Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's official, the UK is the gayest nation in Europe! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinejuice)
    yay!!
    An apt response :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    happy that we are increasingly tolerant but really what does this map even mean?
    Whatever you want it to dear

(it means that civil society, and 'the establishment', are __% gay-rights friendly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    But apparently, some UKIP supporters are building an ark to save themselves from the coming floods.
    Haha. Floods of homosexuals? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bionic_Fighter)
    Surprised Portugal and Spain are far different when it comes to LGBT rights
    Most of the hispanic folks I've met over the years have been liberals, mind you they've been people whom have travelled over here so that skews the sample somewhat :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    I'm wondering what they consider is needed to make us 100% equal
    I wondered the same tbh, methinks we've pretty tolerant/equal institutions these days eh. Would probably put it closer to 90+ myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    I guess we still only have 2 genders on passports and such but I can't see that changing anytime soon
    Imagine the confusion at passport control in some decidedly backwards state when, under gender, they read: "pansexual ladyboy". Without wishing to sound insensitive he gender identity thing is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Also, it says sex not gender on my passport..

We get 75% for asylum, of gay refugees I'm guessing
    See that in itself could be very misleading - supposing it means we take admit people on the basis of homophobic discrimination back home, 100% might imply we'd accept every single asylum seeker on the basis that they declared themselves homosexual and subject to ill treatment back home ~ the ramifications of this should be fairly apparent :flutter: :fan: :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    I am slightly surprised that the Nordic countries rank below us, I was under the impression they were glorious liberal utopias.
    Likewise.. just goes to show, we should 'never believe what you hear in the news' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to tell me, sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    For all this country's faults, we are quite a tolerant society and this news doesn't surprise me very much.

But apparently, some UKIP supporters are building an ark to save themselves from the coming floods.
    They believe in global warming now? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minify)
    Germany isn't Catholic, they were literally the first country to ditch Catholicism. Spain is the super Catholic one so I am surprised at how accepting they are.
    'Germany' never ditched catholicism... Luther pinned the 95 theses to the All Saints' Church in Saxony (arguably kickstarting the reformation) which was one state in the Holy Roman Empire. There were an enormous number of other states which, after the Peace of Augsburg in 1555, had the religion of their head of state. One of the key issues of the politics of the Seventeenth Century was the Habsburg Emperor seeking to reassert his own catholicism over the protestant German princes.

As at 2011, Germany can be over simplistically divided between a predominately catholic south and a predominately protestant / atheist north.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ottom)
    Given a couple of movies I happened to catch recentishly I am not surprised at Scandinavia ranking lower than us.
    You happen to watch Scandinavian homophobic movies? That's quite a coincidence :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DErasmus)
    That's gay.
    True, true :nyan:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Lithuania being 22% is somehow unbelievable :laugh:
    Cognitive dissonance my friend..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Cognitive dissonance my friend..
    In simple English that means?

ReputationRep:
    Cognitive dissonance

ReputationRep:
    The UK is a nation of many queens i think it's something to be proud of that you guys are so diverse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Would be interesting to compare that map to one depicting general tolerance from the population
    Very interesting, yes. My sense is that in the UK the state has dragged/is dragging the population up, rather than the other way round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Aye.
    Would you outlaw homosexuality? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Would you outlaw homosexuality? :eyeball:
    Not exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajibola)
    Would be interesting to see this done in other first world countries. I imagine countries like Canada and New Zealand would do pretty well, but who knows.
    Agreed. Not so sure about Aus! hehe

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.