinker you are! I have spent as little as £10 to as high as circa £70. Advice: take cash out rather than your card. Trust.

6) Again completely depends on the night out. On certain/popular nights e.g. Wednesday most people from Halls would be heading out so we would have a big pre's etc like 10-30 people. On 'ordinary' nights out I went out with anywhere from about 3-15 people.

7) Yup - good value drinks in London are highly sought after which pretty much explains popularity of Walkabout and Guys Bar on Wednesdays. Mediocre/sticky-floor club + cheap drinks = great night. Proven equation.

8) Yes, yes and yes. Personally, I refused to pay more than £10 entry anywhere (minus special events i.e. Balls, some of freshers events and occasional expensive nights e.g. Fabric, Mayfair etc). Best student nights I have been to usually have cheapest entry because more students will flock to them - especially in London. Also Lots of London uni girls (can't blame them) will go to Mayfair clubs as they'll get free entry and drinks there when dressed up. It's a weird and sleazy atmosphere in my opinion as the clubs are essentially using high female admittance to draw in richer men - that sort of clubs cashcow - but each to their own I suppose..

I should probably note that London nightlife (pardon the cliche) is really what you make of it. You're not spoonfed clubnights like lots of campus or (even other city) uni's. You have to find what you're into. Any other questions feel free to fire my way!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that if I put KCL as my insurance and get one grade less than what they want they'll still let me in? This is for physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrisSBaader)
    Do you think that if I put KCL as my insurance and get one grade less than what they want they'll still let me in? This is for physics.
    No one can give you an definitive answer to this unfortunately.

Sure, plenty of people miss there offers by a grade (or more) and are still admitted to King's, or any other uni (bar maybe Oxbridge) for that matter. But this depends on so many external factors e.g. popularity of the course, competitiveness of that particular year group, how many other people miss there grades etc etc. As a King's student myself, I must say I haven't met all that many people who have missed offers widely and were still admitted or indeed that had King's down as their insurance seeing as the grade requirements are usually high-ish.

I apologise that this answer was suitable vague but my advice is to try and not play 'admissions games'/over-think things - it doesn't help in my experience. Try to focus on getting the grades for your firm, then you won't have to worry about your insurances leniency aha.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I got in this year with A*AB on a course that was asking for AAA, so technically yes. (I did take a foundation diploma in my gap year which is the same ucas points as two more A levels) BUT it goes to show that King's do have a degree of flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyjabo)
    I got in this year with A*AB on a course that was asking for AAA, so technically yes. (I did take a foundation diploma in my gap year which is the same ucas points as two more A levels) BUT it goes to show that King's do have a degree of flexibility.
    I wouldn't say thats much flexibility considering AAA=A*AB in ucas points. Guessing the OP is assuming one grade lower without another subject to compensate.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's not particularly flexible, but it does show that if your hearts set on King's there are ways of bumping up grades. I really enjoyed my diploma! Studied art and design for a year and I'm going on to do philosophy, so it didn't even have to be a particularly academic course.

Good luck whatever happens!

ReputationRep:
    Getting into KCL is very possible, I got accepted for law and was awarded the Dickson Poon scholarship, I had AAAC at AS Level (the C was in full A- Level maths, for some stupid reason I did it all in a year). Just remember your grades aren't the only thing that matter , you need to have a good personal statement, and if you're applying for law, a decent LNAT score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bilalk96)
    Getting into KCL is very possible, I got accepted for law and was awarded the Dickson Poon scholarship, I had AAAC at AS Level (the C was in full A- Level maths, for some stupid reason I did it all in a year). Just remember your grades aren't the only thing that matter , you need to have a good personal statement, and if you're applying for law, a decent LNAT score.
    Lucky knob'ed. Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    Lucky knob'ed. Well done
    Cheers, I firmed LSE anyway hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with all those "prestigious" posts. I got A*BB and needed AAA to get in for computer science. Although that's because the A* was in maths so your situation might be different/similar. Oh it was also through clearing. but then king's might not be that prestigious for comp sci

ReputationRep:
    I just got rejected this last week for Political Economy at KLC. Do you guys think I should contact the admissions team to see if there are any vacancies for this course since I met all the requirements needed and my personal statement was actually really good or what should I do?? Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I'm the exact same! My predicted grades are A*AB but I'm not sure if I have a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle333)
    I also have firmed kings and am worried I may have a more likely chance of getting A* AB than the required AAA
    However I did ask the admissions woman when I went to kings on the offer holders day and she said last year a few AAB were excepted and so was a few A*AB she said it's different every year but with A*AB I can be confident but not certain

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi I'm in this exact situation at the moment ...how did you get on with your offer to kings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuilleJay)
    Hey! I wanted to ask about my chances of getting into KCL for business management! I already submitted my application! My AS Level grades were AAAB and I have already done a whole A Level, gaining A*. My predicted grades were A*A*AAB. At IGCSEs I achieved 4A*, 3A and 4Bs. My reference was quite good and I really worked extremely hard on my personal statement, doing many online courses, working experiences at various business departments and putting a lot of enthusiasm into it! Could someone tell me my chances? I have heard it is extremely competitive and almost impossible...
    Thank you so much!
    What are the requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichelBraga)
    After Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, St Andrews, Durham and maybe Warwick, KCL does a good job, it's not the crème de la crème, but it's surely a great uni.
    Quite a subjective list, but in international rankings King's consistently comes 6/8 in the UK and 4th in London. Many more Nobel prizes than St Andrew's. Durham, etc and research departments that come top for Law etc in the RAE. For a range of subjects including History, Philosophy, Mental Health, Dentistry, Law, it's in the first rank, no question.

ReputationRep:
    They increased by predicted B grade to an A today. Requirements are A*AA and one has to be a social science.

ReputationRep:
    Im more than sure that you should get an offer! But don't sit there refreshing your screen, I remember a few years back I got 4 of my offers in march, so could be a long time to go still!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light&Dark)
    i got into kings for math with a cert HE from birkbeck
    I should hope so too - the Birkbeck Cert HE is well regarded (or certainly used to be).

ReputationRep:
    I mean I got into English, which has an AAA requirement, with ABB soooooo Just keep your head up, it's definitely possible, we're a prestigious university but your application will be fully considered

ReputationRep:
    I did A levels for three years failed, did the foundation year for Computer Network Security with Bsc at the University Of Westminster, achieved 78.25% and got into Kings College for Computer Science with Robotics Bsc through clearing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.