Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Broke my finger in a mosh pit at Reading so lifting again is going to be delayed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Broke my finger in a mosh pit at Reading so lifting again is going to be delayed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sucks! Take it easy and hopefully it'll heal up soon. Maybe you can substitute your usual workout with some exercises that are easier on your hands.

ReputationRep:
    So after 2 years of just being **** and lazy I'm finally starting this back up again! No excuses this time and really going to go for it.

16/09/2016

Today was the first day back on SL 5x5 and workout felt pretty good.

Workout A:

Squats
    20kg 1x8
    40kg 5x5

Didn't feel too bad. Still working on form but my depth was a lot better than when I was last doing squats, which is good I think.

Bench Press
    20kg 1x5
    30kg 5x5

Found this more difficult than the squats but still think it went relatively well. Definitely could have done more but just going to work up from this weight and try to perfect my form.

Barbell Rows (Yates)
    20kg 1x8
    40kg 5x5

Also thought this was a pretty good weight to start at, although on the last set I didn't really feel like I was working on my lats and just felt like I was pulling the bar with my arms? Not sure if I just lost form on the last set or what, but not sure I got it right.

Forgot to add that I mixed in a quick ab workout at the end but had to rush it because my bro needed to leave.

15 sit-ups x2
    Plank - 1 minute

Getting the new iPhone in the next few days hopefully, which means I'll be able to track my nutrition from then on as my current phone is awful and has 0 storage space. I think I used myfitnesspal or something last time which seemed pretty good - anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers.

Edit:

Also wanted to add current height/weight:

Height - 5ft 9.5 inches
    Weight - 75kg

ReputationRep:
    Was going to go to the gym today but think I'm going to give it a miss and go for a light jog instead. Got quite bad DOMS still after Friday's workout (maybe feeling it a bit more since that was my first session in quite a while) and gym closes early today so might have been rushing a bit anyway. Couple of related questions to this:

1/ If I am still feeling quite stiff/sore 2 days after a workout, would it be better to rest another day or just work through it?

2/ Is it worth investing in a foam roller? Not really sure what this is or how to use it, but when I was googling stuff today about having another rest day and it kept coming up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Foam roller is my best buy for lifting by miles

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Foam roller is my best buy for lifting by miles

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool, thanks.

Do they have these in gyms or is it the sort of thing you buy yourself and then use when you get back from the gym?

ReputationRep:
    Been delayed due to family stuff.

Workout B:

Squats
    20kg - 1x8
    42.5kg - 5x5

Felt quite easy again, but still going to keep working up from here and try to maintain good form.

OHP
    20kg - 5x5

I remember struggling a lot with this lift the last time I did SL but felt relatively easy today. One question though - it felt like I was using my lower back in the lift quite a bit - is this supposed to happen or is it incorrect form? Wasn't sure if that was one of the areas/muscles it was supposed to work.

Couldn't do deadlifts today because the gym I'm using before going back to uni is tiny and there were a whole bunch of people doing deadlifts the entire time I was there so had to leave it for dinner in the end. Also did some other stuff which wasn't relevant to the programme but was basically killing some time... (adding here for my own records anyway)

Seated row - 39kg 3x8
    Situps - BW 2x20
    Plank - BW 1 min 15 seconds

Also going to invest in a foam roller tonight and hopefully watch some videos so I have a vague idea how to use it haha.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    suck your quads up and tense your arse. Watch Omar Isuf and Alan Thrall vids on it

ReputationRep:
    Good luck at getting back into things.

As far as the rows are concerned, if you have a back exercise in which you feel you are working primarily your arms, a good thing to try is to concentrate more on pulling your elbows to (and of course past) your self, rather than pulling the bar to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising II)
    Good luck at getting back into things.

As far as the rows are concerned, if you have a back exercise in which you feel you are working primarily your arms, a good thing to try is to concentrate more on pulling your elbows to (and of course past) your self, rather than pulling the bar to you.
    Cheers, will try that tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    23/09/16

Workout A:

Decent session overall, although I did feel a tad tired throughout.

Squats
    1x8 20kg
    45kg 5x5

Not too bad, although definitely noticed the weight quite a bit more than 42.5kg. Think this is my best lift form-wise at the moment, but going to keep trying to perfect it. Question: I think coming up from the squat should be as quick/explosive as possible whilst maintaining form still, right? As in, pushing up as hard as I can. Wasn't fully sure so wanted to check this.

Bench Press
    20kg 1x8
    32.5kg 5x5

Form was better than last time, I think. Felt it working my chest more as well which I assume is a good thing haha.

Yates Row
    30kg 1x5
    42.5kg 5x5

My form wasn't great for the first couple, but think I corrected it on the next 3 sets. Still not fully sure on what my back angle should be - have been going for about 45 degrees - knees bent a bit, arse pushed back and chest facing up? Those are the main things I've been focusing on while pulling the bar closely up my legs, but form could definitely use more work on this lift.

Gym was empty so quickly did a couple of other things.

Bicep curls (barbell) - 15kg 1x8; 10kg 2x8
    Situps - BW 2x20
    Plank - 1 minute 20 seconds

Also had a bigger workout related question that I'd particularly appreciate advice on. I've been reading online (here and elsewhere) that many people who have done SL 5x5 think it is lacking in upper body hypertrophy, and when people finish it/want to move to something else their upper body is lagging. So I've been considering also adding in some other exercises alongside the big compound lifts. Originally I considered ICF 5x5, although looking at it I think that would take just a bit too long each session. Came across a variant someone posted here which took out a couple of things and reduced the volume on the compound lifts which looked pretty good to me?

(Original post by The Troll Toll)
    For squats, which you're doing every workout I also don't think the justification of needing more volume than 3x5. 9 heavy sets a week plus a set of deadlifts is by no means low volume. Whatever you say about the program, lifters on Starting Strength don't usually lack relative leg development.

For upper body, I like the added volume, but again you run into the problem of stalling a lot more. In fact, unless you have microplates I doubt you will progress next bench workout on 5x5. Personally if I wanted a linear progression routine with more volume (which is what ICF 5x5 is) I would arrange it kind of like this

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    CGBP 3x10
    Row 5x5
    Chins 3 sets
    Skullcrushers

Workout B
    Squat 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Press 3x5
    DB press 3x10
    Row 5x5
    Curls, abs if you feel the need. If you can do weighted chins and you feel you don't need curls to grow your arms then I think BW chins might work here

So I drop the volume on the main lifts which I think is necessary to avoid stalls and simplify the whole process. The lifts in bold are what you plan progress on, the other lifts just do them, work hard, and take the progress as it comes. I do think you can replace 3x5 with a ramped 5x5 which may offer a little more volume if you choose to do so, but I don't really like 5x5 sets across like ICF/SL recommend because I think you will either add weight too slowly or stall too quickly. It may be the case that doing this and stalling earlier is theoretically optimal providing you deal with it in the exactly correct way, but I don't think unsupervised novices will in practice.

I have removed hyperextensions from the routine because I don't really like them unless they're reverse hypers and I think between rows, squats and deadlifts your back is getting loads of work but that's neither here nor there. I would never be prescriptive in ab work and I never got anything out of cable crunches. I think 2x10 is fine but just do the exercise you like the best.
    This post seems to make quite a lot of sense to me and sounds like it might be a good idea, but does anyone else have comments on what is being kept/left out, or would add in any different exercises instead? Also think dropping the main lifts to 3x5 would be good and leave a bit more time for the other stuff, but not sure what the real difference is decreasing volume from 5x5 to 3x5, with those other exercises being added in?

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did a 5k run today.

Also got myself properly weighed/measured etc. on a machine at Boots while I was there - hopefully should be a bit more accurate.

Height - 5'10
    Weight - 75kg
    Body fat - 20%

ReputationRep:
    25/09/2016

Workout B:

Bolded most important questions - appreciate any advice on these.

Squats
    1x8 20kg
    5x5 47.5kg

Pretty decent. I'm sure I read somewhere that you shouldn't let your knees angle inwards when coming up on squats - is this correct? Was trying to make sure I was kind of pushing outwards slightly in order to prevent that, if that makes sense.

OHP
    1x5 20kg
    5x5 22.5kg

Form was better than last time as I watched some more youtube videos. What angle should I have my wrists at for this? I watched a few videos where people seem to have their wrists kind of bent backwards as you rest the bar on your clavicle to start with, but I'd have thought this can cause wrist damage?

Deadlift
    60kg 5, 3

Don't think my form was great on the first set of 5 as I missed a few important elements, so decided to do another 3 and really focus. Think my form was a lot better on those which I was happier about.

Away for a couple of days so next workout will be Wednesday. Also used my foam roller today for the first time and thought it was really good.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Feet should be pointed straight or slightly turned out. Your knees should track over your toes, weight going through the outside of your foot and heel.

OHP your wrists and forearms should be parallel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I overhead press with wrists slightly bent, not that you should.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising II;[url="tel:67774144")
    67774144[/url]]I overhead press with wrists slightly bent, not that you should.
    In the Omar Usaf vid i watched on YT the guy OHP'd with slightly bent wrists.

Bar firmly in the palm of his hand.

That's what i did today....marginally off being dead straight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    In the Omar Usaf vid i watched on YT the guy OHP'd with slightly bent wrists.

Bar firmly in the palm of his hand.

That's what i did today....marginally off being dead straight
    That sounds like what I do

[and its Isuf ]
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising II;[url="tel:67781888")
    67781888[/url]]That sounds like what I do

[and its Isuf ]
    It is like 2nd top vid on YouTube if you put 'Omar Isuf OHP'

Andddd noted hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a delay posting my last few sessions - just moved back to uni. Still trying to find a decent weightlifting gym in central London that isn't ****ing rammed all the time...

27/09/16

Workout A:

Squat
    20kg 1x8
    50kg 5x5

Bench Press
    1x8 20kg
    5x5 35kg

Barbell Row

35kg* 5x5

Situps - 2x25 BW
    Plank - 1 min

Decent session overall from what I can remember. Turns out I'm an absolute weapon since on the bench press I accidentally put a 1.25kg weight on one side instead of 2.5kg. Didn't find the weight an issue but I did have some problems stabilising the bar which I realised after I did my sets. I'll redo this weight next session anyway since have had over a week out given how hectic moving back down and settling in has been.

ReputationRep:
    30/09/16

Workout B:

Squat
    20kg 1x8
    52.5kg 5x5

OHP 25kg 5x5

Deadlift
    60kg 2x5

Bicep curl (barbell)
    10kg 3x8

Thought this session was also pretty good (again, from what I can remember). A couple of things that did stick out to me:

1) Deadlift form coming back down to touch the floor with the barbell wasn't great on the first set I think, hence why I went for another. Second set was a lot better as I recall so just need to properly focus on form for it throughout still.

2) Still find OHP to be a bloody hard lift. By the 4th/5th set I was really struggling and the weight obviously isn't that heavy still at this point. Is this naturally a tough lift for some/most people, or more likely to be form issue? I think my form was reasonable (watched the Omar Isuf vid as someone recommended) but I just find it tough when it comes about halfway through, i.e. raising the bar above my head after the initial push. Definitely feels like when I'm struggling I'm working my back into it too much - again, not sure how much back should be involved?

Will update again tomorrow hopefully - going to try hitting one of the lesser known student gyms nearby at 7.30am when it opens. Hopefully most students will still be in bed then haha. Also, appreciate all the advice I've been getting - didn't want people to think I'd stopped or anything due to my absence of posts lately, but hoping to get back into it from next week onwards. Fingers crossed this gym works out since I tried another nearby and it was so busy (also membership was v expensive).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.