Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriends parents are racist. What can I do. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    Sadly that is extremely common ... as an Asian person I can honestly say that you have to try not to take it personally. It isn't the inherent fact of the colour of your skin but the cultural difference and perceived judgement from extended family members that is the wider issue here. A lot of Asian families feel that their culture and beliefs will be lost if a person marries outside their race - family values, raising children, language, family dynamic, views on education, cohabitation etc etc

I think you have to just keep at it. Hold your own, be respectful and be the bigger person. Don't argue with them or give them more reason to resent you. Be the lovely person that you probably are and learn about their culture. Maybe when you visit them discuss things you have in common with them ... cricket, bollywood movies, their home, country food. Finding common ground can help Don't let it break you, because by doing that you're accepting that they're right ...

Good luck!!
    Rubbish, most Asians are racist, full stop. You are a racist too, since you're defending such intolerance. Let's not sugarcoat anything here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    I don't condone violence, but an asian culture using physical means to get something is the only way forward in demanding respect. If this guy really loves his gf he will physically get it into his parents head.
    Looool what am I reading

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Looool what am I reading

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its normal in asian cultures to have falling outs over this kinda stuff especially in western culture. If my parents offended me, i would physically intervene.

ReputationRep:
    Its normal in asian cultures to have falling outs over this kinda stuff especially in western culture. If my parents offended me, i would physically intervene.
    Its not, but ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol don't you fear getting chucked out or otherwise punished?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Its not, but ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What gives anyone the right to make a decision who you end up with? Some people need to be put in their place, respect has to be taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstraction)
    Lol don't you fear getting chucked out or otherwise punished?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I position myself as being worth more, as im a male heir, they need me more then I need them. Reasonably successful, i will carry on the family line. Chucked out and punish,lol, im not a child, what can they do ban me from pocket money. When your making a very decent wage, there are very few rules they can put on you. Of course I try to be respectful, but at the end of the day "im the decision maker". Who wants to live in a world where other people make your personal choices for you.

ReputationRep:
    I position myself as being worth more, as im a male heir, they need me more then I need them. Reasonably successful, i will carry on the family line. Chucked out and punish,lol, im not a child, what can they do ban me from pocket money. When your making a very decent wage, there are very few rules they can put on you. Of course I try to be respectful, but at the end of the day "im the decision maker". Who wants to live in a world where other people make your personal choices for you.
    You have a good philosophy haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownsugar-xx)
    I swear to god Asians have some weird attitudes towards Black people.

Your boyfriend's gonna have to choose between you and his parents because when parents are as stubborn as that they're hardly gonna change until they realise they'll loose their son. If your boyfriend picks you and moves out i'm sure his parents will eventually come around.
    Haha. Basically this is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indian boyfriend)
    why should I have to find a black boy? Can't I be happy with another race
    This is one of many reasons why we should stick with our own kind.

Find a nice black boy.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.