Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Really bad experiences with GP surgery watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    what part of "I was advised to see a doctor by 111" do you not understand?
    go away.
    See you don't even have an answer. There's a presumption that if you call 111 you're in some real trouble, so obviously they're going to play it safe and say see your doctor to get you off their line

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Revenged)
    You won't get this arrangement - of a guaranteed twice weekly arrangement - anywhere else. How did you get your gp to offer this?!!

the receptionist was following the instruction that you can only be seen by one GP that has made this arrangement which is reasonable given you already go twice a week.

Since you are wanting to go more often it is understandably unique situation that you should clarify on Thursday. You said that you felt you could be seen if urgent but I doubt this was your practice opinion. The receptionist has been told you were to see only one doctor and they are away. Just clarify when you see your doctor again.

Nhs 111 is a terrible service for hypochondriac - you call for reassurance but you will get told go to a&e or urgent gp appointment for everything else - not the reassurance you need, particular with anxiety disorders.

Best of luck x
    a while ago I was making apointments on nearly a daily basis. I think she was just trying to get me to cut down. now its on the other extreme, that I can't see a doctor when I need one, but when I don't need an appointment, I still have to go for the ones that have been scheduled. useless system.

ReputationRep:
    She is not amazing. she only thinks about how much money she can make out of each patient. she has no bedside manners and most of the time shes ice cold.
    feel sorry for your friend.
    Oh is it a private gp service?

I don't think you'd get that service elsewhere to be honest.

(Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    See you don't even have an answer. There's a presumption that if you call 111 you're in some real trouble, so obviously they're going to play it safe and say see your doctor to get you off their line

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I spoke to a nurse, and that's what she said. are you medically qualified?

(Original post by redferry)
    Oh is it a private gp service?

I don't think you'd get that service elsewhere to be honest.
    not in the sense that you have to pay anything to see a doctor. its run by a couple of doctors and they get a certain amount of money per patient. the doctor I see co-owns the surgery, so she can decide to see a patient on a regular basis if she wants to. you can even get a whole 5 minutes if youre lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Please keep discussion civil or this thread will be closed.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't attacking you I was saying why I didn't agree with something you done. Nothing to do with your mental health problem, did I mention that once? No. Does that make it wrong for people to point out when they think you're doing something that's wrong?

Why is it suddenly personal? I would have said the same to my mum if it was her that had done it.

You don't need to reply to this because I'm not going to answer, you clearly can't keep things civil like the mod said things should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't attacking you I was saying why I didn't agree with something you done. Nothing to do with your mental health problem, did I mention that once? No. Does that make it wrong for people to point out when they think you're doing something that's wrong?

Why is it suddenly personal? I would have said the same to my mum if it was her that had done it.

You don't need to reply to this because I'm not going to answer, you clearly can't keep things civil like the mod said things should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're the one calling me an attention seeker and a waste of time. You've said your piece, now go away.

ReputationRep:
    a while ago I was making apointments on nearly a daily basis. I think she was just trying to get me to cut down. now its on the other extreme, that I can't see a doctor when I need one, but when I don't need an appointment, I still have to go for the ones that have been scheduled. useless system.
    I understand the problem. Perhaps ask for a deal you are happier with - have only once a week appointments routine then have more appointments if you need ?

Instead of calling 111 - where most of the time it is a person with no medical qualification following algorithms - I would instead recommend other sources of health advice such as the local pharmacist. you can buy many medicines without prescription and more importantly they can give face to face advice reassurance which you will not get from 111 (you can see I am not a fan )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What im doing, is part of my anxiety which I cannot control. There is no use in you telling me its wrong, its not going to change anything. You may as well criticize someone in a wheelchair because they cant stand. Thats the last im going to say to you.

I understand the problem. Perhaps ask for a deal you are happier with - have only once a week appointments routine then have more appointments if you need ?

Instead of calling 111 - where most of the time it is a person with no medical qualification following algorithms - I would instead recommend other sources of health advice such as the local pharmacist. you can buy many medicines without prescription and more importantly they can give face to face advice reassurance which you will not get from 111 (you can see I am not a fan )
    Yeah, except I was sick in the middle of the night. Theres nothing else I could have done really.

ReputationRep:
    What im doing, is part of my anxiety which I cannot control. There is no use in you telling me its wrong, its not going to change anything. You may as well criticize someone in a wheelchair because they cant stand. Thats the last im going to say to you.
    You do not need repeated GP appointments for mental health. You need to be referred for a psychological assessment by a mental health nurse, and depending on the outcome you will probably be given NHS counselling sessions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, except I was sick in the middle of the night. Theres nothing else I could have done really.
    Thousands of people in this country are sick every night and do not waste their GP's time. They have a hot drink, get over it and go to work in the morning.

I understand the problem. Perhaps ask for a deal you are happier with - have only once a week appointments routine then have mortell pointments if you need ?

Well I thought it was implied that if I was physically unwell on other days of the week I could still see someone. But she only thinks of the money. ill tell her what happened and then I'll unregister unless she can guarantee that I will be seen when I am in need of medical help, unless they are already fully booked, which wasn't the case today.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it is time for you to say that you don't think having two appointments a week is helping you and that you would like to reduce this? If you only go once a week then you may find it easier to get an appointment on other occasions. I'm afraid that until you learn to control your anxiety and book appointments only when you are physically ill you will struggle to make your gp believe you are sick. This would be the case at any practise.

Stomach cramps and vomiting on their own are not serious conditions. Unless you are vomiting blood or have other symprtoms most people would leave a day or several days of this before they went to a doctor. They would also probably try some self help measures for the stomach cramps first, many women like a hot water bottle for stomach cramps. I am surprised the 111 service didn't tell you to make sure you have lots of drinks and wait and see if it improved by itself.

Did the CBT teach you any techniques to deal with anxiety? Could you afford to pay a private counsellor to help you deal with this? I sympathise with your anxiety but an extra appointment with the gp wouldn't have helped you.

(Original post by Pectorac)
    Thousands of people in this country are sick every night and do not waste their GP's time. They have a hot drink, get over it and go to work in the morning.
    I was acting on the advice I was given by a nurse. Is that hard to understand?

ReputationRep:
    I was acting on the advice I was given by a nurse. Is that hard to understand?
    The nurses on 111 do not know your background, the fact you have so many appointments, what your 'condition' is, etc. You cannot work on what somebody said (qualified or not), over the phone who has never met you, knows nothing about you and had no access to your medical history.

ReputationRep:
    your right the issue should of been addressed properly at the clinic, and its terrible the way you were treated.
    If i was you i would put in a formal complaint to the surgery and see what is done about it, i wouldn't change surgery's but i would say if anything like this issue occurs again then i would consider changing after that.
    Hope this helped

(Original post by parentlurker)
    Perhaps it is time for you to say that you don't think having two appointments a week is helping you and that you would like to reduce this? If you only go once a week then you may find it easier to get an appointment on other occasions. I'm afraid that until you learn to control your anxiety and book appointments only when you are physically ill you will struggle to make your gp believe you are sick. This would be the case at any practise.

Stomach cramps and vomiting on their own are not serious conditions. Unless you are vomiting blood or have other symprtoms most people would leave a day or several days of this before they went to a doctor. They would also probably try some self help measures for the stomach cramps first, many women like a hot water bottle for stomach cramps. I am surprised the 111 service didn't tell you to make sure you have lots of drinks and wait and see if it improved by itself.

Did the CBT teach you any techniques to deal with anxiety? Could you afford to pay a private counsellor to help you deal with this? I sympathise with your anxiety but an extra appointment with the gp wouldn't have helped you.
    Yeah I think she just wants to monitor my condition, but its a waste of time for me. Cbt didnt help. Ive had private counselling and anything else you can think of. Nothing works.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think she just wants to monitor my condition, but its a waste of time for me. Cbt didnt help. Ive had private counselling and anything else you can think of. Nothing works.
    If nothing works, what is it you expect your GP to do in 2 or 3 appointments a week?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.