Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseSalmon)
    I applied to Merton college, but they give everyone an interview at another college so I also had an interview at Queen's. I didn't get into Merton in the end, but did get into Queen's. In a way, I'm sort of glad. I've heard stories that the Merton college pushes its students really hard whereas Queen's seems to be much more relaxed and friendly.

At the end of the day, don't put too much thought into what college you apply for. There aren't massive differences between them and even if you get an offer to study at Oxford, there's no guarantee it will be at the college you applied for. Just look at all the colleges and choose one which looks pretty. That's what most people do. Food is another factor. If there's one thing I've learnt in my two weeks here, it's that the food at Queen's is brilliant.

Anyway, as for advice: Learn your entire Chemistry A-level syllabus before your interview; even the stuff your teacher hasn't covered yet. Read through the textbook and try to understand everything as best you can.
    Maths is extremely important for the Chemistry course. Most of Physical Chemistry and a lot of Inorganic Chemistry is based on maths so make sure you're up to date with the stuff on your Maths A-level.
    Once you've done that, try and get yourself some of the core textbooks for the Chemistry course (eg. Clayden et al Organic Chemistry, Shriver and Atkins Inorganic Chemistry) and read a few of the chapters. If you can't get your hands on any of these just yet, just make sure you read as much as possible outside the A-level syllabus on the internet or in any books you can find.

All the questions will be about Chemistry (and some maths). If you don't know the answer to the questions, do not say "I don't know". Come up with something which you think sounds reasonable and the tutors will help you a bit.

They did have an entire interview based on your personal statement, but my interviewer asked me only a few questions and didn't seem very interested in my response, then quickly went on to ask me some more chemistry questions.

If you're good at chemistry and have a clear interest in it, you will probably be fine.
    Thank you so much, that's really good advice I had to teach myself nmr because our teachers won't teach it to us until spring and I heard it comes up a lot. I've applied to St Hugh's and it's amazing, but it's the course that counts
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ja-m-ie)
    If you are applying for medicine, which I believe you are, get work experience! Seriously. There are tons of people applying for medicine that have never been in a hospital, which means they have no idea what is entailed in working in a hospital, e.g. dealing with patients, seeing sick people, checking out dead bodies...

During your course, you will have to look at dead bodies and treat patients, which may seem obvious, but some people get squeamish and want to opt out. Well, you can't really be a doctor if you are squeamish, so proving you aren't to tutors by getting experience is invaluable.

It doesn't have to be anywhere glamourous. Just ask your family or friends if they know anyone in a hospital or sending out some letters/visit your local hospital and see if you can get some diverse experience.

It'll also confirm to you that you want to be a doctor.

(My wife is an Oxford medic, and we've spoken about this a lot).
    You're married?! Or is it your college wife?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    I'm hoping to apply for medicine

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I am foreign student. I am studying A-level course with Maths/Politics/History/FurtherMaths.
    I study in here for Oxford and I would study law in there. Can anybody give me some advise to get there ? I heard that I had to do some special exam from Oxford, is that right ?

ReputationRep:
    Lol this is so dead compared to Cambridge one I have no idea why

I was thinking of NatSci at Cambridge recently I've been thinking of Chemistry so might apply for Oxford Chemistry :P

6A*s and 2As in IGCSE
    Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry

The thing is, I love reading about physics but I don't enjoy IGCSE/AS physics while I love chemistry even though I haven't read a book about it (I do watch videos and read online thoigh)
    I don't know what uni physics or chem is like, so can't say for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs : 10 A*s and 2 As
    AS levels: Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, and philosophy and ethics

Course: Not sure out of : maths, physics, maths and philosophy, physics and philosophy, or Natural Sciences (at Cambridge instead).

College: dunno

I need to find someone who studies philosophy as a joint part of their course so I can find out more about the course. If anyone knows someone who's studying this at Oxford, please tell me, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Most pleased to have found this!

GCSE grades: 9A*, 4A
    A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths AS, will not be taking Maths A2.
    Course: Biological sciences
    College: As yet undecided, most heavily influenced by architecture and the standard of any choirs/orchestras. And quality of food, naturally.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry hopeful checking in!
    A-Levels: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths (+potentially an EPQ)

ReputationRep:
    So, there's a group for Cambridge, and I thought there should be one for Oxford too. Never too early to start discussing!
    What course is everyone hoping to apply, and what are everyone's current stats so far?

ReputationRep:
    There's already a thread for 2016 applicants in Oxford forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    Hi guys!
    I'm hoping to apply for medicine
    What are your current stats? Same! *high fives*

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 6A*s, 4As
    A-Levels: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Accounting, Further Maths
    Course: Biological Sciences
    College: Merton or Worcester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsn1997)
    Hello guys, I am foreign student. I am studying A-level course with Maths/Politics/History/FurtherMaths.
    I study in here for Oxford and I would study law in there. Can anybody give me some advise to get there ? I heard that I had to do some special exam from Oxford, is that right ?
    Go on the website for more accurate requirements, but apparently you have to take the LNAT for Oxford if you wish to study law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prowster)
    GCSEs : 10 A*s and 2 As
    AS levels: Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, and philosophy and ethics

Course: Not sure out of : maths, physics, maths and philosophy, physics and philosophy, or Natural Sciences (at Cambridge instead).

College: dunno

I need to find someone who studies philosophy as a joint part of their course so I can find out more about the course. If anyone knows someone who's studying this at Oxford, please tell me, thanks.
    What do you want to know about studying philosophy as a joint part of a course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helloitsmee)
    What are your current stats? Same! *high fives*
    Ah yey, it's so good to meet a fellow hopeful medic haha!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ja-m-ie)
    If you are applying for medicine, which I believe you are, get work experience! Seriously. There are tons of people applying for medicine that have never been in a hospital, which means they have no idea what is entailed in working in a hospital, e.g. dealing with patients, seeing sick people, checking out dead bodies...

During your course, you will have to look at dead bodies and treat patients, which may seem obvious, but some people get squeamish and want to opt out. Well, you can't really be a doctor if you are squeamish, so proving you aren't to tutors by getting experience is invaluable.

It doesn't have to be anywhere glamourous. Just ask your family or friends if they know anyone in a hospital or sending out some letters/visit your local hospital and see if you can get some diverse experience.

It'll also confirm to you that you want to be a doctor.

(My wife is an Oxford medic, and we've spoken about this a lot).
    I've had 2 weeks of experience in a theatre shadowing a family friend and I have a week lined up at my local gp. The only problem is I'm finding it really hard to find nursing homes/hospitals etc that accept a level students, locally they tend to focus on undergrads

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow everyone GCSE's are so impressive... does anyone know how much Oxford looks at GCSE's? I really want to study physics at Oxford but of course that will require high standards is Oxford strict about requirements...?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie1o5)
    Wow everyone GCSE's are so impressive... does anyone know how much Oxford looks at GCSE's? I really want to study physics at Oxford but of course that will require high standards is Oxford strict about requirements...?
    Look up SimonOxfPhys on YouTube. :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie1o5)
    I can't speak for all cases nor do I have an offer in my hands, but with 3A*, 3A's and 3B's at IGCSE I've been given an interview for History at Christ Church. So I wouldn't look too much into it, I think if anything they want to look for development from GCSE to A level, or in my case IB.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about studying Maths at Oxford? I have 12 A*s at GCSE and an A in Additional Maths and would love to apply but some people have hinted that it's more competitive than other courses - is that actually true? I'm at a state school & sixth form and have no idea if I could even get an interview!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.