Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

JK Rowling writes new 1,500 word Harry Potter story Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyHylian)
    I've heard so many religious people complaining about Dumbledore being gay and how it isn't right for a film that kids can watch.
    Religious people
    complaining about a film
    that includes magic/witchcraft/wizardry
    and they only complain about sexuality rather than the fact it's about MAGIC AND WITCHCRAFT?! I guess this just follows the 'pick and choose which parts of the religion to follow which suit my needs' mentality.
    '“A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.”
    "
    “You shall not permit a sorceress to live."
    "
    And a number of those who had practiced magic arts brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted the value of them and found it came to fifty thousand pieces of silver."
    "
    “Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God."
    "
    And a number of those who had practiced magic arts brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted the value of them and found it came to fifty thousand pieces of silver. So the word of the Lord continued to increase and prevail mightily."
    "
    "Avoid the seven deadly acts which are: ascribing partners to God, magic, killing the human self which Allah prohibited except with right, eating usury, devouring the orphan's wealth, defecting from the battle-field (without a justified reason) and slandering chaste, unwary believing women. Thus Islam has closed the door for practicing magic, simply because it is against its teachings, and it is deceptive and harmful."
    You've got to be kidding, I remember there being huge resistance from certain groups in (mostly American) society, calling for parents to stop their children from reading Harry Potter, since it was glamourising the occult and tempting all the children into sin.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Not the biggest fan of HP but I don't mind short stories and spin offs in the world of successful series.

In fact, I crave them. I can sort of see why ppl might have an issue with Dumbledore being humanised. I might have agreed as a child but now I've learnt to appreciate the flaws and weaknesses of characters and how they might overcome them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Grey hairs at 33 seems a little unusual. Perhaps Rowling has a problem?
    It happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Your claims have no basis in fact. If a person is good at their job they will be promoted, regardless of age, gender, race or sexual orientation. That's the beauty of business.

If a gay person doesn't rise to the top of the business, they have only themselves to blame. The prejudice card is just a pitiful excuse.
    Yes, of course, it's so true. If you are a talented and driven individual in a business, they will disregard sons and daughters of the owners, nephews, nieces, lovers and connections and will promote YOU. They will never give you a back table in some corner and make you work for a pitiful salary, while their sons, daughters, lovers, nephews and nieces and connections take credit for your work. Never ever ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namename)
    Yes, of course, it's so true. If you are a talented and driven individual in a business, they will disregard sons and daughters of the owners, nephews, nieces, lovers and connections and will promote YOU. They will never give you a back table in some corner and make you work for a pitiful salary, while their sons, daughters, lovers, nephews and nieces and connections take credit for your work. Never ever ever.
    Not at any business worth its salt. Besides, the debate was on the impact of homosexuality, not nepotism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Not at any business worth its salt. Besides, the debate was on the impact of homosexuality, not nepotism.
    You can't be that naïve, surely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.