Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What percentage of blame, if at all any, rests with the victim during rape? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    You're right but that isn't what he is saying.

Some men are rapists. They enjoy rape and they will do it because they want to and they can. This is a fact. There is nothing, that you, or I, or David Cameron can do to change this. So knowing this fact, that is as true as the fact fire will burn you, are you going to modify your behaviour to take this into account?
    But of, as you say, they will always do it regardless, then you can't mitigate against that can you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)
    If you give people the opportunity to steal, would the steal?
    If you give people the opportunity to rape, would they rape?

My position is not a comparison between rape and theft, rather, it is what can be done to prevent the crimes in the first instance.
    And the answer to both of those is, for the overwhelming majority of people, no. As for the others, they will find a way to do it regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    But of, as you say, they will always do it regardless, then you can't mitigate against that can you?
    No, but you can take precautions.

A shark will try to eat you regardless, but make sure your friends keep a look out when you go swimming

ReputationRep:
    I dont hate her because she wants the same thing but women have to realise that not raping people is actually pretty ****ing easy. I have an unbroken streak of no-rapes spanning nearly 20 years, and in fact I literally don't rape people in my sleep
    I just don't understand how someone feels able to come out with this boring feminist rhetoric that just falls short of calling all men rapists.

And I know this will cause outrage, but if I leave my wallet in full view in my car, would you blame me if my window got smashed? I would.

I liked your first post in which you pointed out that we shouldn't blame the victim, but failing to accept that there are bad people in the world is naive in the extreme.

The vast majority of men know fine well not to rape, just as the vast majority of humans know not to steal, murder, or commit other crimes. These crimes still happen and there is nothing wrong with telling people how they might stop themselves being victim to them. Why is rape an exception?

ReputationRep:
    It shows the overrepresentation of non-Swedes committing rapes
    Ok.

And as I said before, if it was a Muslim problem then you would expect to see similar rates in both countries.

ReputationRep:
    No, but you can take precautions.

A shark will try to eat you regardless, but make sure your friends keep a look out when you go swimming
    Looking out won't do ****, sorry to break it to you.

ReputationRep:
    are people stupid? The vast majority of rape does not occur in dark, desolate alleyways. That's a complete myth. Rape is typically committed by a person the victim knows and a rapist will rape regardless of your outfit. Victims get absolutely no blame in this instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Ok.

And as I said before, if it was a Muslim problem then you would expect to see similar rates in both countries.
    Not necessarily. Muslims in Sweden and Britain largely come from different parts of the world. We have different laws and a different culture as we are two different countries. Way to simplify

Maybe Muslims was unfair, but immigrants are hugely overrepresented in rape stats in Sweden. I know this isn't what the left likes to think but its true

ReputationRep:

Rapists are not a demographic group like whites or gays or Muslims or people from Sheffield. They are defined by their behaviour and as such there is a 100% chance that if you allow a rapist to rape you, you will be raped.

If someone sat under a tree, knowing full well that there was a hornets nest above, who would be to blame for them getting stung? The hornets or the person?
    Except that you do not allow Rapists to rape you. Rape is performed in the absence of consent.

A Rapist is not a hornet. Hence, making it an irrelevant comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Looking out won't do ****, sorry to break it to you.
    It does if they spot a fin and yell get out of the water, and it was just an analogy

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. Muslims in Sweden and Britain largely come from different parts of the world. They have different laws and a different culture.

Maybe Muslims was unfair, but immigrants are hugely overrepresented in rape stats in Sweden. I know this isn't what the left likes to think but its true
    Immigrants are over-represented in everything. That is what happens when you stop reproducing and have droves of poor people to come to work in **** holes.

ReputationRep:
    Except that you do not allow Rapists to rape you. Rape is performed in the absence of consent.

X is not Y therefore the two are an irrelevant comparison.

Guess what genius? usually you compare two different things.

You are trying to appear smarter than you are

ReputationRep:
    Immigrants are over-represented in everything. That is what happens when you stop reproducing and have droves of poor people to come to work in **** holes.
    Classic lefty 'comeback'. So because you are poor, you commit rape more?

ReputationRep:
    X is not Y therefore the two are an irrelevant comparison.

Guess what genius? usually you compare two different things.

You are trying to appear smarter than you are
    Right, it is an irrelevant comparison.

They share no similar characteristics except both are alive. A hornet acts in self defence. A rapist does not. I really do not need to go on about what a stupid comparison it is.

ReputationRep:

Do you make a habit of allowing hornets to sting you?

ReputationRep:
    Classic lefty 'comeback'. So because you are poor, you commit rape more?
    Not poor. If you are an immigrant from a third world area.

I thought that was your argument anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Right, it is an irrelevant comparison.

They share no similar characteristics except both are alive. A hornet acts in self defence. A rapist does not. I really do not need to go on about what a stupid comparison it is.
    No, I was comparing the fact that both have such predictable behaviour. Hornets also have six legs while rapist have two if you are going to attack irrelevant details

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Do you make a habit of allowing hornets to sting you?
    Ok. So what is the point.

ReputationRep:
    It does if they spot a fin and yell get out of the water, and it was just an analogy
    Except sharks, especially tiger, bull and great whites (these are the three that bite people most often) have evolved for literally millions of years to stealthily attack prey on the surface (turtles in the case of tiger and bulls, seals amd other marine mammals in the case of great whites) from below without being detected. If its faffing about on the surface it sure as hell isn't about to bite you.

It was a terrible analogy.

A better one would be that you could wear chainmail while surfing to protect from shark attack.

I'm sure it'll catch on.

ReputationRep:
    Not poor. If you are an immigrant from a third world area.

I thought that was your argument anyway.
    Yes. So it is a cultural thing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.