The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

POLL: What's your view on #FreeTheNipple?

Scroll to see replies

Breastfeeding and sunbathing are fine.

All other times, I'd expect women to be covered.
Original post by barnetlad
In a way I feel saddened that such a group even feel the need to exist. I think that when breastfeeding, sunbathing, in a spa or on a beach it should be perfectly normal for a woman to be topless, and pass without comment. There are places where I want everyone to cover up, male or female, regardless.

This is a bit of a fallacious argument though. I'm mean you can't help having your own opinion, but your opinion essentially boils down to, you want to oppress others from doing something that pleases them, and doesn't have any impact on you because you have a prejudice against it.
Original post by tengentoppa
Breastfeeding and sunbathing are fine.

All other times, I'd expect women to be covered.

You 'expect' women to be covered?

So if I said I expected homosexuals not to hold hands in public that would be ok?
No-one gawps or stares at a sauna in Germany when there are young women who are topless (or nude for that matter).

That you spotted.
Original post by Last Day Lepers
You 'expect' women to be covered?

So if I said I expected homosexuals not to hold hands in public that would be ok?

Blimey, that's a strawman argument if I ever saw one.

Being covered up relates to avoiding the crime of indecent exposure.

I have no idea why you think holding hands could be construed as indecent exposure.
Blimey, that's a strawman argument if I ever saw one.

Being covered up relates to avoiding the crime of indecent exposure.

I have no idea why you think holding hands could be construed as indecent exposure.

It's not a strawman by any means. It's applying the OPs logic to a similar situation.

You for whatever reason don't think it's acceptable nipples to be out in public. You have a prejudice against it. Similarly if I had a prejudice against homosexuals I could use your logic to justify the position that homosexuals shouldn't hold hands in public.

The analogies here a very similar, with the example being the people in question doing something that has absolutely no negative impact on anyone i.e. showing a nipple in public and holding hands in public.

The prejudice here is equally an oppression of these acts not based on any justifiable premise. The premise is merely, you find nipples unacceptable thus these people should be oppressed from showing them. Equally I could claim gays holding hands are unacceptable thus they should refrain from doing so. In both scenarios you are causing a negative impact on someone doing something that has no negative impact on you.

The only real difference here is one is in one scenario it's still acceptable to voice your opposition and prejudices i.e. people shouldn't show nipples because of "indecent exposure".
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Last Day Lepers
It's not a strawman by any means. It's applying the OPs logic to a similar situation.

You for whatever reason don't think it's acceptable nipples to be out in public. You have a prejudice against it. Similarly if I had a prejudice against homosexuals I could use your logic to justify the position that homosexuals shouldn't hold hands in public.

The analogies here a very similar, with the example being the people in question doing something that has absolutely no negative impact on anyone i.e. showing a nipple in public and holding hands in public.

The prejudice here is equally an oppression of these acts not based on any justifiable premise. The premise is merely, you find nipples unacceptable thus these people should be oppressed from showing them. Equally I could claim gays holding hands are unacceptable thus they should refrain from doing so. In both scenarios you are causing a negative impact on someone doing something that has no negative impact on you.

The only real difference here is one is in one scenario it's still acceptable to voice your opposition and prejudices i.e. people shouldn't show nipples because of "indecent exposure".

My opposition do indecent exposure does not stem from prejudice, as that would indicate that I have a preconceived dislike of nipples. I can assure you, I don't.

I am against indecent exposure as it is inappropriate in our society, in the same way that queue-jumping, littering or spitting is.
My opposition do indecent exposure does not stem from prejudice, as that would indicate that I have a preconceived dislike of nipples. I can assure you, I don't.

I am against indecent exposure as it is inappropriate in our society, in the same way that queue-jumping, littering or spitting is.

Showing nipples =/= spitting in the street or queue jumping.

Queue jumping has a direct negative impact on the person that has been queue jumped, they are being cheated out of their position by someone doing something directly to disadvantage them.

Spitting in the street is a bit trickier, if there is evidence to suggest spitting in the street is unsanitary as in it creates a unsanitary environment for others, then this can justifiably be disapproved of. Although I'm not really sure if spitting alone has an impact on sanitary conditions.

Showing nipples on the other hand has no negative impact on anyone. Simply walking around with nipples out causes no direct harm to anyone and any offence caused is merely a product of your own prejudice. It is entirely manifested within your own brain. The very act of walking around with nipples out does absolutely nothing to you. In this case your objections to it is you causing a negative impact on someone doing something that has no negative impact on you. Therefore your analogy/comparison of spitting and queue jumping to nipple showing is false.

It might well be the case that society has rejected nakedness and the showing of nipples but that doesn't mean society is correct. It seems society is still stuck on ideas of morality and 'indecent exposure' as dictated by religious teaches of shame. These doctrines unfortunately fall short of any logical reasoning though.
Reply 68
In a way I feel saddened that such a group even feel the need to exist. I think that when breastfeeding, sunbathing, in a spa or on a beach it should be perfectly normal for a woman to be topless, and pass without comment. There are places where I want everyone to cover up, male or female, regardless.

This.

The attitude mainland Europe has towards nudity/topless women sees to be the most logical.
(edited 9 years ago)
In scenarios where men are allowed to have their nipples out, women should be able to have theirs out. Rihanna wearing that dress that showed her nipples was talked about for a day and then forgotten. It isn't as big an issue as people think it is in my opinion.
Original post by Jaima_
I understand, but the nipple is also a very sexual aspect of the female body, and is (I hate to sound patronizing) a part of the breast.

Yeah, we've established this. But I'm arguing that it shouldn't be as the only difference between male and female nipples (other than the ability to breastfeed from them) is the breast, but as you can show any part of the breast other than the nipple, the breast itself clearly isn't the issue.
Original post by Katie_p
But there are 3 generations who haven't always seen it and would mind! Yes, in an ideal world, we might not care that much about nudity, but just because we shouldn't see something as sexual doesn't mean that we don't, and I can't overwrite the fact that if I see boobs, I either think "yum" or "yuk" depending on how attractive they are! It's not fair to the people I'd yuk at to get that reaction, or the people I'd yum at to be perved on, or to ME to have to react like this becase I've effectively been conditioned to it, and then deal with the anger of the people I've offended by the reaction I can't help.

Obviously if people choose to get a body part out it's unreasonable if they get annoyed at other people looking/having opinions. It's the same as with guys taking their tops off - those with nice bodies get 'perved' at and those without people find I appealing but no one gets upset.
Original post by redferry
You should try going to the beach in Europe. Pretty women can walk around there topless without being harassed, mind blowing I know!!!

Oh and taking photos of anyone topless without their consent is very illegal :\

The reason taking topless photos of women is illegal is because of the sexualisation of the breast - it goes alongside the fact that exposing it isn't allowed. If if were accepted for women to walk topless in public, they would be captured on CCTV etc - same as any men who walk topless - and exposed to the same sort of photograph. You can't suggest freeing the nipple but feel it's a violation if we actually free the nipple and no longer consider it private etc.
Reply 73
It's cringy enough to see a guy walking around without his top on, so I wouldn't be keen to double that. That being said, I don't really think what you can wear should be policed. Breastfeeding should certainly be fine.

Interested to know what their stance is on underage girls "freeing the nipple".
Original post by joker12345
The reason taking topless photos of women is illegal is because of the sexualisation of the breast - it goes alongside the fact that exposing it isn't allowed. If if were accepted for women to walk topless in public, they would be captured on CCTV etc - same as any men who walk topless - and exposed to the same sort of photograph. You can't suggest freeing the nipple but feel it's a violation if we actually free the nipple and no longer consider it private etc.

Yeah but if someone was taking pictures of a man walking round topless that wpuld still be illegal sureley? You need to give permission to be photographed by a randomer?
Original post by redferry
Yeah but if someone was taking pictures of a man walking round topless that wpuld still be illegal sureley? You need to give permission to be photographed by a randomer?

Not in a public place.
Original post by 8472
damn. I wrote the wrong thing. Not pussy. I mean pussy. ... you see. Pussy as in pus or is it puss. I don't know. You know. liquidy growth.

best typo ever
Original post by minimarshmallow
Not in a public place.

Hm never new that.
I'm definitely in support. I think it's unfair that women get to see men topless easily in public and on TV, but us poor men rarely get to see women topless in public. Freeing the nipple will greatly increase the level of happiness in society. :smile:
Reply 79
Ergh, I am sick and tired of seeing the continuous generalisation that all humans are genetically programmed to 1) be attracted to the opposite sex and 2) basically want to shag everyone and anyone of the opposite sex. It is a generalisation that is far too outdated in our modern society. Not every single human wants to have sex all of the time and with anyone that will give them the time of day. Therefore, yes, while nipples are sexualised and etc, it is ridiculous to always say that it means men will uncontrollably drool over them. We have control! We pride ourselves with being the most advanced species so why do we then, at our own convenience, reduce our abilities to deterministic genetic inheritance!?

If women were allowed to walk around topless, it doesn't have to mean they are automatically asking for attention anymore than vice versa.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending