Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You could always look at universities closers to home, whereby she can stay at home and commute. As others have suggested she could always take a year and work to earn some money for it.

I think people are being a little assumptious. Just because their gross income is 70k doesn't mean they live the high life. If anything, it's a sad situation to be in knowing you do earn so much money but still can't afford to help with a situation like this; nobody would enjoy admitting they can't afford to help their child.

I'm going to university this September and have worked the past year after college to help fund myself. I don't have a lot of money but enough for the basics for a little while. I'm sure if she wants to go to university bad enough, she'll be fine to work or look at other options to obtain her degree. I'm not sure how open university works, but again, could be another route to look down.

The midlands have reasonable accommodation costs; some private housing is roughly £65 a week (although a few extra bills need to be paid on top of this) OR uni/private halls can cost around £4000. Eitherway, I'm sure you have options that will enable her to get to uni next year.

Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink1808)
    Hi I am looking for a little advice, My Daughter in wanting to go to Uni starting 2015 which I have no problem with at all, the problem starts with how it is all funded we have a household income of £70k per year so she is only entitled to the loans I have looked into all accommodation and living cost and so on and have worked it out that it will cost me round about 6K a year to send her.

So this is where is is difficult,,, I can not free up that kind of money at all so what am I to do? can we are parents refuse to support her ? meaning that more funds are available ? or do we have to just say sorry no you cant go ?

Any help and advice would be great.

Thanks.
    It is difficult to see why you would need to give her so much

We worked out the difference between loan and loan+grant - it is about £3500 so that is what we give to our daughter - it is plenty

ReputationRep:
    She cost me £34 bus pass, £50 pocket money, £10 phone bill and maybe £100 food (maybe) so no not really
    Is that per month

my grocery bills increase by more than that per month when either child is at home

does her entire social life, clothing, etc come under the £50 - that does not seem much

ReputationRep:
    Hi all Many thanks for all your replies I can see from everyone's point of view
    Just to make it clear 70k is not as straight forward as it sounds as others have said we pay 40% tax on some also there is 15% goes straight in to a pension then there is NI and yes it 1 income and yes there is one more small child, we have a normal size mortgage as I have said before we do not live the life of luxury we haven't had a family holiday for 7 years as I don't see the point of wasting that amount of money.

I dont think I made myself clear when I first wrote the post.

What I wanted to know is I understand my Daughter can get the loans which is fine but when I was reading about on some estimates it said the cost per year for living costs and so on would be 9k but as we haven't applied for anything yet it is all guess work so I panicked but after reading more I really don't see it costing so much but bottom of the line I just wanted to know if there was anyway you could borrow more money to make up the short fall but by the looks of it there is not.

My daughter has been trying to find a job for the past year and all she keeps getting is rejection with it heartbreaking to see as she worked so hard at school (14 GCSE A* & A ) she must apply for at least 10 a week but she knows that she has to work to fund all the things she want to do.

We have talked it over and come to the decision that if she is still unemployed when she starts Uni she will go to a local one to save the living cost and maybe in her 2nd year leave home them.

I would like to thank everyone who commented even at sometimes they seemed a little harsh and quick to judge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Is that per month

my grocery bills increase by more than that per month when either child is at home

does her entire social life, clothing, etc come under the £50 - that does not seem much
    Yes it is per month and yes everything she wants to do apart from essentials
    like shoes, underwear and so on , I know it sound a small amount but as i have said many times we work on a tight budget and that's all we can afford after everything else May I add the food I have no clue really was just a estimate I spend £100 - £150 per week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    You really don't understand how tax works do you?

It is graded. So they will pay 20% up to and 40% on anything over 32000. Even if one person was earning they'd take home just around 50 grand, around 47 with a pension factored in. That's an awful lot of take home, and the op seems to suggest it is combined income rather than one person, in which case they will have a lot more.

In our case its just over 40K with everything (tax, NI, Pension)

ReputationRep:
    Like has been said before with this thread, she won't need £6k on top of her loan as long as she's money savvy and doesn't waste it all on drink and other stuff she doesn't need. Either just pay her accommodation and her loan will cover all her living costs or let her loan cover accommodation and then give her £200/£250 a month, depending on how expensive the area is and as long as she knows how to be smart with her money, she should be fine with that. I know several people who have one of those arrangements.

Plus there are a lot of part time student jobs available, though she should make sure it's not too many hours to the point it impacts on her degree.

You just have to not be picky where you shop, Lidl is great for students and realise that you don't need anything like an en suite, which boosts the price loads for the sake of not having to walk a few meters down the corridor to the loo.

I also would recommend you to look at Northern Universities, as there are some really nice ones but the living costs tend to be a lot cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    How rude, well if that what Uni does for your manners I don't think I will send her !!! bet your parents are really proud of you helping people in the way you do,
    And when I say 70k that is not take home pay there are taxes and other stoppages
    Hi, ok when you stated £70k a year you could have stated thats before tax as i understand tax you get around £9k tax free wages then salaries over £50k are taxed at 50% meaning you actually only bring home betweeb £35k and £45k a year not taking into consideration nation insurance contributions nor prescriptions nor infact any student loans or fees you have to pay people dont realise that an average house costs £600-£700 a month in mortgage payments then council tax many live with their parents.

Maybe get her to work or see if she can get some sort of help if you submit an expenditure and income financial statement showing your outgoings will be higher than your income.

No one has the right to judge you for not having £6k everyone has different circumstances. Maybe she could go to a university close by her home and then not live in halls. There are lots of options. Make her work so she can ve sefl sufficient

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight Star)
    Like has been said before with this thread, she won't need £6k on top of her loan as long as she's money savvy and doesn't waste it all on drink and other stuff she doesn't need. Either just pay her accommodation and her loan will cover all her living costs or let her loan cover accommodation and then give her £200/£250 a week, as long as she knows how to be smart with her money, she should be fine with that. I know several people who have one of those arrangements.

Plus there are a lot of part time student jobs available, though she should make sure it's not too many hours to the point it impacts on her degree.

You just have to not be picky where you shop, Lidl is great for students and realise that you don't need anything like an en suite, which boosts the price loads for the sake of not having to walk a few meters down the corridor to the loo.

I also would recommend you to look at Northern Universities, as there are some really nice ones but the living costs tend to be a lot cheaper.
    You don't need £200-250 a week as a student after accommodation is paid for. You can easily live on less than £100pw.

ReputationRep:
    In our case its just over 40K with everything (tax, NI, Pension)
    Similar to my parents household then. How many kids school fees are you paying out of that? I assume that's where the money is going as once my brother started private school my parents had to make a couple of cutbacks, though nothing major. 40k is an awful lot, sureley there are cuts you could make elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    You don't need £200-250 a week as a student after accommodation is paid for. You can easily live on less than £100pw.
    You're right. You can get by fine on much less than that as well, depending on your appetite and how much you need to spend on food. In fact, my post that you quoted should of actually said month, which is what some people I know get but I must have accidentally put week with lots of other people saying pw. Admittedly where my uni is has some of the lowest living costs in the country, so for that I've known people be able to get plenty of food and still go out drinking sometimes (not all the time though), I don't know if that's too little in more expensive areas. Thank you for pointing that out.

ReputationRep:
    If she is struggling to get a job,Id advise her to volunteer in a charity shop for a while I did that before I came to uni as I kept getting rejected for lack of experience, after that I got a job as soon as I applied for one at uni so that may help. I also rent private uni accommodation at £325 a month and I know people who have rooms with single beds for around £280 and this is in the south, although being from the north I can say its definitely cheaper to rent up there. Bills for us were no more than £20 month not including internet ect, and I can do a good food shop on £20 a week. Could also look at sharing a room I know some unis do that. If she gets a job at weekends and lives in private rented she should be able to cover her costs, my weekend jobs gives me almost £300 a month which nearly covers my rent so with the student loans she should be ok, skint but able to live and go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickie89uk)
    Hi, ok when you stated £70k a year you could have stated thats before tax as i understand tax you get around £9k tax free wages then salaries over £50k are taxed at 50% meaning you actually only bring home betweeb £35k and £45k a year not taking into consideration nation insurance contributions nor prescriptions nor infact any student loans or fees you have to pay people dont realise that an average house costs £600-£700 a month in mortgage payments then council tax many live with their parents.

Maybe get her to work or see if she can get some sort of help if you submit an expenditure and income financial statement showing your outgoings will be higher than your income.

No one has the right to judge you for not having £6k everyone has different circumstances. Maybe she could go to a university close by her home and then not live in halls. There are lots of options. Make her work so she can ve sefl sufficient

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are so stupidly ignorant about the the UK tax system you ought to stop posting and start reading before making yourself look even dafter.

I'll start you off for helpers.
    No one in the UK pays income tax at 50%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    On a household income that high you should be able to find some money (and I say that as someone coming from a family with a similar income) unless you have huge amounts of kids. Think about how much it costs you to keep her now: food, travel, holidays. Anything you spend on her. Surely you can give her at least that without losing out.

Keep in mind, we don't know if he has to pay back debts and such. A high income doesn't mean they are debt free. I am getting the standard maintenance loan because my dad mainly earns too much, but because of debts he is unable to really support me and I will be working a part time job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.