Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm due to start physics this year and I was wondering what books I should buy before I get there. People were recommending "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Young and Freedman, but I looked briefly online and there are so many versions I don't know which one to get!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyCat)
    Hey, I'm due to start physics this year and I was wondering what books I should buy before I get there. People were recommending "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Young and Freedman, but I looked briefly online and there are so many versions I don't know which one to get!

Thanks!
    I'm starting physics this year too and I've read on last year's Freshers Handbook that they recommend the 13th edition (http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/physics/s...g/textbooksetc).
    Anyway, many current students suggest that we buy books once we're there, instead of spending money before we even arrive. But, if you do want to buy some books beforehand, I'd wait until the department publishes the new handbook and see what they suggest this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyCat)

Thanks!

If I'm completely honest, don't bother buying the textbook right now. (See PM). It won't help you majorly at the moment. I suggest you wait until you are at Imperial, check out a copy of the textbook in Central Library and see how helpful it is when doing problem sheets and stuff. It is a good textbook, yes and it provides good insight into the subject itself, but the notes are more than sufficient, and you'll often find other textbooks being recommended by specific lecturers that contain all the content they'll examine you on and are often better reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlariaM)
    I'm starting physics this year too and I've read on last year's Freshers Handbook that they recommend the 13th edition (http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/physics/s...g/textbooksetc).
    Anyway, many current students suggest that we buy books once we're there, instead of spending money before we even arrive. But, if you do want to buy some books beforehand, I'd wait until the department publishes the new handbook and see what they suggest this year
    Yup I agree But I still strongly suggest waiting until you get here! :P

Enjoy the rest of your summer, looking forward to meeting you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gavin.)
    Yup I agree But I still strongly suggest waiting until you get here! :P

Enjoy the rest of your summer, looking forward to meeting you!
    Thank you for your advice, see you there

ReputationRep:
    So basically, I have to take a gap year because I only met my offer a few days ago. I had to re-mark my Physics but CIE doesn't allow priority re-marks for international students, so my re-mark took 29 days. If I take STEP II and STEP III next June and get '1's, would Imperial consider allowing me to switch from Computing to Maths? I also have A*s in Maths + FM

ReputationRep:
    Will they accept GCSE resits while doing the AS level? I've got an A on my GCSE do I need TOEFL/IELTS ?
    I hope you'll answer my questions ASAP and thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gavin.)
    I'm a first year going into second year. I've finished all my exams, and I've got a pretty good idea of what first year is about so feel free to ask any and many questions! (I'm also a hall senior in Southwell and Bernard Sunley Halls so feel free to ask questions about that too :P)

Gavin
    What subjects does the course cover? Im particularly fascinated by particle physics and nuclear physics, and im getting irritated by my AS course which is a little boring at present

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.