The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vickie89uk
And you didnt get rejected i know that thank you so much. That worried me!!! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I didn't get rejected haha. Quite the opposite. :h:
Original post by Neostigmine
No I didn't get rejected haha. Quite the opposite. :h:

Oh yeah i had a chat with you the other day and you said you were at southampton. Thats what i meant. you advised me on the criteria for bm6 and i met 4/5 of the criteria. You did well.

Did you have a a prior degree were you a mature applicant. What grades if you dont mind did you get.... Feeling worried... Thank you sorry if those questions are cheeky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah i had a chat with you the other day and you said you were at southampton. Thats what i meant. you advised me on the criteria for bm6 and i met 4/5 of the criteria. You did well.

Did you have a a prior degree were you a mature applicant. What grades if you dont mind did you get.... Feeling worried... Thank you sorry if those questions are cheeky

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you cannot apply to BM6 if you have a degree. I was over 21 so considered mature but this doesn't have an affect on an applications.

My grades were more than the offer which at the time was CCC. People in my year group ranged from the minimum of CCC to someone with AAAA. As long as you are predicted at least the minimum requirements then everyone is considered equally. Someone with AAAA is not going to be favoured over someone with BBC (the offer now). So really the only question that matters is "Did you meet the minimum requirements?" and I must have! :smile:
No you cannot apply to BM6 if you have a degree. I was over 21 so considered mature but this doesn't have an affect on an applications.

My grades were more than the offer which at the time was CCC. People in my year group ranged from the minimum of CCC to someone with AAAA. As long as you are predicted at least the minimum requirements then everyone is considered equally. Someone with AAAA is not going to be favoured over someone with BBC (the offer now). So really the only question that matters is "Did you meet the minimum requirements?" and I must have! :smile:

Ok thank you i dont have a degree. Thats good. Bit annoyed because TSR people keep telling me i wont get in because i am too old i am 25 even last night i was told that because my ages and choice i wont get in. Which i know is utter rubbish but it still makes me feel rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Hi, thanks so much for the advise. You mentioned 40 offers. Does that mean that if 40 applicants accepted their offer and meet the conditional requirements, then 40 people will be on the course instead of 30?

You also mentioned about being reflective in your personal statement. Does that mean saying what you've learnt and how that relates to the role of a doctor?

Do you also have any advise for practising for ukcat? How long so you need? Is one month enough? How many hours in total do you think you spent?

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mangomango
Hi, thanks so much for the advise. You mentioned 40 offers. Does that mean that if 40 applicants accepted their offer and meet the conditional requirements, then 40 people will be on the course instead of 30?

You also mentioned about being reflective in your personal statement. Does that mean saying what you've learnt and how that relates to the role of a doctor?

Do you also have any advise for practising for ukcat? How long so you need? Is one month enough? How many hours in total do you think you spent?

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it does, but that has never happened. Some people have BM6 as a back up and some don't meet the offer. There were 33 people in my year, 29 in the year after, and I think 31 this year. They make a number of offers with this in mind to make sure that they don't have too many people.

YES YES YES it does :h: You also need to show why it makes you a better applicant and what skills you've learnt. If you look on the Southampton website they have their non-academic entry requirements. This is what they're looking for.

The longer the better but a month should be fine. use the UKCAT website and practice practice practice. For AR learn a list of rules t apply to the question. I can't really remember as I took it in 2009! There is a UKCAT thread in here: Med with some amazing advice.
So if I retake outside the two years I would be at a disadvantage? Meaning there's no chance of getting an offer?
Would extenuating Circumstances help in any way though?
Original post by hopefulmedic786
So if I retake outside the two years I would be at a disadvantage? Meaning there's no chance of getting an offer?
Would extenuating Circumstances help in any way though?

If you need to resit to get the BM6 requirements, then yes you would need extenuating circumstances and it would be decided on a case by case basis.

If you're resitting but already have the BM6 requirements and are just trying to get better - that's fine.
That's a big risk then as they might not accept threcircumstance.
That's a big risk then as they might not accept threcircumstance.

You can ask them before applying and see what they say but yes it could be risky if you're not sure if they'll accept your circumstances.
You can ask them before applying and see what they say but yes it could be risky if you're not sure if they'll accept your circumstances.

I asked them but they said they only judge the circumstance after the application has been sent. :frown:
I asked them but they said they only judge the circumstance after the application has been sent. :frown:

That's a shame. Good luck with whatever you chose to do :frown:
That's a shame. Good luck with whatever you chose to do :frown:

Thanks a lot. Really confused right now.

Ive had the same response woth regard to a GCSE subject theyll only tell me if its acceptable at time of application so effectively i could lose an option. Its not very helpful they should be able to say yes or no

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is your situation?

Ive had the same response woth regard to a GCSE subject theyll only tell me if its acceptable at time of application so effectively i could lose an option. Its not very helpful they should be able to say yes or no

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds really difficult. Have you phoned Southampton specifically? I can ask admissions if you like.
What is your situation?

That sounds really difficult. Have you phoned Southampton specifically? I can ask admissions if you like.

I wanted to check with them whether my Science was accepted they said they cant tell me this until application on the phone and via email. I also wanted to know if they accepted access courses from Lambeth College as it will take 4 years to do A levels as they block each other. All colleges in my area open for adults on wednesday and Thursday evenings and therefore you can only do 2 a year meaning for just AS level thats 2 year and then A2 is 2 years. But they wont answer the question. Admissions would probably be more inclined to tell you than prospective students. I understand what they are saying but it could mean studying the wrong course for 2 years and being told no at application is really unfair.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is your situation?

During my AS year I was affected throughout the year but I got to know in August (end of first year). I had 3.8 Haemoglobin level when on avr people have 12. So I was transfused 4 units of blood and 1 big unit of Iron and also go to know I had to have a surgery to remove a polyp as if left untreated, could have caused cancer. I also because of this, suffered from regular migraines and so this problem overall affected my AS year. My A2 year might have also suffered because of this.
I wanted to check with them whether my Science was accepted they said they cant tell me this until application on the phone and via email. I also wanted to know if they accepted access courses from Lambeth College as it will take 4 years to do A levels as they block each other. All colleges in my area open for adults on wednesday and Thursday evenings and therefore you can only do 2 a year meaning for just AS level thats 2 year and then A2 is 2 years. But they wont answer the question. Admissions would probably be more inclined to tell you than prospective students. I understand what they are saying but it could mean studying the wrong course for 2 years and being told no at application is really unfair.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They should tell you quite quickly if they accept certain qualifications. I'll ask. They're not more or less inclined to tell anyone. I suspect they perhaps didn't quite understand your query. I'll ask regarding the GCSE. I assume you did single award then? Only 1 GCSE for science (not 2 or three all bundled together?)

During my AS year I was affected throughout the year but I got to know in August (end of first year). I had 3.8 Haemoglobin level when on avr people have 12. So I was transfused 4 units of blood and 1 big unit of Iron and also go to know I had to have a surgery to remove a polyp as if left untreated, could have caused cancer. I also because of this, suffered from regular migraines and so this problem overall affected my AS year. My A2 year might have also suffered because of this.

Sorry I didn't mean to pry. I meant what is your application situation, are you resitting over 3 years and looking for unis that will take it? Do you have the GCSEs to back you up for normal medicine?

That sounds like a pretty serious condition that you went through and I am really sorry to hear that. I am not really familiar with the extenuating circumstances for admissions (for exams, yeah but not admission :frown: )

Have you got other options for medicine where they're openly happy about your situation? If not then it could be worth the risk...
Sorry I didn't mean to pry. I meant what is your application situation, are you resitting over 3 years and looking for unis that will take it? Do you have the GCSEs to back you up for normal medicine?

That sounds like a pretty serious condition that you went through and I am really sorry to hear that. I am not really familiar with the extenuating circumstances for admissions (for exams, yeah but not admission :frown: )

Have you got other options for medicine where they're openly happy about your situation? If not then it could be worth the risk...

just finished my A Levels and will be getting my results on Thursday. Most likely that I will be retaking in my third year. Just trying to find Uni's that will accept resits outside 2 years study period.
I've heard that Nottingham's entry requirement is BCC but don't know if they accept resits within 2 years and resits outside two years.

just finished my A Levels and will be getting my results on Thursday. Most likely that I will be retaking in my third year. Just trying to find Uni's that will accept resits outside 2 years study period.
I've heard that Nottingham's entry requirement is BCC but don't know if they accept resits within 2 years and resits outside two years.

Have a ring around and ask around in the relevant forums. It's something where you're going to need to find out policy from each uni separately annoyingly.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

This might be a good starting point though :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending