Hilda's Girls 2006! Watch

Lady Narcissus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey, don't worry the boys are going to totally love Hildas!!! P.S apparently the floorball team trains just cross the road on Mondays, and that is a mixed sport
Quistis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ktroo85)
I've had a look on the intranet and they don't have domestic committee minutes just IT, Garden and Library. I'm sure they aren't removing ovens this term as this was the first I'd heard of it and I'm sure they would tell us before we all return with lots of cooking implements (as i intend to do)
Righto, thanks. I'll get in touch with the person who told me that ovens are being removed and see if she can give me more details.

Are you a 3rd year? Or are you a 2nd year lucky enough to be living in college again this year?
ktroo85
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No I'm a second year, but I was lucky enough to get college accomodation in one of the Iffley Road houses. The only downside is I will have to carry all my laundry back to college to get it done, but otherwise i'm thrilled to be in college acomodation and really hoping for an oven as I love to cook and a year in garden drove me mad.
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love cooking too, and am delighted that my flat has an oven! And my housemate and I actually picked the flat because it was the only one we saw with its own washing machine and tumble dryer , but I've just realised I'm going to miss the laundry under the CBB...

As for the ovens, I checked, and apparently they're going to be gradually phased out over the course of this year, so yes, everybody bring cooking stuff!
Georgiana
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Quistis)
Do you mind me asking what letter your surname begins with, just out of interest? Though the composition of each year will vary, surname-wise, so it's difficult to predict which building you'll be in.
It's at the very end, bar one letter
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Right, so it is a fair bet you'll be in South then :p:
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I hate cooking. What is the food like at Hildas?
ktroo85
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the food is so good, lots of choice, very cheap and very edible. The cooking is only necessary because at the weekend the only meal you get is saturday brunch.
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh cool, and I think I'll need to buy a meal card? Are there cooking facilities in the hall building?
sophal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there are kitchens in hall, with at least an oven and hob (maybe a microwave?). all buildings have kitchens (some with very basic equipment, e.g. garden), cos hildas did not provide meals on saturday and sunday (except saturday brunch).
LatinMachine
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Wolfson is pretty?? I'm sure that's the one I stayed in at my interview :confused: But I can't remember if it was that or Garden now. Erp. I went to Ikea yesterday and bought some crockery, and this amazing jug for the microwave, with a lid that doubles up as a sort of extra, yet small, plate, which was only 99p. I'm a little bit too excited about that jug - doubtless I'll be showing it to all of you
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bear in mind, Jen, that my definition of "pretty" is doubtless influenced by a year living in Garden :p: I did a Google image search for "wolfson st hilda's" and found some passable pictures of the place, enough to differentiate it from Garden (which Google also has a picture of, if you poke it hard enough).
Georgiana
Report 12 years ago
Right, so it is a fair bet you'll be in South then :p:
I've just received my accomodation letter, confirming it!

(Original post by ktroo85)
the food is so good, lots of choice, very cheap and very edible. The cooking is only necessary because at the weekend the only meal you get is saturday brunch.
I second that! I was really impressed with the meals at the interview, not to mention a rather decadent cheesecake, which made a few welcomed appearances.

(Original post by LauraWalker)
oh cool, and I think I'll need to buy a meal card? Are there cooking facilities in the hall building?
Wow, you're so lucky to be living in Hall! I stayed there for the interviews, and it was absolutely lovely. There were two huge windows in my room, one overlooking the river. From the few glimps I saw of the kitchen, they looked fairly well-equipt. Although, I do remember there not being a shower, only a bath on the first floor. (Correct me if I'm wrong) With a rather heavy-looking jug to utilise whilst trying to wash hair. :p:
LatinMachine
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Ohhhh - it was *Garden* I stayed in at my interview! The uber-ugly concrete thingy. Oooh, that means I don't know what my room looks like now! Are they similar, do you know?
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In terms of size, mostly, yes; in terms of style, Garden rooms look a little more, well, like the inside of a concrete block, while Wolfson rooms IMHO are prettier, as befits their pretty exterior. Also, Garden's corridors form a square of rooms around an interior core of bathrooms, kitchens and the mysterious door marked "HMC - Stay Out", while Wolfson's are just along a linear corridor.
Feefifofum
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In terms of size, mostly, yes; in terms of style, Garden rooms look a little more, well, like the inside of a concrete block, while Wolfson rooms IMHO are prettier, as befits their pretty exterior. Also, Garden's corridors form a square of rooms around an interior core of bathrooms, kitchens and the mysterious door marked "HMC - Stay Out", while Wolfson's are just along a linear corridor.
That was the scouts' cupboard. We got inside once. :ninja:
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Feefifofum)
That was the scouts' cupboard. We got inside once. :ninja:
OMG TELL TELL!!! WHAT'S IN THERE AND WHY IS IT SO SECRET?

Because, seriously. Once, someone (presumably a scout) left the door on our floor open, and I peeked inside, but all I could see was a limitless sea of black; I didn't dare step inside, lest I fall off the edge of the Earth. My personal theory was that the "HMC" stood for Headmasters' (and Mistresses') Conference, and that it was a secret meeting room where plots were hatched to get as many public school kids into Oxford as possible... :p:
Queen_A
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
HAHA..I was laughing so much at that ^^

(Original post by LauraWalker)
hey, don't worry the boys are going to totally love Hildas!!! P.S apparently the floorball team trains just cross the road on Mondays, and that is a mixed sport
I had never in heard of that sport before Wiki-ing it a few ticks ago.^o)
After a quick read through of the rules, it seems like hockey. How hard is it to get to grips with? The name is terrible ("floorball" pretty much describes every sport under the sun :p: ) but it sounds like fun .

I *still* don't have my Fresher's Pack :mad:. I e-mailed them on Monday, but I've heard nothing...does anyone have any suggestions?
Feefifofum
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OMG TELL TELL!!! WHAT'S IN THERE AND WHY IS IT SO SECRET?

Because, seriously. Once, someone (presumably a scout) left the door on our floor open, and I peeked inside, but all I could see was a limitless sea of black; I didn't dare step inside, lest I fall off the edge of the Earth. My personal theory was that the "HMC" stood for Headmasters' (and Mistresses') Conference, and that it was a secret meeting room where plots were hatched to get as many public school kids into Oxford as possible... :p:
Close, but no cigar.

Actually, I think it'd be more fun for me not to tell you. It'll keep an air of mystery about it, at least.
ktroo85
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How did I miss the opening of the cupboard? At least i managed to solve one Garden mystery and discover why the toilet had incinerator written on the door.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (48)
29.45%
No - I got the required grades (95)
58.28%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (20)
12.27%

Watched Threads