Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman10)
    Are you applying already? :O
    No, just wanted to get the standard admin bit out of the way before term starts and everything gets hectic!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    I've been going through the Jones Day application filling in all the standard stuff (personal details, A levels etc) but I'm not sure how to differentiate between work experience and extra-curriculars. I guess the things I do are more extra-curricular, but some do sort of overlap with a work experience context.
    Although I can understand you could potentially consider something as either, it is important to distinguish them. It can be frustrating when on a CV/application something is under one section, when it should be in the other.

Work experience should be anything you are paid for, or where you are getting training/insight into a profession - literally anything "work" related. Extra curriculars should be anything where you have had responsibility or an on-going commitment but is nothing to so with the world of work.

I know there is sometimes a grey area - the obvious one that comes up is volunteering in a free legal clinic/CAB. But to me this would be work experience as if you weren't volunteering, it could easily be a job you are paid to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to apply to PwC Legal but they state that they expect applicants to have had at least 2 relevant legal work placements or open days (which I don't yet have).

A bit worried that this will disadvantage me for other firms too :erm:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to apply to PwC Legal but they state that they expect applicants to have had at least 2 relevant legal work placements or open days (which I don't yet have).

A bit worried that this will disadvantage me for other firms too :erm:
    I've seen plenty of vac schemers with no legal work experience on vacation schemes with city firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I've seen plenty of vac schemers with no legal work experience on vacation schemes with city firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a relief, thanks!

PM'd you regarding distinguishing on the forms

ReputationRep:
    Any other vacation scheme applications open at other firms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasllf)
    Any other vacation scheme applications open at other firms?
    PwC Legal

ReputationRep:
    PwC Legal
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've been going through the Jones Day application filling in all the standard stuff (personal details, A levels etc) but I'm not sure how to differentiate between work experience and extra-curriculars. I guess the things I do are more extra-curricular, but some do sort of overlap with a work experience context.
    Could you give me an example where that problem arises? I wish there was a standard applications that all firms used, would make like so much easier lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    Could you give me an example where that problem arises? I wish there was a standard applications that all firms used, would make like so much easier lol.
    Like J-SP said above, one example could be volunteering in a legal advice clinic, and I don't know, I guess being on a society committee could be one too depending on what you're doing :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Like J-SP said above, one example could be volunteering in a legal advice clinic, and I don't know, I guess being on a society committee could be one too depending on what you're doing :erm:
    Yeah, that's true. Although, I'd always place society related experience as an extra-curricular tbf.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Society/club stuff is definitely extra curricular - never work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ugh

ReputationRep:
    Oh! I was looking at the form too! The form is so simple that it is scary :/ When do you plan to apply? I was thinking maybe end of september or mid oct :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I'm just going to ease your worries slightly. Here are some of my academic details:

GCSE: 4 A's 6 B's 1 D
    AS Level: ABBC
    A2 Level: A*A*A (third highest mark in year and highest in each subject)
    1st year Psychology: 68% (2.1 and above in all modules)
    1st year Law: 67% (2.1 and above in all modules)
    2nd year Law: 64.75% (2.1 and above in all modules, highest mark in one module)

My personal tutor often says I'm too negative about my performance. I wanted 66%+ in my second year of law but achieved 60% and 61% in a couple of the modules. You need to demonstrate academic flare and getting the odd 2.2 or low 2.1 doesn't matter. I've been offered a training contract from White & Case. I was also offered a VAC scheme interview with Travers Smith. As long as you achieve a mid 2.1 + there shouldn't be any problems in applying to a mid sized commercial law firm. Recent grades are far more important than earlier ones. It's more important to focus on experience, commercial awareness, demonstrating your enthusiasm for commercial law and yourself as a character. As long as you meet their requirements, which the firm often specifies, there shouldn't be a problem with academic details.
    Hey, thanks for the reply! I think you've settled my doubts about my GCSE results but I still feel a little anxious about my degree results as I didn't get consistent 2:1s throughout my course. Also, I agree with your personal tutor: you are negative about your academic performance because some of those results are amazing. Well done. Do you know (or anyone who's reading this post) if firms like Herbert Smith Freehills or other Silver Circle firms emphasize the importance of getting consistent 2:1s throughout your degree?

Thank you for insight and advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coke_addict2010)
    Hey, thanks for the reply! I think you've settled my doubts about my GCSE results but I still feel a little anxious about my degree results as I didn't get consistent 2:1s throughout my course. Also, I agree with your personal tutor: you are negative about your academic performance because some of those results are amazing. Well done. Do you know (or anyone who's reading this post) if firms like Herbert Smith Freehills or other Silver Circle firms emphasize the importance of getting consistent 2:1s throughout your degree?

Thank you for insight and advice!
    Firms do look for consistency. How many 2.1s compared to 2.2s do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Also guys, is having completed a first year open day / workshop with the firm a substantial benefit when applying? Or do they not pay much attention to such matters?

I wanna apply to HSF because I really enjoyed my time there during the first year workshop. However if it means that I won't be able to apply for a TC there if I get rejected this time, I'm not sure if I want to risk it.

ReputationRep:
    Firms do look for consistency. How many 2.1s compared to 2.2s do you have?
    I only have one 2:2 which was a 58 in my second year. I also, however, got a 61 aswell in my second year. But in my final year, I got 67+ in all my modules and so averaging out at a 66. Do you know if they're more lenient when it comes to non-law degrees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coke_addict2010)
    I only have one 2:2 which was a 58 in my second year. I also, however, got a 61 aswell in my second year. But in my final year, I got 67+ in all my modules and so averaging out at a 66. Do you know if they're more lenient when it comes to non-law degrees?
    I don't see any reason why firms would be more lenient towards non-law degrees. They expect a strong level of academic performance no matter what it is you study. Getting one 2.2 and 61% is not an issue in my opinion, however. Especially taking into consideration your strong third year performance.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any reason why firms would be more lenient towards non-law degrees. They expect a strong level of academic performance no matter what it is you study. Getting one 2.2 and 61% is not an issue in my opinion, however. Especially taking into consideration your strong third year performance.
    Sorry, I wasn't implying that law firms would be more lenient towards those doing a non-law degree. Thanks for your advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.