Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Isn't reproduction technically child abuse? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    What do you mean by this? I sincerely hope you don't mean what I think you mean. If you do, I'm pretty damn offended.
    I didn't mean to offend anyone. Perhaps it may be difficult to understand me, because of my weak language skills and I really find lots of trouble when I am trying say to in English, what I think in my native language. My point was that every living person suffers during his life, while the one who never existed does not suffer, neither the one cannot feel any loses, because he does not exist. Do you catch my drift?
    A logical conclusion I suppose: Alive must suffer. The one who never existed cannot suffer because he does not exist.

(Original post by Nogoodsorgods)

If there's a God, God must reckon 'Each person will find a way for what is best for them or will die in the struggle by disease / disappointment / depression / drugs etc but will then be in my care after death'.
    Presuming that the God is like the one from the major religions, which is quite unlikely in my opinion. I don't understand, why the God would care to give life in eternity to dead humans?

Children, given the right environment of people, are naturally beautiful
    Personally I rather recognize human race as rather agressive and destructive. We fight agaist other humans and animals, we kill different species in a horrific manner even If we do this only to survive (chicken ferms for example, or destroying natural habitat of many species in order to build some roads for example)

Is a child just your desperate attempt at having a companion- or someone who is dependent on you to make you feel more powerful- or your metaphorical or actual punching bag?
    From my experience, it is one of the most common reasons, no matter are the people atheists or believers.

Always look on the bright side of life! That should be my last word. But remember that it is not only the bright side of your life but it can be the bright side of other people's too.
    I think that human life is a permanent war. If not a regular military war, then the war of economies and ideologies- all the time. If human life makes any sense, it is important, which description of the world and technique of think will rule the human life. Quite big thinking abilities are the thing that makes humans quite extraordinary. Therefore, people should concentrade on discovering and understanding universe, instead of having fun or fighting for ideologies that do not bring any new, better quality in world discovering. If understanding the universe does not make any more sense than just living, then I don't see why would we live and suffer any longer.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Man hands on misery to man;
    it deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    and don't have any kids yourself.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone thinking that this debate has any relevance in the REAL world - what do you expect to happen: an interview in the womb?

ReputationRep:
    When a baby is born, it has no choice in the matter of whether it wishes to come in to this world.

To not give someone a choice in a matter is to deprive them of free will.

Not only that but you will be bringing them in to a world in which 99.99% of people might not even specifically care about them- or have the time / emotion / intellect to show that they care about them.

A world in which they could experience great pain - physical, emotional, intellectual - at any point which could last a lifetime depending on how sensitive they are or how supportive the people in their environment are.

A world in which some of the greatest people who have lived are dead, not close to hand or who never had the appreciation that they deserved in their own lifetime - or even after that.

A world in which they are at the mercy of choices denied to them - such as where and when they are born and often which school they will go to.

If a parent feels that it gives it childs adequate love, they form that opinion subjectively based on how they feel that their child's upbringing compares to their own. And family love is sometimes no weapon against uncaring 'society'. So the child has to learn how to fend for themselves. Someone who never even asked to be born is put in an unavoidable situation where they have to conquer, adapt, be controlled or shrink away. None of these options is sufficient enough for clever and sensitive children that they would have happy enough lives. Because in order to preserve their sensitivity they have to conquer which means that they compromise their very sensitivity. So by being born, which they were not given a choice in, they are forced to deny their very self. If that is not a supreme example of child abuse- at an existential level- I don't know what is.

If God exists, God no doubt wants some (not necessarily all) to reproduce.
    But if God exists God surely wouldn't make life so very hard on some of the young. It's hard for the young to even look at some adults - adults who are walking embodiments of failure in many cases.

But if God does not exist (as many say) there is no objective yardstick that says that reproduction is a good. Just because it might feel nice having sex doesn't mean that its possible product is necessarily a good.
    Nobody has total free will.

And reproduction is a natural evolutionary drive.

ReputationRep:
    A world in which they could experience great pain - physical, emotional, intellectual - at any point which could last a lifetime depending on how sensitive they are or how supportive the people in their environment are.
    Pain is a part of life. Pain and pleasure are not the only human senses. Besides, it helps to refine and strengthen man. It helps it to strive.

ReputationRep:
    But I love my life. And I watch my baby brother everyday happy, smiling, laughing and developing into a wonderful person. And I love people in my life, I couldn't live without them. I'm excited for my future, experiencing things, making mistakes and learning from them, helping others who need help. Growing up, having a cry but having a laugh. Life is beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what a load of arrant nonsense

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.