The Student Room Group

I just graduated with a degree in Viking Studies, AMA (ask me anything)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mike_123
What do people say to you when you tell them of your degree?

Some are rude and say it's a mickey mouse degree, others are genuinely curious. From my experience it's been incredibly helpful finding work, often a company will give me an interview just because they want to know more about my degree. It stands out on a CV for sure.
Reply 61
Ooh, new question - have you done any archaeology yourself?
Reply 62
Original post by Aula
Ooh, new question - have you done any archaeology yourself?

I have indeed, we got to go and look at some digs during the degree which were fun, albeit usually rainy and muddy. Weirdly though I used to do a lot more hands on archaeology when I was younger, I went to YAC (young archaeologists club) and they get so many awesome opportunities to go to digs, go behind the scenes at museums etc... I was on time team a few times :smile:

I still volunteer with them, if you have an interest in archaeology I highly recommend it, it's free and you get to do a lot more than you would doing a full time degree imo :biggrin:
Reply 63
Whilst I congratulate you on your degree, try not to get hung up on the fact it's 22k starting. There are a good deal of jobs starting on a lot more, requiring less skill and qualification.

You should be happy that you have a job you enjoy.
Reply 64
Original post by Messalina
I have indeed, we got to go and look at some digs during the degree which were fun, albeit usually rainy and muddy. Weirdly though I used to do a lot more hands on archaeology when I was younger, I went to YAC (young archaeologists club) and they get so many awesome opportunities to go to digs, go behind the scenes at museums etc... I was on time team a few times :smile:

I still volunteer with them, if you have an interest in archaeology I highly recommend it, it's free and you get to do a lot more than you would doing a full time degree imo :biggrin:

Awesome! Best place you've done archaeology?

I'm quite jealous, I always wanted to get involved in YAC when I was younger, but my mum would never let me.
I did get the application form to volunteer with YAC where I live but the last few months I seem to have been working on the Saturdays it's been on (in the same museum where it's based). I might look at it all again in the new academic year though.
Reply 65
Original post by Aula
Awesome! Best place you've done archaeology?

I'm quite jealous, I always wanted to get involved in YAC when I was younger, but my mum would never let me.
I did get the application form to volunteer with YAC where I live but the last few months I seem to have been working on the Saturdays it's been on (in the same museum where it's based). I might look at it all again in the new academic year though.

Ah yeah if you work saturdays it can be really difficult to fit in. I had to give it up for a while when I was working in a pub because I never had the time off. Perhaps if you asked the museum they might let you do it on occasion, especially since it's only one morning per month?

Best place is probably Castle Henllys (sp) in Pembrokeshire, it's an Iron Age fort which has been partially reconstructed to show what life was like then. Lots of interesting flints and things. Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of Viking finds to be dug up that haven't already been excavated, so almost all of my archaeology experience has been on different time periods.

Do you study history/archaeology then, or just have an interest in all things buried and dusty? :smile:
When did you first become interested in Vikings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your favourite books about Vikings?

What would your dream job be?
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you like the new History channel's TV Show called 'Vikings' ? :wink:
Reply 69
Ah yeah if you work saturdays it can be really difficult to fit in. I had to give it up for a while when I was working in a pub because I never had the time off. Perhaps if you asked the museum they might let you do it on occasion, especially since it's only one morning per month?

Best place is probably Castle Henllys (sp) in Pembrokeshire, it's an Iron Age fort which has been partially reconstructed to show what life was like then. Lots of interesting flints and things. Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of Viking finds to be dug up that haven't already been excavated, so almost all of my archaeology experience has been on different time periods.

Do you study history/archaeology then, or just have an interest in all things buried and dusty? :smile:

Aaahhh!!! I totally know Cas Hen! I spent a couple of weeks there in 2005 (wow, long time ago now :erm:)

And thing is I'm only a casual at the museum, so I don't like having to say no to working days unless I need to - I don't work or earn enough to do that :sad:

I studied archaeology at university, and am currently hoping to get into museum education. It's going to take a while though, it's a super tough world out there right now :sad:
Yes I went to the University of Nottingham.

I didn't study in Norway, I had the option but it wasn't financially viable. I had coursemates who really enjoyed studying there though.

Hi, I'm thinking about applying to a different degree with a year abroad. When you say you weren't financially viable, what did you have to pay for? Accomodation? Everything? I was under the impression as you need to pay tuition fees for that time abroad that the university would subsidize/pay for it?

I might start panicking if they expect me to pay international fees if its part of the degree :s-smilie:
Reply 71
Original post by Aula
Aaahhh!!! I totally know Cas Hen! I spent a couple of weeks there in 2005 (wow, long time ago now :erm:)

And thing is I'm only a casual at the museum, so I don't like having to say no to working days unless I need to - I don't work or earn enough to do that :sad:

I studied archaeology at university, and am currently hoping to get into museum education. It's going to take a while though, it's a super tough world out there right now :sad:

Yeah I would've loved to do work in a museum but other than volunteering there really aren't the opportunities out there. Maybe someday. And that's fair enough, I suppose if you get the free time someday you might be able to do it. Not like YAC is disappearing any time soon :smile:
Do you drive a Fjord Focus ?

:holmes:
Reply 73
Original post by Comeback
Hi, I'm thinking about applying to a different degree with a year abroad. When you say you weren't financially viable, what did you have to pay for? Accomodation? Everything? I was under the impression as you need to pay tuition fees for that time abroad that the university would subsidize/pay for it?

I might start panicking if they expect me to pay international fees if its part of the degree :s-smilie:

Well for me the year abroad would have been in Norway, where the price of living is really high. Rent is on a par with London prices, and then you have to buy food too, which is apparently also expensive. Drinking/nights out just don't happen because it's about £8 a pint, or so I've heard. From what I know (bearing in mind this is from others who did it, may be wrong) the UK still covers tuition, but you don't get any grants - you can get a maintenance loan but it won't cover the full amount you need to get by there. One semester cost around 6k for accommodation/food/lifestyle for my coursemate apparently, and they had to take out a private loan with their bank to fund it.

It's certainly not impossible, I just chose not to do it based on that information. Different countries have different costs of living though, so definitely don't give up on a year abroad! :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by the bear
Do you drive a Fjord Focus ?

:holmes:

Nah this is my ride :cool:

Moragsoorm.jpg
Did you get to raid a monastery?
Reply 76
Original post by yo radical one
Did you get to raid a monastery?

Sadly not, much as we tried the monks know all our tricks now, they aren't having any of it.

Raided the Lindisfarne gift shop, though. Bought lotsa mead :smile:
Well for me the year abroad would have been in Norway, where the price of living is really high. Rent is on a par with London prices, and then you have to buy food too, which is apparently also expensive. Drinking/nights out just don't happen because it's about £8 a pint, or so I've heard. From what I know (bearing in mind this is from others who did it, may be wrong) the UK still covers tuition, but you don't get any grants - you can get a maintenance loan but it won't cover the full amount you need to get by there. One semester cost around 6k for accommodation/food/lifestyle for my coursemate apparently, and they had to take out a private loan with their bank to fund it.

It's certainly not impossible, I just chose not to do it based on that information. Different countries have different costs of living though, so definitely don't give up on a year abroad! :smile:

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I will have to do some research into it. I'm guessing the U.S. will be expensive though :redface:
Knowing that viking studies will give you no career related to your degree why would you study it at university?

I would have just done it as a hobby by myself at home. I see no point in paying 9k a year for a degree that doesn't help you get to somewhere you want.

Unless of course you wanted to be a history professor or something?
Reply 79
Yeah I would've loved to do work in a museum but other than volunteering there really aren't the opportunities out there. Maybe someday. And that's fair enough, I suppose if you get the free time someday you might be able to do it. Not like YAC is disappearing any time soon :smile:

Well I started out volunteering, then was offered a casual (paid but essentially 0 hour contract) job. Hopefully it'll eventually turn into something permanent.

It's worth keeping up with the volunteering though! Maybe you'll get something eventually!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending