Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whose to blame for British obesity? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazel.red.leaf)
    As someone who came to the UK less than a year ago, I can totally agree with this. Never had I suspected that there were so many types of Pringles, other crisps brands (I don't eat crisps, so I'm not quite sure about names, but they are a lot! ), ready pasta/meal sauces, microwaveable rice, ready meals, cans etc. And most of the fresh food - veg, fruit, meat - is much more expensive, how would anyone be encouraged to cook when it will cost them more money and time?

I've also noticed (though this might be student culture rather than British culture) that if you try to be healthy, you get mocked. If you don't like Domino's, you're a sinner, and if you like salad, you're definitely mental. I can't understand why but it's baad!
    It really doesn't cost that much to eat healthily, you can get meat combination offers at supermarkets, pasta is cheap, rice is cheap as are potatoes in bulk. You can get tinned or frozen veg, both of which are very cheap. No excuses tubby!

I've never had Domino's I don't think or Nando's, I still sleep well at night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    It really doesn't cost that much to eat healthily, you can get meat combination offers at supermarkets, pasta is cheap, rice is cheap as are potatoes in bulk. You can get tinned or frozen veg, both of which are very cheap. No excuses tubby!

I've never had Domino's I don't think or Nando's, I still sleep well at night
    That's exactly what I've been doing But I still get offended when someone says I'm a horrible person because I enjoy eating salad and I hate crisps

I'm hardly fat (to be read as: skinny) and not British at all, btw, so don't blame it on me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    See comments above in bold.
    1. This isnt' the olden days. I do more than 99% of girls in the UK so thats good enough. I also do plenty of housework, I don't just sit around.

2. Which is why I drink water and brush after eating fruit. Also, fruit isnt bad, its a natural food that is readily available for humans to eat. It is full of vitamins and minerals which are essential so I will continue to eat them. Also, broccoli lacks the amount of energy fruit has, when I eat breakfast I want to feel awake. I also need a lot of calories and broccoli has so little, fruit has plenty for example a banana= 100 calories.

3. Raisins that I buy don't have preservatives. I read the label which says 100% raisins.

4. Its not hard for me to digest. There is gluten free food. I eat rice a lot.

5. I eat meat 1x a day. Its not good to have it more than that, our ancestors definitely didn't. Yes it has protein but so do other foods. I definitely get enough protein due to large quantities of food. Also chicken has hormones, fat etc.

6. I eat a salad 1x a day with tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce. I literally eat 10+ of my '5' a day, I'm sure I get plenty of vitamins.

ReputationRep:
    there are so many bad role models for youngsters. at primary schools the teaching assistants are invariably grossly obese women. the teachers are less obese as they have some self-control, but hardly any of them are "willowy".
    as for the parents....

:mob:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoflower)
    Erm... I don't eat that way. I exercised for 1 hour a day yesterday

My breakfast= smoothie (bananas etc)
    Snack= Raisins
    Lunch= Wholewheat noodles, mushrooms, soy sauce and vegetables.

Its not hard to eat healthy
    Lol what a ****ty diet, are you a rabbit?

ReputationRep:
    "Whose"?

ReputationRep:
    We are all to blame - mainly convenience and how fast we can get our food. I am especially to blame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)
    L.O.L 😭

ReputationRep:
    Well of course there is going to be an obesity problem when energy dense food is cheaper and more available than healthier alternatives.

Also, education. Very people have knowledge about what large quantities of fast food does to your body.

ReputationRep:
    British culinary culture and tradition. Crisps (called chips in the developed world...) are eaten much less elsewhere, and you don't have a lot of independent, non-chain bakeries who actually make fresh, healthy bread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    lol well if it makes me skinny idc

and i did it meat for dinner, i just didn't include it because my mum cooks that

ReputationRep:
    lol well if it makes me skinny idc

and i did it meat for dinner, i just didn't include it because my mum cooks that
    How tall are you?

You don't want to be below your caloric maintenance level/ low on protein by a massive margin. You don't want to be losing 'good mass' being muscle, mass that makes a women look feminine 'curvy'.

ReputationRep:
    How tall are you?

You don't want to be below your caloric maintenance level/ low on protein by a massive margin. You don't want to be losing 'good mass' being muscle, mass that makes a women look feminine 'curvy'.

I'm doing fine I eat around 2000-3000 calories a day. I definitely get enough protein as well. And I exercise to try and get more muscle. Also, I'm curvy-ish but slim- my measurements are 33-26-37.

I'm 5ft7, lol why does that matter? My weight is 58kg.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing fine I eat around 2000-3000 calories a day. I definitely get enough protein as well. And I exercise to try and get more muscle. Also, I'm curvy-ish but slim- my measurements are 33-26-37.

I'm 5ft7, lol why does that matter? My weight is 58kg.

Your caloric maintenance level is dependant on your height/other factors. If you're tall you will need to consume more calories to maintain a healthy amount of mass than someone who is shorter.

ReputationRep:
    Your caloric maintenance level is dependant on your height/other factors. If you're tall you will need to consume more calories to maintain a healthy amount of mass than someone who is shorter.
    Oh okay, well I'm sure an average of 2,500 cal per day is enough for a 5ft7 girl.

ReputationRep:
    The fatties/parents of mini fatties of course

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, well I'm sure an average of 2,500 cal per day is enough for a 5ft7 girl.
    It's probably too much. Based on this: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ you would need about 1450 if you were to do nothing throughout the day. You probably don't burn 1050 calories with exercise/general daily activities, although you might, I don't know what your lifestyle is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    Smallish punnet of raspberries- £2

Big bar of chocolate- £1

That's one of the problems.
    There's plenty of cheaper fruits than rapberries. The tesco near me sells 6 decent sized apples for £1.50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    It's probably too much. Based on this: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ you would need about 1450 if you were to do nothing throughout the day. You probably don't burn 1050 calories with exercise/general daily activities, although you might, I don't know what your lifestyle is like.
    I do exercise most days (1hr). I eat healthy foods and for some reason no matter how much I eat of naturally healthy foods, I don't gain weight! Instead I'm slowly losing which is what I want.

Also, 1450 is not enough. I would feel hungry and get headaches... I've eaten little before and I felt sick.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.