Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am an ex Muslim. Ask me anything. Watch

ReputationRep:
    OP

Which of the current scientific hypothesise do you most support regarding explanations for the inequality between the observed amounts of matter and anti-matter present within the universe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    I am between 16 and 19 haha

And I get on with them quite well, especially my mum.
    Oh that's so nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Is it? Where can i take this thread then?
    The Chat section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Boredom and the theme at the moment. Came back to TSR a week ago and decided to stop lurking haha
    Ok, thanks for answering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibn Fulaan)
    He was testing you and it was not a trick question.

He did not say the 5 Pillars of Islam. He said the 6 Pillars of Imaan (Faith) his initial post and then again in his reminder post.

Namely
    - Belief in Allah
    - Belief in His Angels
    - Belief in His Prophets
    - Belief in His Books
    - Belief in the Last Day
    - Belief in Divine Decree
    (Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    Clearly, you aren't an Ex-Muslim. Please try to be a bit more convincing and imaginative, ExMus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha.
    I am, though. I don't need you guys to validate me being an ex-Muslim.

Edit: I am sure my teacher taught me the 6 pillars, perhaps a few years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Hahaha.
    I am, though. I don't need you guys to validate me being an ex-Muslim.

Edit: I am sure my teacher taught me the 6 pillars, perhaps a few years ago.
    I believe you that you think you were a Muslim.

The thing is that the 6 pillars of faith is a necessary part of being Muslim (I asked about this on "Ask about Islam" thread so I am not just saying my own opinion). If you don't even know what those are then technically you weren't a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    I believe you that you think you were a Muslim.

The thing is that the 6 pillars of faith is a necessary part of being Muslim (I asked about this on "Ask about Islam" thread so I am not just saying my own opinion). If you don't even know what those are then technically you weren't a Muslim.
    I of course knew them individually, didn't know these specific ones were grouped together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    OP

Which of the current scientific hypothesise do you most support regarding explanations for the inequality between the observed amounts of matter and anti-matter present within the universe?
    I don't know. Am i supposed to have an opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    I need to research more on it. But, from what i gather, i think it is the belief that god doesn't interfere with the universe; it encourages skepticism and scientific reasoning, especially given that it gained popularity during the enlightenment era.
    I like it so far

I am conflicted about whether a God should interfere since for the sake of true free will, I don't believe a God should interfere ( i dont really think we have free will and are controlled by subconscious processes and i think we are merely witnesses of our thoughts).
    That's interesting what you say about being mere witnesses of our thoughts. You could be right. But personally I think it's a mixture of having NO control of those thoughts that pop into our head and having SOME control of our thoughts through things like: the practice of focusing our thoughts in a certain direction; meditation to calm the chattering mind; developing a healthy self awareness of our thought processes and our own vulnerabilities and flaws; developing a realistic and compassionate worldview. I'm not saying it's easy, it's probably more than a life's work, but it's a beautiful life aspiration I think. To be a seeker of wisdom and truth. I think we are born pure with the light of wisdom within us, then as we are raised by our parents and fashioned by human society with all it's contradictions and limitations that inner light of wisdom becomes more buried, then if we are lucky, we get to spend the rest of our lives unravelling that stuff so we can find true peace and the light of universal understanding.

I am not an atheist because my personal search has led me to believe in a loving life force behind the whole of the universe and everything in it, but that's just my opinion and my journey. I applaud your courage to seek the truth for yourself. I sense you are a bright-minded objective thinker and I can appreciate it must be very difficult to follow one's own instinct and break away from the heavily embedded mindset of your religious/cultural upbringing. I am happy for you because I believe you are more free now than you were and are now on the most important journey of all, the journey toward inner peace without the combined fetters of harmful religious dogma and hidebound cultural insularity. Sure your family will be upset but one owes it to oneself to follow one's own path to self becoming, truth and inner freedom. Forgive me if I sound patronising or a know-it-all. I know very little but I wish you every success and joy on your life journey. Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    I don't know. Am i supposed to have an opinion?
    Iunno, you said ask you anything...so I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    That's interesting what you say about being mere witnesses of our thoughts. You could be right. But personally I think it's a mixture of having NO control of those thoughts that pop into our head and having SOME control of our thoughts through things like: the practice of focusing our thoughts in a certain direction; meditation to calm the chattering mind; developing a healthy self awareness of our thought processes and our own vulnerabilities and flaws; developing a realistic and compassionate worldview. I'm not saying it's easy, it's probably more than a life's work, but it's a beautiful life aspiration I think. To be a seeker of wisdom and truth. I think we are born pure with the light of wisdom within us, then as we are raised by our parents and fashioned by human society with all it's contradictions and limitations that inner light of wisdom becomes more buried, then if we are lucky, we get to spend the rest of our lives unravelling that stuff so we can find true peace and the light of universal understanding.

I am not an atheist because my personal search has led me to believe in a loving life force behind the whole of the universe and everything in it, but that's just my opinion and my journey. I applaud your courage to seek the truth for yourself. I sense you are a bright-minded objective thinker and I can appreciate it must be very difficult to follow one's own instinct and break away from the heavily embedded mindset of your religious/cultural upbringing. I am happy for you because I believe you are more free now than you were and are now on the most important journey of all, the journey toward inner peace without the combined fetters of harmful religious dogma and hidebound cultural insularity. Sure your family will be upset but one owes it to oneself to follow one's own path to self becoming, truth and inner freedom. Forgive me if I sound patronising or a know-it-all. I know very little but I wish you every success and joy on your life journey. Peace.
    I think you may have changed the question in order to believe you have some free will. Focusing on a certain topic, meditation, etc., are a result of impulses beyond your control. The belief of having SOME control is I think the result of unconscious processes. Suffice it to say that everything you are consciously aware of is a result of processes happening in the brain that you are not aware of.

And i agree. I find intellectual curiousity a beautiful thing and I am glad you are seeking to understand the world and make sense of the universe and everything around us. It is always really good to see and makes me quite happy, honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity_4652)
    can you give some examples?

the bit of Islam I find most disgusting is where men who will enter heaven get 72 virgins to have sex with
    Whats wrong with sex ? Sex is one of the most pleasing things out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Aisha's marriage being consummated when she was 9;
    Slavery;
    Jihad;
    Misogyny.

Just a few.
    Misogyny how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Misogyny how?
    Headscarf, the power given to men, men have a higher degree upon women. Both sexes are treated differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Headscarf, the power given to men, men have a higher degree upon women. Both sexes are treated differently.
    Higher degree meaning were better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Higher degree meaning were better?
    Superior, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    The funeral isn't for me. Its for them. So they find solace in this religious method of coping.

And it isn't so easily to tell them, you know...:/
    but you're the one who's dead? what will happen if you tell them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    I think you may have changed the question in order to believe you have some free will. Focusing on a certain topic, meditation, etc., are a result of impulses beyond your control. The belief of having SOME control is I think the result of unconscious processes. Suffice it to say that everything you are consciously aware of is a result of processes happening in the brain that you are not aware of.
    I disagree with your belief of having no free will at all. If that is so then how can people make radical changes in their life for the better. It's a conscious decision to shake off old habits. Why have we developed such a sophisticated apparatus for abstract thought, pondering the meaning of our existence and place within the universe? Animals don't have the level of consciousness that humans do. Thoughts come and go but we choose to act in one way or the other.
    For example, when coming to a T-Junction in the road, even if our brain and logic tells us we should turn left, we can always consciously rebel against our own better judgement and turn right, even if only to prove that we DO have free will. If it is as you say, life is merely a masquerade with no point. Why bother even breathing then because it would be meaningless. People have the power of choice. Determinism, predestination, cause and effect is only true in part. The whole picture is much more pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Superior, yes.
    How is that a bad thing as your not a girl are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightyfrog2_10)
    but you're the one who's dead? what will happen if you tell them?
    I don't know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.